Sibierski turned down longer contract with Everton

Stevie

Goals are my greatest weapons to win fansFeb 13 2007

By John Gibson, The Evening Chronicle

When dusk began to descend on transfer deadline day back in August the Geordie Toon Army, raised on extravagant signings at great cost, awaited expectantly for news of Newcastle's latest big-name acquisitions.

They had been fed the usual titbits upon which to feast their imagination - the likes of Ruud van Nistelrooy, Jonathan Woodgate, Dirk Kuyt, Thomas Gravesen, Wayne Bridge and Robert Huth had all been linked with United throughout the summer months of inactivity.

Yet come the day of reckoning - August 31 - the player unveiled was . . . Antoine Sibierski, a 32-year-old free transfer from Manchester City!

Tyneside was at first staggered, then enraged at what it perceived as a lack of ambition by those in charge.

If Newcastle did not win trophies they certainly imported the finest beef on the hoof and were not afraid to pay the going rate.

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Here, suddenly, the club's tradition of a final spectacular flourish had been ignored and 50,000 Geordies who made a fortnightly pilgrimage to St James' Park had not a new Alan Shearer or SuperMac to savour.

That Sibierski has scored seven goals - all absolutely crucial - to become something of a cult hero with his blood, sweat and tears instead of pampered preening, says much about the man.

When we meet in one of the many dressing-rooms at United's training ground Sibierski doesn't attempt to hide from the facts of life at a big club.

He simply tells it the way it is, with the honesty that is his biggest weapon on the field.

"Of course I realised the disappointment Newcastle fans felt when they heard of my signing," he told me with a shrug of acceptance.

"It is natural because this is one of the biggest clubs in Europe and the supporters have a right to expect big names signed for big money.

"Instead here I was, a free transfer, a guy who had not been playing for Manchester City.

"However, I felt I had nothing to lose. I knew I had the ability to do a job and I felt liberated again after my time at City had gone sour.

"I just wanted to enjoy my football, to be happy to come into work every day. To enjoy my career again.

"I turned down the chance to sign a two-year contract with Everton to join Newcastle on a one-year deal.

"Of course, the longer term is what footballers generally seek, but I wanted to come to Newcastle because I knew their history and the support they get on the terraces.

"I was more concerned about the environment than the money after my three years at City had gone from great days to sad ones."

Sibierski - a Frenchman who owes his surname to Polish grandparents - believed he had the weapon to change the opinion of United fans and the moral fibre stiffened by previous experience back home.

He added: "I was born in Lille and they were my first club, but later I signed for Lens.

"That was like going from Newcastle to Sunderland and my first season was really tough because the fans would not accept me. I was booed by them every time I played.

"However, I won them over by honest endeavour - and scoring goals.

"That is a great weapon to have, being an attacker who can experience the glory of goals. Supporters love nothing better.

"I knew if I showed 100 per cent commitment at Newcastle - and scored - I would prove to the fans how much I cared and that I was actually a good signing.

"Supporters are not idiots - they know the score and whether or not a player is giving his all. I felt it could not be as hard as it was at Lens."

Indeed, Sibierski got off to a flying start, scoring on his United debut just as he did for Manchester City on his first game at Charlton.

A back-post header brought a European victory away to Levadia Tallin, and he has gone on to score against Fenerbahce (h) 1-0, Watford (a) 2-2, Celta Vigo (h) 2-1, Portsmouth (h) 1-0, Reading (h) 3-2 and Aston Villa (h) 3-1.

That makes him Newcastle's second-top scorer to Oba Martins.

Even his last-minute goal against Villa was critical because they had been dominating and finally United took the game beyond them.

Glenn Roeder, normally so calm pitchside, showed how much the goal meant as a clenched fist punched the air in relief.

To notch at St James' Park when Stuart Pearce was in the stand ,after the City boss banished him to the reserves and tried to sell him behind his back, must have been even more satisfying to Sibierski.

