Are the Hall's to blame for the transfer saga

stozo

Reading between the lines so I could (and probobly am) be wrong but thinking back could Shepherd's commments last week telling Hall to sell up or pull together with us have been refering to him not giving any money spend.

I mean after all Hall is the majority shareholder so he sould be the one digging into his pocket if we haven't got enough money.

No. The board have never stumped up their own money for a player ever (apart from the single infamous time). Hall has no direct control over the club's finances, that is all in the hands of Shepherd as he is the Chairman and CEO, John Hall's position is largely ceremonial anyway, I'm not sure it carries any power whatsoever.

Guest NSMagpie

They are not to be blamed directly as they don't run the club. But since they own 41,6% of total shares, and since the fate of looming takeovers was in their hands ultimately, they have to bear some part of the responsibility, as everyone knew potential new owners would have invested in new players- either Polygon or Belgravia.

seriously guys stop fretting over transfer we will sign someone, no doubt about it.  be too much uproar otherwise

Looking forward to it, the sacking of Fred that is.

Why do you want him sacked?

Why do you think a replacement will be better?

I look forward with interest to this information that will convince me it is guaranteed a new board is certain to choose a manager who will bring success to the club, and also the information that proves this new Board will support financially any new manager as much as the current Board has done for successive managers.

Thanks in advance

They are not to be blamed directly as they don't run the club. But since they own 41,6% of total shares, and since the fate of looming takeovers was in their hands ultimately, they have to bear some part of the responsibility, as everyone knew potential new owners would have invested in new players- either Polygon or Belgravia.

Not convinced that the Halls (or the board) are responsible for these proposed takeovers failing to go any further than looking at the books (due process?). As far as i'm aware no actual bid was made and therefore rejected by the shareholders. SJH is reportedly keen to sell up so I can't see him actively wanting to put a spanner in the works with those two prospective buyers of his shares.

seriously guys stop fretting over transfer we will sign someone, no doubt about it.  be too much uproar otherwise

I look forward with interest to this information that will convince me it is guaranteed a new board is certain to choose a manager who will bring success to the club, and also the information that proves this new Board will support financially any new manager as much as the current Board has done for successive managers.

Thanks in advance

You know HTL....you are right with regards to the point that no one knows if a new board would be better...

But tell me something, why do you personally think we're in this mess at the moment? And why in your opinion have we not moved fast enough to secure signings this window, given our state of injuries and especially that we didn't have a game for 10 days (until Villa), which at least would have given any new players at least a bit of gel-time with their teammates in training?

IMO its Fat Fred fault that Newcastle are mid table team right now

When SBR was in charge we were fighting for the title and we were top 4 team.And then it came the summer of 2004 and all the Rooney saga,Kluivert and Butt signings who alot of people think that was Fat Fred buys not SBR.And after 4-5 games SBR was sacked in the most disgusting manner.And after that what followed...

It was Fat Fred fault that he hired Souness and it was his fault that instead of trying to bring one of the best managers in the world(Hitzfeld)he appointed Roeder

But that worksfor Fat Fread because he can control Roeder like a clown and Roeder wont say anything

Freddy Shepherd is the cancer which is pulling this club down in the deep shit

And anyone who things that Shepherd is doing this club any good is wrong IMO

When SBR was in charge we were fighting for the title and we were top 4 team.And then it came the summer of 2004 and all the Rooney saga,Kluivert and Butt signings who alot of people think that was Fat Fred buys not SBR.And after 4-5 games SBR was sacked in the most disgusting manner.And after that what followed...

It was Fat Fred fault that he hired Souness and it was his fault that instead of trying to bring one of the best managers in the world(Hitzfeld)he appointed Roeder

But that worksfor Fat Fread because he can control Roeder like a clown and Roeder wont say anything

could not agree more and what a sorry state we are now in  :angry8:a bloddy laughing stock in the game.

Guest eyeball_tickler

No. The board have never stumped up their own money for a player ever (apart from the single infamous time). Hall has no direct control over the club's finances, that is all in the hands of Shepherd as he is the Chairman and CEO, John Hall's position is largely ceremonial anyway, I'm not sure it carries any power whatsoever.

brian kilcline  :smitten:

Thanks in advance

You know HTL....you are right with regards to the point that no one knows if a new board would be better...

But tell me something, why do you personally think we're in this mess at the moment? And why in your opinion have we not moved fast enough to secure signings this window, given our state of injuries and especially that we didn't have a game for 10 days (until Villa), which at least would have given any new players at least a bit of gel-time with their teammates in training?

I think we're in this mess because the Board made a huge error by appointing Souness. It will take time to recover but that is what is happening right now. Remember that Souness took a team that for 3 seasons finished 4th, 3rd then 5th and was backed by the Board with nearly £50m but made such a shit job of it he turned us into near relegation standard. Had he been competent we wouldn't be having this exchange now and nobody would be slagging Fred. Well maybe a few might still be slagging Fred if we only managed to finish 2nd.

I'm still not sure Roeder is the right man in the longer term but the money is not there for the club to buy it's way out of this mess, so we need to be patient and we need a manager who can turn it around in the short term without needing to spend another £50m.

Why do you think we're in this mess?

Tripe.

Tripe.

Which part do you think is tripe?

Tripe.

All of it.

