Top 5 goalkeepers in the Premiership/World

Guest Deep456

The quality of goalkeepers is $hit compared now is very poor compared to years back, esp English keepers (we used to produce some of the best but sadly not anymore).

What about Marco Amelia? Rogerio Ceni? Julio Cesar of Inter has been outstanding, Gregory Coupet (who someone also mentioned)? Alot of People on here seem only watch to the EPL or go for the usual well known keepers in the world ,like Victor Valdes? The above mentioned keepers are far better. He's a good shot stopper but poor at most of other things (even Barca fans say this)

Agreed, Victor Valdes isn't great, and Barca are meant to have signed Oscar Ustari as his replacement for next season, and Ustari is a top prospect. Valdes, is a good shot stopper, but despite his size, he doesn't have a great command of his box and is very shakey when dealing with crosses.

Guest kingdawson

Found this article: In which the West Brom second choice goalkeeper is 13th, and Mark Schwarzer also makes the list, still no Paul Robinson though! lol

IFFHS' World's Best Goalkeeper of the Year 2006

Award given by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS); the election is for the calendar year.

Top 22

1. Gianluigi BUFFON

2. Jens LEHMANN

3. Petr CECH

4. Iker CASILLAS

5. Edwin VAN DER SAR

6. ROGÉRIO Ceni

7. RICARDO Alexandre Martins Soares

8. Nélson de Jesus e Silva "DIDA"

9. Roberto ABBONDANZIERI

10. Fabien BARTHEZ

11. Oliver KAHN

Víctor VALDÉS

13. Pascal ZUBERBÜHLER

14. Grégory COUPET

Oswaldo SÁNCHEZ

16. Heurelho da Silva GOMES

17. Andrés PALOP

18. Igor AKINFEYEV

José María BULJUBASICH

Mark SCHWARZER

You do realise that shay Given is also not on the list?

Found this article: In which the West Brom second choice goalkeeper is 13th, and Mark Schwarzer also makes the list, still no Paul Robinson though! lol

Award given by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (IFFHS); the election is for the calendar year.

Top 22

1. Gianluigi BUFFON

2. Jens LEHMANN

3. Petr CECH

4. Iker CASILLAS

5. Edwin VAN DER SAR

6. ROGÉRIO Ceni

9. Roberto ABBONDANZIERI

10. Fabien BARTHEZ

11. Oliver KAHN

Víctor VALDÉS

13. Pascal ZUBERBÜHLER

14. Grégory COUPET

Oswaldo SÁNCHEZ

17. Andrés PALOP

18. Igor AKINFEYEV

José María BULJUBASICH

Mark SCHWARZER

As I'm not one of his biggest fans, I wouldn't expect him to be.

The quality of goalkeepers now is $hit compared to years back, esp English keepers (we used to produce some of the best but sadly not anymore).

What about Marco Amelia? Rogerio Ceni? Julio Cesar of Inter has been outstanding, Gregory Coupet (who someone also mentioned)? Alot of People on here seem only watch to the EPL or go for the usual well known keepers in the world ,like Victor Valdes? The above mentioned keepers are far better. He's a good shot stopper but poor at most of other things (even Barca fans say this)

That's exactly why I'm not doing a world top 5 (well, I do watch more than the EPL but not enough to have solid opinions) - but I will do one for the Premier League (same as duwy's, just different order)

1. Cech

2. Van Der Saar

3. Friedel

4, Given

5. Jaaskelainen

Always been a big Friedel fan - and I'm not the only one: ''Brad Friedel must have changed in a telephone box. I wouldn't be surprised if when he takes his shirt off there's a blue jersey with an 'S' underneath.'' (G. Strachan)

this thread is a joke. The best goalkeepers in the world have no noticible weaknesses. Shay does, end of conversation

Certainly, the best 'keepers have very few weaknesses. And Shay does indeed. He's in the top 5 in the Prem, no bother, but nowhere near the top 10 in the world.

Tell me 10 goalkeepers better than Shay Given?

this thread is a joke. The best goalkeepers in the world have no noticible weaknesses. Shay does, end of conversation

Certainly, the best 'keepers have very few weaknesses. And Shay does indeed. He's in the top 5 in the Prem, no bother, but nowhere near the top 10 in the world.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, and a mixture of home and world players, if I could have Given or any of the following players at my club, it wouldn't be Given: Cech, Buffon, Lehmann, Van Der Saar, Casillas, Abbondanzieri, Jaskalainen, Coupet, Foster, Boruc.

Don't get me wrong, Given has his definite strengths, he's a good keeper,  but - as others have mentioned in this thread, like all but the absolute best keepers - he has his weaknesses too. To suggest he's in the top 10 in the world is blinkered thinking.