Goals have come in Europe, the Carling Cup and the Premier League, and Antoine maintained: "I have always had the ability to score so I knew if I got the chance I would do it again.

"Now I am very happy and very grateful for the opportunity I have been given."

He insists that he is either a striker or an attacking central midfielder and not a winger.

"I was played on both wings by Pearce at City, which is where Newcastle fans might remember me, but I am not a wide player," he said.

"I was very unhappy there. My strength is getting into the penalty area to finish.

"I had not played enough games last season or played well enough because of circumstances out of my control, and therefore I thought I could not go to a bigger club.

"I knew I had the quality but I thought I had not the opportunity, so Newcastle coming in for me was a joy."

From an initial reaction of "who?" upon his signing the lanky Frenchman with the shaven head that makes him stand out like a belisha beacon has done so much to get himself noticed he has been offered a new deal by a grateful Roeder.

"The gaffer told me he wanted to give me another contract and that the chairman had agreed," said Antoine.

"I said of course I will be happy to sign. I thanked Glenn for making it a pleasure for me to play football once more..

"I think if I got a two-year contract here I would retire at the end of it.

"It would be a great way to finish off my career, being at a huge club like this one."

I think it was a very frank interview with Sibi in the paper tonight, he was fully aware that no one was happy with his signature, but he has weighed in with some important goals, and literally had we not signed him, who else could we have thown in, and he's performed admirably in some games.

He was offered a two year deal at Goodison undoubtedly worth more, as opposed to his one year deal here, which shows he's in it for the right reasons.  He even told Keegan that he'd go back to France on less money, if KK didn't fancy him, all in all he comes across as a good character.  Not too sure about giving him a new 2 year deal though. 

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0200sport/sport/tm_method=full%26objectid=18616240%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Guest andynufc84

I like Sib, I wish he had of put that header away against Man U on New Years day, f*ck me, he should have broke the net!

Decent to bring on as a sub and will weigh in with the odd goal here and there, 1 year deal would have sufficed.

Seems a decent bloke and a good professional, think he is well liked in the main at Newcastle

Thank fuck he turned us down.

I know he had a purple patch when he first signed for you and yeah, he'll do a good job for 6 months or so but 2 years? That's just ridiculous.

I know mate, it's not very good.

Love the bloke to bits and he is a cult hero - but a two year contract smacks of desperation and a major lack of ambition. If he were to be here for this season only, he would be remembered as a bit of a legend and a real fans favourites. Two more years of inevitable mediocrity, with poor, ageing displays and few goals - people probably won't look back so favourably. Which is a real shame.

Thank f*** he turned us down.

I know he had a purple patch when he first signed for you and yeah, he'll do a good job for 6 months or so but 2 years? That's just ridiculous.

You're a fan of Moyes?

Yes and no. You can't argue we're in much better shape than when he first took over, he's done a good job on the whole but I dislike his rubbish style of play and sometimes he seems clueless with the tactics.

In the transfer market he's very hit and miss. Some great buys like Arteta, Yobo, Cahill and Lescott as well as some awful ones like Beattie, Wright, Kroldrup, Davies etc there doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground with him. Sibierski on a two year deal would have been a bizarre one...

Yorkie- I think you're spot on there

I am a fan of Moyes.

I think his transfer record is slightly better than simply hit and miss.

Pretty sure I miss some others I would say Moyes has exercised due cautions in his transfer activities. I think he is currently "on form" with Lescott, Johnson, Fernandes, Howard.

Yobo (3.5m), Neville (3.5m), Lescott (5m), Valente (1.5m), Arteta(2m), Cahill(1.5m), Johnson (8.6m), Carsley (2m), Kilbane (1m)

Pistone (3m), Kroldrup (5m), Wright (3m), Van Der Meyde (2m), Beattie (6m), Davies (3.5m)

He has also done a lot for your academy. Jeffers, Rooney, Anibeche, Vaughan.

I am a fan of Moyes.

