WHY, OH WHY, NEWCASTLE?! Yanks Abroad

Guest hawayman

Oldest professional club in the world?

What strip do they play in?

The black and white stripes are the original and best. Taking the piss out of them really is showing a total lack of knowledge of the history of the game.

Hooray for thick yank twats and the internet though. Need something to feel good about.

Guest nyscooby

NUFC might not be a very succesfull club but they are very big on the world rankings, simple as that....

Sounds like a little sour grapes to me...

If the OO is so dam good then why has he not been snapped up by the CFC or MUFC's of this world?

Maybe he wants to learn about his trade and learn from the lower club status of NUFC rather than be a bench warmer for CFC and walk away with a medal every season.

And until this huge b@stard has shown us his true colours then everyone who thinks hes world class should belt up.

i guess some of my fellow country men actually thought he'd be playing at the likes of Man U or chelsea.  But given the clubs history, espescially in recent years, its really stupid to think that he is too good for us, especially when he hasnt played a game for us yet and has been in belgium for a while.

It's unfair to pin the blame on the gooch for the dumbass that wrote the piece. Obviously gooch was smart enough to realize newcastle was a great place for him to be, he's said all the right things, and who knows, he may even actually want to be here. It's possible that he received interest from Chelsea or manure, but decided he liked newcastle more or at least that playing time was more important than big-name. up to now, he seems to have made good choices for his development, so i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. hopefully he does well once he gets acclimated to the premiership, and then decides that newcastle is the right place for him in the future, which is what he's said so far.

It's unfair to pin the blame on the gooch for the dumbass that wrote the piece. Obviously gooch was smart enough to realize newcastle was a great place for him to be, he's said all the right things, and who knows, he may even actually want to be here. It's possible that he received interest from Chelsea or manure, but decided he liked newcastle more or at least that playing time was more important than big-name. up to now, he seems to have made good choices for his development, so i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. hopefully he does well once he gets acclimated to the premiership, and then decides that newcastle is the right place for him in the future, which is what he's said so far.

I think that Onyewu is relatively ambitious actually. Compared to others on the national squad. Seeing that both Boro and Fulham showed an interest and he chose to come here-- it is a bigger challenge. 

US Nat stars end up places like Fulham, Watford, and Reading-- and do well there. Not Man Utd or Chelsea.

Hat tip to Coleman- he has identified and bought the best American talent for pretty cheap. Yes, folks McBride, Bocanegra, and Dempsey are just about the best the US has. No surprise he was going after Onyewu as well. With Fulham's budget and the insane prices being asked for mediocre English talent, Americans are pretty good buys.

That, and they sell Fulham merchandise in the US  ;)

Guest thenorthumbrian

I'm not an anti-American by any means, but I'm not joking or exagerrating when I say this:  most Americans pick their favourite "soccer" team based on the colours of the shirt and success on the pitch.  They make the average Man Utd bandwagoner look loyal.  They think Landon Donovan is world class, that Beckham is a great footballer and that Chelsea are a historically a succesful club.  No offence to the women on this board, but chatting with an American about football is like trying to explain it to your girlfriend.  They just miss the point entirely. 

On ESPN in the Summer I heard Paulo Wanchope, Jared Borgetti and Kasey Keller, amongst amusing others, described as "world class" - all in complete seriousness. The "soccer" coverage over your way is diabolical. They will "get it" some day, hopefully. Until that point, I hope USA do as well as they did in 2006.

"World class" is bandied about too easily, and not just by Americans.

Lets face it a player can half a decent season in the premiership and a sniff of the england squad and they get called world class.

i hate this kind of shite from one of my countrymen.  it puts me in a very defensive posture because hey, believe it or not there are things to really love about america (hold your applause please  ;)) but we certainly aren't perfect and we don't need idiots like this schmuck making it WORSE!   this ickel masturbator or however you spell his name is the exact reason people hate americans.  the ugly american was never truer than when some knucklehead like this spouts off like he knows everything.  even though usa 'soccer' fans are the jonny come lately's to the party.  

i'm an american and i've been a member of this board since it was Howaythetoon.com.  when i first joined i didn't post for weeks, i just read and soaked up the wisdom of others.  i figured that even though i've been a footballer for more than 35 years, and a coach of the game as well, i could learn a lot from the people who invented the game and have played/watched it at a much higher level of quality than i.  and i did learn and i believe i'm a better coach and player for it.  and while i'm never going to win 'most knowledgeable poster' i have been agreed with a few times when i give an opinion here.  really though most people just politely ignore me.   :coolsmiley:

anyway, while i joined to keep up with the team i love, i knew that i ought to recognise my place as an ignorant newcomer to the tradition & history of NUFC and keep my mouth shut.  why can't this moist fart do the same?  

all that just to apologise for the idiots we've got carrying USA passports out there and a request that you won't throw us all out with the trash.

rant over

have a nice day, y'all :)

My favorite "typical American" story is from the WC this summer. I was watching the USA/Italy game in a bar with this girl who was "supporting" the US. When the game got started, she asked me where Beckham was. She seemed confused and disappointed to find out he doesn't play on the US National team. Then, she kept asking "why don't they play better?" and "why do they keep kicking the ball backwards?" and "how come that guy keeps raising that flag?" Then, when McBride got the elbow in the face, it was "Oh, no! He was the cute one!"

Longest 90 minutes of my life, but she was the friend of a friend and not bad looking, so I bit my tongue and taught her at least the basic rules of the game, trying to at least get a date or two out of it. No such luck. Alright in the end, though, since I'd likely have wound up shouting at her midway through the first date about what an idiot she was.