Off the top of my head, in no particular order, and a mixture of home and world players, if I could have Given or any of the following players at my club, it wouldn't be Given: Cech, Buffon, Lehmann, Van Der Saar, Casillas, Abbondanzieri, Jaskalainen, Coupet, Foster, Boruc.

Don't get me wrong, Given has his definite strengths, he's a good keeper,  but - as others have mentioned in this thread, like all but the absolute best keepers - he has his weaknesses too. To suggest he's in the top 10 in the world is blinkered thinking.

IMO Given is better then the last 5 including Lehmann

Robbo's had 1 poor season. Last season and the season before that he was immense for us. How many Poor season has David james had? yet people are still creaming themselves over him.

A poor SEASON?

It's a "once in a blue moon" occasion for Shay Given to have a poor game ffs.

Didn't he also concede about 90 the season Leeds went down? I know Leeds were cack, but the only keepers I remember conceding that many in a season were the legendary Craig Forrest, Fraser Digby & Kevin Pressman!

EDIT - It was 77. 14 more than what Ian Walker conceded at Leicester who were far worse than Leeds.

Guest mishka17

Top 22

1. Gianluigi BUFFON

2. Jens LEHMANN

3. Petr CECH

4. Iker CASILLAS

5. Edwin VAN DER SAR

6. ROGÉRIO Ceni

9. Roberto ABBONDANZIERI

10. Fabien BARTHEZ

11. Oliver KAHN

Víctor VALDÉS

13. Pascal ZUBERBÜHLER

14. Grégory COUPET

Oswaldo SÁNCHEZ

17. Andrés PALOP

18. Igor AKINFEYEV

José María BULJUBASICH

Mark SCHWARZER

As I'm not one of his biggest fans, I wouldn't expect him to be.

You rate shwarzer, barthez over Given? Even if you aren't a big fan of Shay, it's stupidity-it's not about being a fan of somebody or not, it's just ridiculous. I respect your opinion, but for me it's an absurd. that's all

Guest alankhaw

I think Wenger has been proved correct tbh, as Wullie said true quality keepers have poor GAMES but a poor SEASON! Jesus wept!! :lol: How long does it take for them to become a liability! I know for a fact if Shay had thrown away as many points as Robinson this season he would have been dropped!

Yeah you know this for a fact because your part of the newcastle coaching staff. I doubt very much what your saying because Harper looks like a mistake waiting to happen. Wait a minute,wasnt he the guy that gifted Defoe a goal at the lane a couple of season ago?

Not quite sure why you're talking about a few seasons ago to be honest. Why not talk about this season?

Guest kingdawson

Lehmann makes far too many errors imo. Decent keeper, but overrated because he plays for Arsenal. Same for VDS actually, no-one would have said he was one of the best when he was at Fulham.

Not true. Vds was rated throughout hes career and experienced he's best form at Fulham. Agree with Lemon though.

Lehmann makes far too many errors imo. Decent keeper, but overrated because he plays for Arsenal. Same for VDS actually, no-one would have said he was one of the best when he was at Fulham.

Not true. Vds was rated throughout hes career and experienced he's best form at Fulham. Agree with Lemon though.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with a Spud, but truly VDS is and was quality - before, during and after his Fulham spell...

in the worl

1.rogerio ceni

2.buffon

3.cech

4.lehman

5.abondanzieri

Ceni is a pretty good keeper but nowhere near one of the best in the world. He's not even close to being the best Brazilian- Dida, Gomes and possibly Julio Caesar are better than him. I assume you've seen him score a few free kicks and now think he's fantastic.

Abbondanzieri isn't anything special either. That's why he plays for a small team like Getafe and it took him until his 30's to make it over to Europe.

Didnt Schmichael say that he thought Given was one of the top 3 keepers in the world when he was a pundit on MOTD recently. I dont think anyone can argue with that as he is one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

my top 5 in prem are

given

cech

Jaskelinaan

Van der Sarr

probably Lehmann or Friedel

Everyone goes through a stage when they are great, everyone was saying Dudek was the best in the premiership the other year and he turned out crap and now Robinson is being found out. Given has been consistantly class for nearly 10 years so he has more than proved himself.

Didnt Schmichael say that he thought Given was one of the top 3 keepers in the world when he was a pundit on MOTD recently. I dont think anyone can argue with that as he is one of the greatest goalkeepers of all time.

my top 5 in prem are

given

cech

Jaskelinaan

Van der Sarr

probably Lehmann or Friedel

Everyone goes through a stage when they are great, everyone was saying Dudek was the best in the premiership the other year and he turned out crap and now Robinson is being found out. Given has been consistantly class for nearly 10 years so he has more than proved himself.

That sums it up for me, these "great" keepers come and go as far as form is concerned but Given is there every year winning us points after points with outstanding performances and saving our arses!