St James' Park

Delima

On 12/11/2022 at 09:59, Big River said:

buy Gateshead stadium, do it up real nice. share it with them and play there for a year or two while SJP is getting revamped. then leave it for Gateshead and our lasses/development teams to share. easy peasy!

still yet to hear a better solution than this :lol:

I'll take it a step further... buy the club and the stadium. we'll have a proper feeder team, it solves their ownership/stadium issues, and we can have a wicked little temporary stadium after demolishing the daft running track nobody cares about*

everyone-wins-matty-matheson.gif

*PIF can build a super athletic stadium somewhere else local if anyones that arsed

10 minutes ago, Big River said:

I'll take it a step further... buy the club and the stadium. we'll have a proper feeder team, it solves their ownership/stadium issues, and we can have a wicked little temporary stadium after demolishing the daft running track nobody cares about*

*PIF can build a super athletic stadium somewhere else local if anyones that arsed

How big will this wicked little stadium be ?

7 minutes ago, Big River said:

You may think it's daft but it's cool to have somewhere with the history it has... shame it's been left to rot somewhat but there are good indoor facilities next door as well, would you bulldoze that?

I love football, made a living playing it a lifetime ago but the attitude that every other sport doesn't matter really pisses me off to be honest.

3 hours ago, 54 said:

Dumb question, but should we build a new stadium, what would people want it to be named?

It'd likely be "Newcastle United Stadium" like the "Tottenham Hotspur Stadium" but thats really boring :lol: 

I'd said it before, and I'll say it again....

The Sven Adult Books Magpie Megadome

It has a certain je ne sais quoi that no other name could possibly achieve

10 minutes ago, Stifler said:

For comparison, this cost about £1bn.

take a few steps back here —

In 2010 they expected it would be about 700m USD, rose to 1b USD, and finally completed at around 1.6b USD. They broke ground in May 2014 and opened in 2017. That stadium cost would be 2-3x that now a days. 

The new NFL stadium in Nashville should cost over 2.1b USD. 60,000 seats. 

Context here is you need to exclude land cost in a lot of these numbers you see and just look at hard costs.

Edited by Kanji

4 minutes ago, Monters said:

You may think it's daft but it's cool to have somewhere with the history it has... shame it's been left to rot somewhat but there are good indoor facilities next door as well, would you bulldoze that?

I love football, made a living playing it a lifetime ago but the attitude that every other sport doesn't matter really pisses me off to be honest.

Last time anything interesting happened there was Guns n Roses in 1992

Get Thompsons of Prudhoe down toot suite and bulldoze it

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

Last time anything interesting happened there was Guns n Roses in 1992

Get Thompsons of Prudhoe down toot suite and bulldoze it

Awesome

11 minutes ago, madras said:

How big will this wicked little stadium be ?

dunno... Stadium 974 had a 44k capacity and that was built out of shipping containers. if they tried hard enough, PIF could get it up to 50k, even if it's "temporary", then reduce it down to something a bit more sensible/feasible once our first team is done with it.

9 minutes ago, Monters said:

I'd bulldoze it myself and make you watch

If they want a truly world class stadium that will stand the test of time on the current site, that's not going to be whacking another tier on the East/Gallowgate Stand. You're going to have to gut it, quite possibly demolish entire stands. 

Not only does that create a logistical nightmare (how to you house the current ST holders?) but it's also a financial issue. Let's say we lose 10k seats at a time, even at the cheap end that's £500k per home game we're down. That's £10m over 19 home games, not including cup/European games. Our PSR position is going to be precarious as it is without being an extra 8-figure sum down every year.

29 minutes ago, Big River said:

That would be a nightmare logistically. Shocking transport links, few parking spaces, no amenities nearby other than the Fog on the Tyne and McDonald's. Gateshead struggle with 1.5k, you'd have to do a lot more than simply spruce up the GIS.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

Just now, Big River said:

dunno... Stadium 974 had a 44k capacity and that was built out of shipping containers. if they tried hard enough, PIF could get it up to 50k, even if it's "temporary", then reduce it down to something a bit more sensible/feasible once our first team is done with it.

