Robert is playing

ATB

Robert is an exact replica of Luque...

Name me a better midfielder in the last 25 years.

Goals scored.

Goals made.

Rob Lee

Gavin Peacock

Scott Sellars

Nobby Solano

Peter Beardsley (played in midfield under KK)

All better than Robert as players, regardless.

True. I really don't get the "Robert Wankfest" some people have STILL got going on. He was lucky to have Speed covering for him most of the time he was in the side and even more fortunate to cross balls into Shearer that any normal forward would have no right to win. Having Bellamy "harrying" everything didn't hurt either.

Guest mishka17

Robert under Sir Bobby Robson was class-with exceptions ofcourse. Goals, assists, dribbling-like set up for Nobby's goal against blackburn when we won 5-1. Even under Souness, we played badly, Roberts goes on the pitch and sets up a goal etc. - rare view, but it happend few times...and we all know what happend later.... now he's shite-that's a fact

I can't see how people could get more excited by Scott Sellars then Robert. Some of the shit Robert pulled off was mind-boggling: the most exciting player we've had for donkeys.

More exciting than Ginola? Bellamy? Martins? Beardsley? Not for me.

I can't see how people could get more excited by Scott Sellars then Robert. Some of the Do, do, do, the funky gibbon Robert pulled off was mind-boggling: the most exciting player we've had for donkeys.

Sellars didn't excite me more than Robert, just thought he was a good player.

Guest Knightrider

Whoever said Gavin Peacock is a moron. Factamundo. :lol: Average Premiership/top Division One striker at best...like Chopra really.

The question asked who was a better player FOR the Toon, din't say in which league. Peacock was massive for us in our promotion year and before that nhis goals and assists kept us up. It is easy to say Robert but he had a master striker in Shearer to put those crosses away (his corners were poor and so were many of his other crosses) and a manager who gave him the freedom to basically to do what he wanted. He had a real purple patch when he first joined that fizzed out after 6 months, after that he become a once in so many games type of player. As I already said he was a decent player for us overall (he did cost nearly £10m mind) but the way soem harp on you'd think he was Pele or something, especially towards his final year or so at the club when really, he just wasn't performing. In fact ironically his best form post his arrival came in a barmy 8 week spell under Souness when we won 8 games off the trot, that was the best we saw of Robert, scoring, creating and my god, actually tracking back and working hard, which is what Souness asked of him, shame he didn't keep it up and shame he kept going to the papers to say how hard done by he was... on those wages? Fuck off Laurent which he did and at the right time for the club because he was past his best.

Sorry I should of elaborated. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain Robert was far more successful, but he was playing a far more successful side. If you analyse the two as individuals they're fairly similar.

First of all look at their physical attributes: powerful left foot, no pace, bucket fulls of technical ability, etc...

The difference in success is simply a sign of the times, both players are luxary players if you like, they're both particulaly tempromental. Under Bobby Robson we were playing good stuff, the team didn't require Robert to put a lot of effort in, he could do his own thing and express himself. Under Roeder we're often on the back foot and we require the midfield to come back and help the defence, Luque isn't allowed to express himself as Robert was.

If Luque played in the Robson era there is no doubt he would have had more success and if Robert had played in the Souness/ Roeder era he would have had significantly less sucess. They're not as different as their record's suggest...

Robert was part of what made us a better side, he was a catalyst along with Bellamy for moving us from medicority to a top 6 side. Luque is a w*anker.

Sorry I should of elaborated. It's obvious to anyone with half a brain Robert was far more successful, but he was playing a far more successful side. If you analyse the two as individuals they're fairly similar.

First of all look at their physical attributes: powerful left foot, no pace, bucket fulls of technical ability, etc...

The difference in success is simply a sign of the times, both players are luxary players if you like, they're both particulaly tempromental. Under Bobby Robson we were playing good stuff, the team didn't require Robert to put a lot of effort in, he could do his own thing and express himself. Under Roeder we're often on the back foot and we require the midfield to come back and help the defence, Luque isn't allowed to express himself as Robert was.

If Luque played in the Robson era there is no doubt he would have had more success and if Robert had played in the Souness/ Roeder era he would have had significantly less sucess. They're not as different as their record's suggest...

Robert was part of what made us a better side, he was a catalyst along with Bellamy for moving us from medicority to a top 6 side. Luque is a w*anker. You're posting shite.

and you're posting your usual shite that its getting boring. At least Gemmill is consistent coz he was against both Robert and Luque based on the same reasoning that they don't put in effort defensively. You are just giving a hypocritical view of things. Although I personally go for Robert, there's no doubt that Luque was Robert without being given the oppportunity to play, if you think Luque has an attittude problem coz he looks lazy, then the same can/should be said for Robert.

Robert is an exact replica of Luque...

Name me a better midfielder in the last 25 years.

Goals scored.

Goals made.

Rob Lee

Gavin Peacock

Scott Sellars

Nobby Solano

Peter Beardsley (played in midfield under KK)

All better than Robert as players, regardless.

True. I really don't get the "Robert Wankfest" some people have STILL got going on. He was lucky to have Speed covering for him most of the time he was in the side and even more fortunate to cross balls into Shearer that any normal forward would have no right to win. Having Bellamy "harrying" everything didn't hurt either.

Highlighting that it's a team game there, mate. Robert was a superb player for us who lost his way when Souness took over.  Don't forget, there were many on this forum who overnight believed Bellamy was shite as well once the Souness propaganda machine got going.

Rubbish. There is no similarity between these players at all.

Robert was part of what made us a better side, he was a catalyst along with Bellamy for moving us from medicority to a top 6 side.

Completely agree, those two made a huge difference to our game.

Kaka?

Gerrard?

That's just off the top of my head.

Agreed - but he scored some fantastic goals and made a lot more than many players never criticised on here, though.

If only he could have bothered his arse he'd have been one of the greats.

Guest Gemmill

I can't see how people could get more excited by Scott Sellars then Robert. Some of the Do, do, do, the funky gibbon Robert pulled off was mind-boggling: the most exciting player we've had for donkeys.

Has some tit put a filter on to replace something with do do do the funky gibbon?

Guest Ridzuan

I dont know what is the purpose of creating this thread actually.I thought that Robert was a great player during his time with us and I hope he could one day return and play for us again.

Has some tit put a filter on to replace something with do do do the funky gibbon?

Worst thing is, someone almost certainly thought that was cutting edge humour.

I dont know what is the purpose of creating this thread actually.I thought that Robert was a great player during his time with us and I hope he could one day return and play for us again.

I don't, would rather have Beardo or Gazza back playing for us ;)