Top 5 goalkeepers in the Premiership/World

Guest Deep456

Guest evertoniansrmongs

I have my doubts about Given because he has not had a good defense in front of him. If you deal with 2-3 shots a game it requires a different set of skills which Givens really has not been tested

Guest FlapjackJoe

Premiership:

1 Cech

2 Given

3 Reina

4 Van der Sar

5 Friedel

World:

1 Casillas

2 Cech

3 Buffon

4 Given

5 Akinfeev

I love rankings  :celb:

I think Van der Sar has been poor recently.  Brad Friedel is highly underrated...

My Prem Top 5:

1. Brad Friedel

2. Petr Cech

3. Pepe Reina

4. Shay Given

5. Jussi Jaaskelainen

'Kin hell, lads. Cech is a decent goalkeeper but no where near the best in the league. His middle name should be "Uncharacteristic mistake", the amount of times I hear commentators come out with it.

Given is the best in the league by a mile, followed by Friedel, Reina, Schwarzer and Cech. Worldwide Given would certainly be in the top five if not top three.

Such a difficult question to answer, because opinions are so heavily dependent upon what we all see on the TV, which in turn is dependent upon 1) what back 4 is in front of the 'keeper; and 2) what the keeper does that we cannot see on the TV.

One of the limbs of this thread maintains that Given is class because of the performances that he puts in despite what is in front of him. Fact is, having shite in front of a keeper often gives said keeper a platform to show off their shot-stopping skills. Over the last x years, Given has had ample opportunity to show off this part of his game. In this area, he is truly one of the game's best.

Fact is, being a top class keeper involves so much more than this. Earlier in the thread, people have picked out errors that Jens Lehmann has made as meaning he is turd. Fact of the matter is, if Given had the organisational and communication skills of Lehmann, we'd concede far less goals.

Given does all the 'Hollywood' stuff very well - it's the unrecognised, undervalued elements of a 'keeper's game where he's lacking.

His kicking has improved though, from what I've seen this year.

Reading through this thread has started me 'what-if-ing'....what if we had managed to sign Friedel under KK all those years ago, rather than his permit getting revoked? Could have been interesting....

Guest KeithKettleborough

Yes often thought about Friedel escaping us as think he's been good over a long period. Still Given has probably been the best keeper I have seen play for us over many years but saying that, there have been few I can go overboard about in that time.

Always viewed him as a bit of a short ar*e really, although he is 6 foot supposedly. Great shot stopper, has there ever been any better, but many weaknesses and couldn't rate him as best in league, never mind the world.

If Given could improve his command of the area, he'd be pretty much the all-round keeper, as his distribution seems to be improving a bit.

Agree with what Mag-ic says though, we're often going on what we see on TV. Casillas for example makes some stunning saves but perhaps makes it hard for himself through his positioning sometimes.

Guest firetotheworks

Reina? No way for me. Had this argument the other day with a Liverpool fan, he's dodgy as f***, even dropped a few crosses against us. good penalty saver but not the best in the prem by a long way.

Just telling it the way I see it. I rarely see him make costly mistakes, he's fast as fuck off his line and he's an excellent shot stopper. Cracking penalty stopper aswell.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Premiership

1. Cech

2. Van Der Sar

3. Reina

4. Given

5. Friedal

World

1. Buffon

2. Casillas

3. Cech

4. Van der Sar

5. Reina

Guest firetotheworks

1. Cech

2. Van Der Sar

3. Reina

4. Given

5. Friedal

Thing is with Cech though, he's in front of an amazing defence and within the last season and a half he's still made a fair few clangers that have cost Chelsea goals.

Guest sicko2ndbest

1. Cech

2. Van Der Sar

3. Reina

4. Given

5. Friedal

Thing is with Cech though, he's in front of an amazing defence and within the last season and a half he's still made a fair few clangers that have cost Chelsea goals.

Since he came to the premiership i think he has been the best i've seen

Guest firetotheworks

1. Cech

2. Van Der Sar

3. Reina

4. Given

5. Friedal

Did you see Schmeichel?

Guest sicko2ndbest

1. Cech

2. Van Der Sar

3. Reina

4. Given

5. Friedal

Did you see Schmeichel?

Cech has been the best keeper in the premiership during his time in the league!

Guest ObaStar

"He currently holds three records: a Czech professional league record of not conceding a goal in 855 competitive minutes, an English Premiership record of not conceding a goal in 1,025 minutes, and the most clean sheets accomplished in a single Premier League season (25), set during Chelsea’s 2004—05 title-winning campaign. He also has a club record at his former team Sparta Praha, having gone 928 minutes unbeaten in all competitions in 2001—2002, when his unbeaten run in Czech league competition was combined with his performances in the UEFA Champions League." - best keeper in the premier league for sure