Sorry, like.

Tripe.

All of it.

Sorry, like.

got to agree with nufc06 . DOWN SHEP :blob8:

Tripe.

All of it.

Sorry, like.

You have to stop using this drugs mate :o :o

Thanks in advance

OK - Shepherd has taken us from a position of strength, one of the top 5 certainly, to begging for loan players.

His LUNATIC idea to give the job to Souness has cost this club horrendously dear.

Relegation still isnt out of the question.

I'd say Shepherd has been an unmitigated disaster for NUFC.

Certainly, asset strippers are not a plus, but that was said about the yank taking over at Man U. That never happened did it ?

I believe that FFS record at Newcastle is below abysmal and a change can't make it any worse.

OK - Shepherd has taken us from a position of strength, one of the top 5 certainly, to begging for loan players.

His LUNATIC idea to gibve the job to Souness has cost this club horrendously dear.

Certainly, asset strippers are not a plus, but that was said about the yank taking over at Man U. That never happened did it ?

I believe that FFS record at Newcastle is below abysmal and a change can't make it any worse.

It's a good job we haven't gone backwards and have had shite boards in the past. :coolsmiley:

Thanks in advance

His LUNATIC idea to gibve the job to Souness has cost this club horrendously dear.

Phil, do you really believe Fred selects and appoints managers on his own?

I've said many times the appointment of Souness was a terrible decision by the Board. I also believe the Board missed an opportunity after we finished 3rd to move Robson to another role and appoint a new manager to take the club to the next stage. The signs on the field of performances dropping off were obvious during the latter part of that season. These are two major mistakes made by the Board imo. I don't believe this is enough to say the Board is shit overall and that they should go, but the appointment of Roeder must turn out to be correct and not another error, because if they've got this wrong I'd say that should be a final error. I say that despite the gamble involved in a new Board coming in. You can't assume a new Board will throw millions at allowing a manager to build a team, they could just as easily settle for merely being in the top flight, I think it is naive to believe there can only be one outcome.

As I keep repeating, all a Board can do is back their man and hope he is the right choice. Despite what some may believe, there is no guarantee any new Board will do either of those things any better than the current one.

Guest Knightrider

Thanks in advance

I've said many times the appointment of Souness was a terrible decision by the Board. I also believe the Board missed an opportunity after we finished 3rd to move Robson to another role and appoint a new manager to take the club to the next stage. The signs on the field of performances dropping off were obvious during the latter part of that season. These are two major mistakes made by the Board imo. I don't believe this is enough to say the Board is shit overall and that they should go, but the appointment of Roeder must turn out to be correct and not another error, because if they've got this wrong I'd say that should be a final error. I say that despite the gamble involved in a new Board coming in. You can't assume a new Board will throw millions at allowing a manager to build a team, they could just as easily settle for merely being in the top flight, I think it is naive to believe there can only be one outcome.

As I keep repeating, all a Board can do is back their man and hope he is the right choice. Despite what some may believe, there is no guarantee any new Board will do either of those things any better than the current one.

I agree with a lot of the above points, especially the bit about better the devil you know and that among all the crap there has been some good, the expansion of SJP, the academy and the backing of managers but I think they have made more errors than just appointing Souness and then Roeder, there have been many minor errors that have all escalated to bigger ones along the way, moments of indecision, moments of panic, moments of rash spending etc.

I wouldn't blame any one individual but as the Chairman and self appointed CEO FS has to shoulder most of the blame as the head of the company, just like the manager will shoulder the blame for what happens on the pitch.

There is a lot more a board can and should do than simply backing their man as well, sadly for us this is where our board fall down, if it was just about funding their manager, there would be no argument but it isn't. Our transfer policy regarding purchases and sales is a disaster, any long-term planning is almost non-existent and the nepatism is unhealthy. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Like you said though, until someone better comes a long we're stuck with them and can onlu hope. I myself gave up a long time ago, I neither trust them or have any faith in them whatsoever. They don't have many lives left, they've spent lots but with no reward, they've hired and fired to no reward, they've made promises to no reward, something will have to give sooner or later because the club can NOT keep going on this way because the longer we do, the chance of relegation or financial ruin increases and that will be the end of the club as we know it for a long long time.

Thanks in advance

I agree with a lot of the above points, especially the bit about better the devil you know and that among all the crap there has been some good, the expansion of SJP, the academy and the backing of managers but I think they have made more errors than just appointing Souness and then Roeder, there have been many minor errors that have all escalated to bigger ones along the way, moments of indecision, moments of panic, moments of rash spending etc.

I wouldn't blame any one individual but as the Chairman and self appointed CEO FS has to shoulder most of the blame as the head of the company, just like the manager will shoulder the blame for what happens on the pitch.

The only reason people are discussing this subject is because of the shite performances on the pitch, which as you say, is down to the manager.

I'm really not at all certain how the Board can predict backing a proven manager with nearly £50m would result in the team dropping from a consistent top 5 team to mediocrity. I also don't see how the Board can predict Robson not taking the League Cup seriously when we had a team good enough to win it. I don't see how the Board should shoulder the blame for the players failing to turn up for 2 cup finals, for failing to turn up for a couple of semi finals and even being unlucky in one semi final. They put everything in place for successive managers to bring success to the club, it is the managers who have failed.