Cameron would like to bring terraces back

Nobby

Conservative Party leader David Cameron has suggested a Tory government would welcome the return of terraces to English football grounds.

Cameron said there was evidence that other countries managed to organise safe standing areas, and pledged to launch a review of the current strict regulations in the UK if he came to power.

But he insisted the "first priority" must always be safety following the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, in which more than 90 fans died.

Answering questions from visitors to his website, the Tory leader said: "Obviously the first priority here has got to be safety after the dreadful events at Hillsborough. We really have to bear that in mind.

"But I understand the point that other countries manage to organise things in a slightly different way, and there may be some more modern ways of organising the limited seating areas.

"What I would say is that when we come into government I would ask the sports minister to review the existing regulations to take into account the views of the football authorities, the police, the clubs, the fans, and we will have a really good look at this."

More than 100 MPs have signed an early-day motion from Mike Hancock, Lib Dem member for Portsmouth South, calling on the Government to "re-examine the case for limited sections of safe standing areas".

Currently football clubs in England's top two divisions are legally obliged to have all-seater stadia.

Sports minister Richard Caborn - MP for Sheffield Central at the time of the Hillsborough disaster - has expressed his opposition to reintroducing terraces.

But he has agreed to meet supporters of the campaign in light of support for the EDM.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=cameron+backs+terraces&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I think a lot of people would welcome this, but I still suspect he might be talking-up the issue for political gain. As long as it can be done without the massive fences and nets they have in some grounds in Europe then it should be good.

I do think the link between standing and atmosphere is overstated though, surely the biggest cause of a reduction in singing is the increasing ticket prices (which I think should be challenged) and the increased diversity of crowds (more women etc, which I don't think should be challenged)?

How desperate is Cameron!?!

:lol:

Talk is cheap, extremely cheap, if it's in their manifesto I might believe it, even then it'd probably come to nothing.

Oh, by the way, if the indi party wins the next general election then I'd set up a review to look into rewarding the members of Newcastle-Online with £5bn each, by way of a thank you. Obviously, after the Great Depression and the recession of the 1990s, the financial stability of the UK needs to be of utmost importance, ;) ;) but we'd certainly look at the idea.

Is this a good thing?

Do we need to bring them back?

It wont change the atmosphere unless standing is cheap as dirt and then you'd get the more 'risky' football fans back in the grounds.

Agreed, I reckon there might be more than a little bit of "things were better when I were a lad" style sentimentality in the enthusiasm for bringing back standing at the footy. It's not the introduction of sitting down that has forced the traditional fan away from the grounds, (do their legs not bend in the middle, or something!?!) it's the vastly inflated ticket prices. I suspect some of the clubs that support the idea just see it as a way of squeezing more people into the ground and therefore increasing revenue without having to shell-out to make the ground larger. With the current popularity for standing they could probably charge the same as for a seat, maybe even more, to those who want to stand!!

Guest Kenton Magpie

It will stop women who go to the game to talk with a mate about the past week in soap land from turning up and crippling the atmosphere

In the same way that he "backs" medicinal weed and the touchy feely green environmental stuff I#d imagine.  Willing to pay lip service to it, but no intention whatsoever of taking a risk by actually doing owt about it.

When he does the whole new groovy compasionate conservative angle with no links to the previous bunch of evil demons, he conveniently  fails to mention he's the guy who wrote Micheal Howard's manifesto.

It will stop women who go to the game to talk with a mate about the past week in soap land from turning up and crippling the atmosphere

Why would it?

First time some one pisses in their back pocket will probably put them off.

Why would it?

Blokes like this?

Why would it?

Blokes like this?

Cameron?

Bullshit. They'd do nothing about terracing.

Tory desperation, jumping on every passing bandwagon for a few votes. Especially if the target audience is the working class male that will usually vote Labour.

Guest Bubbles

David Cunteron is a puppet having his strings pulled by the NaziTory party to try & make the public believe they have changed but they're the fathers of the BNP

David Cunteron is a puppet having his strings pulled by the NaziTory party to try & make the public believe they have changed but they're the fathers of the BNP

The way Bush was marketed as a "compassionate conservative" in the States; Basically, a smiley sockpuppet for a group of extremists (neo-cons).

The terrace thing sounds pretty hollow.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I think a lot of people would welcome this, but I still suspect he might be talking-up the issue for political gain.

I think Sherlock Holmes here is on to something.

Guest TheDutchman

In Holland FC Heerenveen has a stand with terraces for the fanatic supporters behind the goal. And when they play for the uefa cup the seats are back for those particular matches. The fanatic supportes of all the other dutch clubs want the terraces back too. They're standing the entire match anyway. And that is allowed in some parts of the stadium. In England its forbidden to stand up during the match?

In Holland FC Heerenveen has a stand with terraces for the fanatic supporters behind the goal. And when they play for the uefa cup the seats are back for those particular matches. The fanatic supportes of all the other dutch clubs want the terraces back too. They're standing the entire match anyway. And that is allowed in some parts of the stadium. In England its forbidden to stand up during the match?

yes but newcastle fans do it at away matches anyway

In Holland FC Heerenveen has a stand with terraces for the fanatic supporters behind the goal.

They have alot of this in Germany too and the atmosphere is better than the so called 'best atmosphere in the world' you get over here rubbish. EPL is overrated in this respect

Of course standing would make for a better atmousphere. I don't know about anyone else but im certainly more likely to sing or try and get chants started if Im with my mates, who are guaranteed to join in. I think thats one of the reasons there's always better/louder/more original songs at away matches, although obviously the drink is also a factor. I must know at least 20 or 30 people at each match, but everyones all over the ground. If there was a standing section, everyone could stand next to who they wanted, instead of some of the miserable ignorant twats we all get stuck with every week.

I really can't see how terracing isn't allowed when you see the front of some gigs, where people getting trampled, fainting etc is expected.

But regardless ill be dead in the cold hard earth before ill ever vote for the tories.

Guest Sniffer

He's got my vote.

Newcastle's ground has very little atmosphere compared to the sixties and seventies. That's when men were men at tthe match  :knuppel2:

Bring back the old days.

Guest TheDutchman

i will never ever vote for them after Maggie

Talking about politics, what more do you have next to Labour and Torys? Those 2 are the only parties I hear about in Holland.

i will never ever vote for them after Maggie

Talking about politics, what more do you have next to Labour and Torys? Those 2 are the only parties I hear about in Holland.

green party who get about 2 votes, lib dems which gets about 3, bnp