Pretty sure I miss some others I would say Moyes has exercised due cautions in his transfer activities. I think he is currently "on form" with Lescott, Johnson, Fernandes, Howard.

Yobo (3.5m), Neville (3.5m), Lescott (5m), Valente (1.5m), Arteta(2m), Cahill(1.5m), Johnson (8.6m), Carsley (2m), Kilbane (1m)

Pistone (3m), Kroldrup (5m), Wright (3m), Van Der Meyde (2m), Beattie (6m), Davies (3.5m)

Jeffers was before Moyes' time.

I am a fan of Moyes.

Out of those I'd have Neville, Johnson and Arteta as nothing more than squad players and that's really it, if we wanted to show any genuine ambition to get in the CL.

]

:lol: Another player that turned down Everton for us.

Still, got to give credit to Sib, he's done far better than I expected he would do.

Would only give him a 1 year extension though.

With them being so MASSIVE, such a worldwide renowned, massive name (without the assistance of SKY) surely he only signed for us because we were paying him 6 times more?  :bng:

I am a fan of Moyes.

Out of those I'd have Neville, Johnson and Arteta as nothing more than squad players and that's really it, if we wanted to show any genuine ambition to get in the CL.

If you wouldn't have Cahill for 1.5m then questions must be raised... I reckon he'd without doubt be first choice ahead of Parker, Butt, Emre, Dyer et al

Glad he has been a relative success for us and I really think Roeder would have been out of a job without the guy, but he has his limitations, I think we have seen the best we are going to get from Sibs and I would have preferred to part ways with the guy this summer, then again if we are not going to bring in many reinforcements then again me may need him to make up the numbers!

i like sibierski-style-signings - not when they go through, but the pleasent surprise of players like him performing much better than expected.

every team need squad players, and i think sibbers is a good one!

I am a fan of Moyes.

If you wouldn't have Cahill for 1.5m then questions must be raised... I reckon he'd without doubt be first choice ahead of Parker, Butt, Emre, Dyer et al

Mate if you ask an Everton fan, or read any of their message boards a lot of them aren't too taken with Cahill.  He does get goals from midfield, but we might as well pack up if we don't strive to get players who are of Champions League standard.  I think Mikel Arteta is a CL standard player but if we ever wanted him we'd be well back in the queue, and besides he's never said he's unhappy there.  You're mentioning Chaill as an Australian there mate.

Alot of Evertons success can be attributed to Alan Irvine if you ask me. He did great things for us at youth level and for the first team and was a big loss when he left. No suprise things turned when he and moyes worked together.

I've said before - I think Sibi is something of a echo of David Kelly - a fella who has come in and not really been expected to do much, but has won fans over with his effort and honesty. I think he's earned a new deal and he'll be good to have around the club, even if it's only from the bench next season.

Mon Sibi !  :coolsmiley:

Mate if you ask an Everton fan, or read any of their message boards a lot of them aren't too taken with Cahill.  He does get goals from midfield, but we might as well pack up if we don't strive to get players who are of Champions League standard.  I think Mikel Arteta is a CL standard player but if we ever wanted him we'd be well back in the queue, and besides he's never said he's unhappy there.  You're mentioning Chaill as an Australian there mate.

You could be right about my innate bias towards Australians, and I have to admit I don't watch many Everton games, but those that I have seen the Toffees have four players worthy of the name, and he's one of them (Johnson, Arteta and Yobo being the others - though I've heard Neville is doing well)

And further to my Aussie bias, there's only three I feel are worthy of the Toon shirt, and again he's one of them (Bresciano and Viduka being the other two)

Doesn't matter - we're not getting any of them anyway!

Guest TampaToon

glad to see him stick around.  hopefully he'll not dress for too many games over those 2 years with martins, owen, and ameobi (at least) ahead of him, but i can see him starting a good few cup games and coming on late in games as a sub and putting in important performances when called upon....always seems to put one in when we need him to.