Guest SmileyCulture

My favorite "typical American" story is from the WC this summer. I was watching the USA/Italy game in a bar with this girl who was "supporting" the US. When the game got started, she asked me where Beckham was. She seemed confused and disappointed to find out he doesn't play on the US National team. Then, she kept asking "why don't they play better?" and "why do they keep kicking the ball backwards?" and "how come that guy keeps raising that flag?" Then, when McBride got the elbow in the face, it was "Oh, no! He was the cute one!"

Longest 90 minutes of my life, but she was the friend of a friend and not bad looking, so I bit my tongue and taught her at least the basic rules of the game, trying to at least get a date or two out of it. No such luck. Alright in the end, though, since I'd likely have wound up shouting at her midway through the first date about what an idiot she was.

I would love to see someone try to explain the multiple interpretations refs have of the offside rule to someone like that :p

(not that the fact the ref's/linesman cant make up their minds about this rule has'nt helped us in the past ofcourse)

No i haven't been to St. James, although I very nearly wiped out my savings to get there for the games against Birmingham and West Ham, kind of glad I didn't.  But I'll be there for sure next season.  When I was growing up they really didn't show much of any English league matches so I didn't have any real connections to any single team, then I went to England when I was 13 or so and admittedly was in awe watching Shearer and from that I started following Newcastle.  I'm 26 now and have been following the toon ever since.  Most of my friends are Man U or Arsenal fans, just like everyone else over here it seems.

just me being picky but he didn't play for us when you where 13 :rolleyes: so you must have been older, probably 15 :cheesy:

i hate this kind of shite from one of my countrymen.  it puts me in a very defensive posture because hey, believe it or not there are things to really love about america (hold your applause please  ;)) but we certainly aren't perfect and we don't need idiots like this schmuck making it WORSE!   this ickel masturbator or however you spell his name is the exact reason people hate americans.  the ugly american was never truer than when some knucklehead like this spouts off like he knows everything.  even though usa 'soccer' fans are the jonny come lately's to the party.  

i'm an american and i've been a member of this board since it was Howaythetoon.com.  when i first joined i didn't post for weeks, i just read and soaked up the wisdom of others.  i figured that even though i've been a footballer for more than 35 years, and a coach of the game as well, i could learn a lot from the people who invented the game and have played/watched it at a much higher level of quality than i.  and i did learn and i believe i'm a better coach and player for it.  and while i'm never going to win 'most knowledgeable poster' i have been agreed with a few times when i give an opinion here.  really though most people just politely ignore me.   :coolsmiley:

anyway, while i joined to keep up with the team i love, i knew that i ought to recognise my place as an ignorant newcomer to the tradition & history of NUFC and keep my mouth shut.  why can't this moist fart do the same?  

all that just to apologise for the idiots we've got carrying USA passports out there and a request that you won't throw us all out with the trash.

rant over

have a nice day, y'all :)

no problem, there are idiots everywhere in the world, lol

Is it the American public's fault, though?  They're spoon fed so much shite by the sports media and the media in general that they just "go with flow" and cheer for teams the pundits talk about the most.  Here in Toronto, there's more plastic support for Liverpool than Man U or Chelsea.  It's like Pool are the hip club to get behind.  I'd imagine if I wasn't of Geordie blood that I'd cheer for one of the top 4.  Probably Arsenal as they're the least annoying of them all.  (to me, at least.)

You're right. The little media we get is very top four-centric. But then isn't the national media in England as well? The papers I read online inevitably lead with Man Utd or Mourinho.

Following Man Utd. etc. makes life a little easier. You've got to put some effort into following football in this country... and pay through the nose for cable access. At least there are groups of fans that you can meet up with to watch games at a pub on Saturday or Sunday morning.

If you are following a team that nobody knows are cares about (that is, if they care about football at all), you really don't get the opportunity to talk about your passion.... that is unless you go online. Which, I suppose explains the high number of non-Geordies on these boards.

Well, from my time spent in the UK (Mostly in the Toon or London), it's similar yeah.  Although, if you live in the Toon or Brum for example, you get local coverage.  Which, you would get if you lived in any corresponding city in the states.  Indianapolis = Colts, Pacers and local College/University sports.  You won't get that with the EPL over here.  It's the top 4, then whoever is making enough noise behind those get some coverage (quite little in comparison).  I'm not sure how you cope with these twat's on Fox Soccer Channel or ESPN's Man U wankfest, but I can't even stomach 30s. 

There are mostly Liverpool wank circles (plastic support) that get together at the big footie pub here in Toronto (as previously stated).  Watching these cunts all clap together at the big screen when Reessay (Riise) makes a tackle is hilarious to say the least.  Sorry Rafa, you seem like a good bloke (Leafs beat the Rangers last night :thup: ), but I absolutley hate Liverpool for the above reason. 

If you can believe it, there's a fucking Cockney Mackem wank circle at the same pub.  It consists of a couple of blokes in their 50's who drag their wives to the pub clad in Spurs Kit.  I'm pretty sure I saw one of the wives knitting during the match. 

The most annoying bit is wearing the Toon Kit and hearing the "referee shirt" comment every ten minutes.  The bonus is when I walk through 'Little Italy' here and cunts think I'm wearing a Juve kit.  I was thinking of changing the Shearer on the back to Shearoni for personal amusement. 

Speaking of the Italians, they have a few local cable channels here and I've noticed they have a soccer show where a couple of gino's gather round a pizza oven to talk about the top 4 clubs in that country.  They must be taking the lead from bigger media outlets. 

Rant over.  :thup: 

That feels better.  :)