St James' Park

Delima

2 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Just get rid of the metro. Like the whole fuckin network. 

Part of me would be happy just cos they hoyed the mackem track direct to the airport 

I’ve no issue with it tbf :) - SJP metro only really exists for the change of lines as far as I can see. 

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I might be being stupid here, but there doesn’t seem to be much point in the Metro going to St James anyway. 

It's used much more now that it used to be but it's still very much just a commuter station, mainly for the Helix.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Isn’t it where the changeover of track occurs?  So you’d need to pull that back to Monument.  Which also could be tricky. 

Would you need a  changeover track ? Eastbound trains could arrive at Monument and the driver simply changes ends on arrival and their is a changeover point between Monument and Manors if needed.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’ve no issue with it tbf :) - SJP metro only really exists for the change of lines as far as I can see. 

I was told it was there for possible future extension to the west end. Could never see it myself like.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

I was told it was there for possible future extension to the west end. Could never see it myself like.

Yep, me neither.  I would have loved it to follow the old Scotswood, Newburn and Wylam Railway, being from the west end myself.  Never going to happen, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotswood,_Newburn_and_Wylam_Railway

Edited by TheBrownBottle

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, me neither.  I would have loved it to follow the old Scotswood, Newburn and Wylam Railway, being from the west end myself.  Never going to happen, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotswood,_Newburn_and_Wylam_Railway

I walk it regularly, Lemington/Newburn to Wylam. Always seemed strange that the plans westward would be from St James'.

Edited by madras

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

West Denton still an option then?  Better than HS2 I reckon.  Not sure where the Elswick - General Hospital - East / West Denton route would fit mind - they couldn’t be serious about making it all underground (could they?)

Not a chance imo. I always though the Leamside to Washington would come first.

3 minutes ago, manorpark said:

These are the only images I have retained of the "Number 1 St James" plans from 2007 . . . 

Number 1 St James' Plans - 2007.png

You always seem to be in the know with this sort of stuff. Was westwards from St James' ever really a serious consideration ?

10 minutes ago, madras said:

You always seem to be in the know with this sort of stuff. Was westwards from St James' ever really a serious consideration ?

It was only one of a number of 'aspirations' by the club at that time. I am still searching through my papers from those years, but I cannot remember any serious proposals being developed, and no City Council planning applications about it were ever made.

50 minutes ago, madras said:

What I perceived to be the crack. 

Obvs never going to happen. Close it down, fill it full of concrete. 

Build, build, build. 

37 minutes ago, madras said:

I thought you were talking about St James' Park!

Were you talking about the Metro?

West Newcastle was always the extension Tyne & Wear PTE wanted the most, but from day one it was dismissed as it was too expensive - sadly !!

Metro Extensions - Fantasy.png

Edited by manorpark

8 minutes ago, manorpark said:

West Newcastle was always the extension Tyne & Wear PTE wanted the most, but from day one it was dismissed as it was too expensive - sadly !!

Yeah I was on about the metro. You'd have thought west from Central would have been the way to go given the space from the old line was already there.

Those grade 2 listed buildings on boot boy alley still look like the major obstacle to me, alongside the cost of redesigning the Gallowgate.

Hope it happens for those who desperately want to stay at SJP, still think East Stand is key though and reason that’s being looked at first.

You can’t have a world class stadium with the East Stand in its current guise, think ultimately if they can’t do anything with that it’s back to the drawing board and re-location will be on the table.

Is it possible to demolish the East Stand. Somehow reconfigure the seating capacity plan there and put a see through glass corporate box on top of  the stand? The box would have a view of the pitch on one side and the view of the city on the other side. Something really modern looking. Move all current corporate boxes to that side and replacing it with seats in the current stands.

I was watching the F1 and was thinking about the VIP area above the paddock or pit stop and was thinking something similar above the East Stand.

Edited by nufcjb

4 hours ago, manorpark said:

Hundreds of billions for that like. Would be great though.

Great news for NUFC and the local economy! We'll be 65K by then too!

Euro 2028

What stadiums will be used?

Ten stadiums have been slated to host matches. They are (listed in order of capacity):

London — Wembley Stadium (90,652)

Cardiff — Principality Stadium (73,952)

London — Tottenham Hotspur Stadium (62,322)

Manchester — Etihad Stadium (61,000)

Liverpool — Everton Stadium (52,679)

Newcastle — St James’ Park (52,305)

Birmingham — Villa Park (52,190)

Glasgow — Hampden Park (52,032)

Dublin — Aviva Stadium (51,711)

Belfast — Casement Park (34,500)