St James' Park

Delima

Are there any rules about having a closed roof at football stadiums? I'm only asking as I can't think of any football stadiums that do. 

Think it would class if possible, would be great for creating and keeping an atmosphere.  

2 hours ago, DiddyLevine said:

4 gigantic statues one in each corner on the outside of the ground : Keegan Robson Supermac Shearer 

All modern-day people.

I'm sure we will have had many equivalents (or better) over all the years before these four.

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

Are there any rules about having a closed roof at football stadiums? I'm only asking as I can't think of any football stadiums that do. 

Think it would class if possible, would be great for creating and keeping an atmosphere.  

UEFAs rule is that if it's open or closed at KO it has to stay that way unless there's a weather/safety issue. I can't find anything about what the rules are for PL games though.

A retractable roof would be class like.

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Someone get the copy up here like a saint please

Newcastle United are looking at a complete rebuild of St James’ Park, rather than just an expansion, as part of a major redevelopment of the surrounding area that would bring far more than just a new football stadium.

Although there has long been talk of a desire to expand St James’, the proposal being considered is far more ambitious and would involve the construction of a purpose-built, state-of-the-art stadium on the existing location.

Telegraph Sport can reveal for the first time that should Newcastle decide to stay at St James’ Park, rather than move to a new site which remains under consideration, the project is a far grander one than initially thought.

Rather than add extra seats, the idea would be to completely reconstruct their home, not merely rebuild, expand and modernise the Gallowgate End and East Stand. That is why the estimated cost for the scheme could be as high as £1 billion. A capacity of around 65,000 to 70,000 is thought to be possible.

Sources have said that whatever the final decision, which is expected to be made public early next year, the new stadium will be a state-of-the-art, multi-purpose venue and will include additional redevelopment of the city-centre area.

A source explained: “It will be part of a massive redevelopment, it won’t just be a new stadium.”

It is thought that should Newcastle elect to stay at St James’ Park, which will need the council to grant an extension of the leasehold, which only has 70 years left to run, the stadium could possibly be moved away from the Grade A-listed buildings behind the East Stand to create more room.

That would require the knocking down of a multi-story car park in the corner behind the Milburn Stand and Leazes End. It would also require the realignment and reconstruction of Barrack Road, a busy thoroughfare through the heart of the city, leading to the centre.

But these are some of the ideas being floated which would enable St James’ Park to be completely reimagined and would be a similar type of project to the one Tottenham Hotspur embarked on when building their new stadium.

However, Telegraph Sport can also reveal that although there have been plenty of internal discussions about a new stadium and the options available should they move, the council, who would have to grant planning permission, have not been involved. That underlines the fact that the construction phase of the project is still a long way off.

It would also appear to be particularly significant given fresh impetus has been given to the idea this week, initially revealed by Telegraph Sport earlier this year, that Newcastle are also contemplating building a purpose-built new stadium, behind the current location, on the site of the Victorian-era Leazes Park.

Leazes Park is part of a protected conservation area and it would be a controversial proposal to build on a historically significant green space, in the heart of the city, and would need the approval of the council to grant planning permission.

The fact there have been no discussions, yet, with the council in relation to this option would appear odd given they would need to know if the city were willing to at least consider allowing them to build there.

Newcastle, though, have stressed that whatever decision they make, they intend to stay in the city centre rather than move out of town to find more space for the redevelopment.

As one source said: “We are going to stay in the city, we know how much the location means to Newcastle United and its supporters.”

But a spokesperson for Newcastle Council said: “There has been much speculation in the media about the future of St James’ Park.

“While there have been no formal talks between the club and the council, our door remains open as it would with any developer. When the club wants to sit down with us, we will listen and advise.”

Given the protected nature of Leazes Park and the surrounding area, there is bound to be opposition to any proposal to build on it, although Newcastle United could offer to build a new park area as part of a far larger redevelopment of this part of the city centre.

There is some space to expand behind the Leazes End, but getting permission to build here could be necessary, even if they stay at their current St James’ Park site.

Until the council are consulted, it is not known what sort of planning permission they would be willing to grant and means the process could be further delayed when those talks take place.

Newcastle United have stressed that a final decision has still not been made, with all options remaining on the table.

The one that offers the best economic return, in terms of match-day revenues, but also as a multi-purpose venue able to host other large events, will appeal the most to the majority shareholders, Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund.

The club have also pledged that supporters will be consulted before a final proposal is made to the city council.

The next stage of the “once-in-a-generation” project is set to be announced early next year, but that could just be a public consultation with the two potential proposals shared with the council as well as supporters.

13 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

Interesting that Barrack Road could be realigned. 

I do think whatever the outcome, SJP will be nothing like it is today following completion. 

We had an amazing opportunity under Ashley to buy all that empty land at the time. Could have reworked barrack road behind it and built sideways to sjp. Unfortunately we had Ashley so it's now uni buildings and shit and sjp is completely trapped between a road and listed buildings 

Sounds ambitious and class as expected, albeit no new information really. My question would just be where else can we play while SJP is closed? Sunderland seems the only viable option. 

Staying in the city is absolutely key so good to read that from our friendly anonymous source. 

Could be absolutely epic if they can somehow pull off a full rebuild on the same site. Genuinely would be the best stadium in the country if not in Europe. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

We had an amazing opportunity under Ashley to buy all that empty land at the time. Could have reworked barrack road behind it and built sideways to sjp. Unfortunately we had Ashley so it's now uni buildings and shit and sjp is completely trapped between a road and listed buildings 

The brewary site would’ve been great for a new stadium (my stance is that I don’t want one fwiw), if the topography of the place isn’t too vast.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Sounds ambitious and class as expected, albeit no new information really. My question would just be where else can we play while SJP is closed? Sunderland seems the only viable option. 

Staying in the city is absolutely key so could to read that from our friendly anonymous source. 

Could be absolutely epic if they can somehow pull off a full rebuild on the same site. Genuinely would be the best stadium in the country if not in Europe. 

Not a chance we play in Sunderland imo. Could see there being temp stands put in at Gateshead or something done to allow fans whilst all the works happen at SJP. 

Don’t want us to either btw (play on Wearside) 

Edited by Danh1

Just now, Danh1 said:

The brewary site would’ve been great for a new stadium (my stance is that I don’t want one fwiw), if the topography of the place isn’t too vast.

We could even have dropped sjp to 20k and kept it for lasses, kids and concerts. Another benefit of a wallpaper billionaire 

Just now, Danh1 said:

Not a chance we play in Sunderland imo. Could see there being temp stands put in at Gateshead or something done to allow fans whilst all the works happen at SJP. 

Don’t want us to either. 

I just can’t see any other option. Gateshead would be laughable, it’s a dump. Unless we totally rebuild that first. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, timeEd32 said:

Cue 17 pages on why this can’t happen as we’d have nowhere to play.

It’s the only question that stops me going all in on a new ground in the same location. Like I said, the fans will hate it but Sunderland seems the way to go. 

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s the only question that stops me going all in on a new ground in the same location. Like I said, the fans will hate it but Sunderland seems the way to go. 

Can you honestly see Sunderland allowing it? I can’t. Northumbria Police as well.