I'd bulldoze it myself and make you watch

Phenomenal

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

take a few steps back here —

In 2010 they expected it would be about 700m USD, rose to 1b USD, and finally completed at around 1.6b USD. They broke ground in May 2014 and opened in 2017. That stadium cost would be 2-3x that now a days. 

The new NFL stadium in Nashville should cost over 2.1b USD. 60,000 seats. 

Context here is you need to exclude land cost in a lot of these numbers you see and just look at hard costs.

Yeah, inflation is to consider. However this is a state of the art stadium, and opened fairly recently. Considering all this, you would expect that it would mean that £1bn to SJP will be a bit more than a level 7 on the Gallowgate.

Also I would like the club to release the stadium plan if it’s actually close before Darren steps away, it should be his legacy that he’s undertaken this massive new development (either new or expansion and renovation). 

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

That would be a nightmare logistically. Shocking transport links, few parking spaces, no amenities nearby other than the Fog on the Tyne and McDonald's. Gateshead struggle with 1.5k, you'd have to do a lot more than simply spruce up the GIS.

what about strategically placed pneumatic tubes around town that shoot people directly to the stadium? imagine just finishing your pint in the Crows and zzzdumph you're in Gateshead

we're working with unlimited resources here (apparently, tight bastards need to pull their finger out), we can think big

1 minute ago, Big River said:

what about strategically placed pneumatic tubes around town that shoot people directly to the stadium? imagine just finishing your pint in the Crows and zzzdumph you're in Gateshead

we're working with unlimited resources here (apparently, tight bastards need to pull their finger out), we can think big

this actually happened to me once, think my pint got spiked with a megadose of spice then I got on the wrong Metro at Haymarket

Edited by bobbydazzla

I keep seeing reference to raising and moving the pitch from it's current position, to then realise expanded stands on all sides. Sounds expensive, but awesome if they could do it. Of course, the other question is, where would we play while the work is being done? I'm presuming a stadium share with the mackems.

4 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I keep seeing reference to raising and moving the pitch from it's current position, to then realise expanded stands on all sides. Sounds expensive, but awesome if they could do it. Of course, the other question is, where would we play while the work is being done? I'm presuming a stadium share with the mackems.

Keep up at the back.....it's already been decided that we're bulldozing Gateshead Stadium and building a 52,000 temporary football stadium on the vacant plot

Guns n Roses have been booked to play the opening ceremony

Edited by bobbydazzla

34 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Also I would like the club to release the stadium plan if it’s actually close before Darren steps away, it should be his legacy that he’s undertaken this massive new development (either new or expansion and renovation). 

Bring him back to officially open it :thup:

21 minutes ago, Armchair Pundit said:

I suppose you could do it a step at a time, it would be a nightmare, but its possible. You could even do it without moving if you had somewhere to lob the cunts out the east stand. 

I just think the loss of seats in the milburn and leazes would not be worth it just to gain more on the east stand. 

They could maximise the space between the east stand and milburn by squeezing the new east stand footprint closer to the milburn, obviously this means you can't get international matches but that doesn't seem to bother Liverpool. It's not much space but it would add some gain without going all Rambo on the rest of the ground 

2 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

He’s come to that conclusion from an account with 464 followers, I’d say 1 billion for 10k seats makes a move far more likely.

Probably why the club is so slow to release information as well. It's not going to be a universally popular decision to move to a new site, so from their POV might as well let it percolate while people come to terms with the constraints of a rebuild and the impact it would have on our declared aim of being number One.

23 minutes ago, TRon said:

Probably why the club is so slow to release information as well. It's not going to be a universally popular decision to move to a new site, so from their POV might as well let it percolate while people come to terms with the constraints of a rebuild and the impact it would have on our declared aim of being number One.

Just do an Ashley, announce it as soon as an international break comes around.

International break after this weekend.