Bring in Scolari.

Menace

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=446394&CPID=219&clid=359&lid=2&title=Scolari+eyes+English+move&channel=football_home&

Scolari eyes English move

By Peter ORourke -  Created on 6 Feb 2007

Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has admitted he would like to work in England in the future.

Scolari came close to succeeding Sven Goran Eriksson as England coach last year before pulling out of the move because of the media scrutiny he found himself under.

The Brazilian World Cup winner is currently in England with Portugal as he prepares them for a glamour friendly with his home nation and he admits he is attracted by the possibility of working in England.

"I would like to work in England," said Scolari.

"The involvement from everyone in the game is spectacular. It is a country which is very interested in football and any coach would want to work there.

"I have trained in Japan, Arabia, Kuwait, Brazil and Portugal and can adapt to any place. It depends on the proposal and offer that is made to me, the financial rewards and the standard of living.

"I have a contract with Portugal and want to help them qualify for the Euro 2008 finals, but if we don't manage to achieve that, it will not be a good situation.

"After that period I want to remain in Europe for another four or five years because my family are stable.

"I don't know where I will go in the future."

he insist on a one striker system that we are in no way suited for right now - it would take a massive change of our system a squad.

he does seem to get the results though...

A class above what we've got, but not the man i'd want here.

We cannot afford to take a chance with our next appointment, i think he would be a risk, his personality is questionable & although he's shown he can adapt in the past, we would require someone on the ball from the start, we couldn't afford a transitional period, the fans would barely allow it, and the pace clubs evolve in the EPL we could go backwards beyond repair within a season (He'd want big wages, and big money to spend on players, and if it went wrong, he misjudged or had really bad luck and were in the position to sack him, instead of being £80m in debt, we'd be £100m+ and in the same position now, maybe worse). We could easily be re-ignited and sort it all out, but its 50-50 for me if he can do it with us.

Guest Gemmill

Not gonna happen man.  It's Glenn then Alan.  It's written in the stars (or at least scribbled in the back of Shepherd's jotter under the title Planning For Success )

he insist on a one striker system that we are in no way suited for right now - it would take a massive change of our system a squad.

Whaddaya talkin' about.  We only ever have one striker fit.  If he does insist on a one-striker system as you say (I don't know) it seems its the only system we -are- perfectly suited for right now.

Alan Shearer will be our next manager. Why do you think freddy gave him the "ambassador" role. The reason is so that he can't be poached by other clubs to be their manager, without fred knowing. I suspect Roeder will have another season of mediocrity next year but will be perfect for big al to come into a stable environment with a sqaud full of youthfull players.

Even if that isn't Sheppards plan then it will be a great back up plan. 

Chelsea bound probably.

would have excactly the squad he likes there as well - drogba alone up front with two wingers and lampard supporting him

he has no problem identifying them, seems getting them here, getting their clubs to release them and getting our chairman to act professionally is the problem.

I still think we need a DOF regardless of whether its Roeder or not. This window again shows why. The manager/head coach needs to concentrate on the team, Roeder needs the transfer pressure lifted off him.

That said there is no point bringing in someone that he might not get along with as the DOF and Manger will need to work in tandem.

Tailor made for a Shearer-Roeder partnership unfortunately, if he lasts.

Guest TampaToon

DOF needs to be good at identifying targets. How does Roeder fit that bill?

his west ham side was stocked with future prem stars, and he can also claim credit for martins.  gooch may be a tidy piece of business too.  he was chasing some decent young talent this window if reports are to be believed - the problem wasn't identifying talent, it was signing it. not to mention the contributions coming out of the academy which roeder in his previous life deserves some credit for.

the guy knows how to build a team from what i've seen, and duff (who i think will come round) aside, you can't debate that he's wasted this clubs money....but there are certainly managers who can squeeze more out of the talent he's helped assemble than he has

How about Felix Magath?

Frank Rikjaard? (who is said would take a year sabbatical off football after this year with Barcelona).

How about Paul Le Guen when he was available?

Guus Hiddink? Roberto Mancini?

Don't think any of them will come, however much I hope.

Guest Eternal Reflector

I's be so happy if we could get our hands on Klinsmann  ;D

We need someone who has brings an attacking philosophy towards football, and though Scolari is not defensive, he's not that attacking either. He cuts it somewhere in between. But his stand on discipline is well known, and he takes his players under his wings and nurtures and protects them, and that can go a long way in ensuring the team's success (though if certain players in our squad need some motherly affection and guidance is open to question).

But seriously, why doesn't English football have as many attack minded coaches as Serie A or La Liga? Where are the Prandellis and Juande Ramos' ? I think only Cris Coleman has earned to be linked with our club.

And honestly, I don't think Scolari will come  :buck2:

As long as we're dreaming...

Hiddink>>>>>>>Scolari

Especially for a team like ours I would think.

I see Scolari as a manager who takes talented players and uses them right.

Hiddink is the kind of manager who specializes more in taking s*** players and knocking some sense into them so they do their jobs. I honestly think he could come in and whip up a servicable defense for us within half a season without any buys.

Could very easily turn the likes of Bramble, Ramage, and Babayaro into average, playable premiership-level defenders.

Scolari would be a big coup because itd be like appointing the highest ranking scout from Brazil and Portugal rolled into one. He no doubt knows who the good players are and at a time when were both struggling to attract players and for reasonable fees, hed surely give us a big boost in both categories.

But lets face it, Fat Fred isnt going to go for a foreign manager, especially one with no Premiership experience, since its something Shephard has never done.