St James' Park

Delima

3 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Also, the club made an error with level 7, for a standard seat filled with kids that pay half the price....you get the best leg room in the ground! If level 7 had been high capacity like the east stand you'd be talking a few thousand more all the way around. I know we like our comforts but its not really business sense 

It's legal requirement for that space at that level at the time.

Edited by El Prontonise

So at half time the clocks in the corners hit 45, reset to 00:00 and started counting up again. This meant you could see how close we were to the 3 minutes of first-half stoppage time. But then at 90:00 the clocks just stopped, so we couldn't see how far into the 10 minutes of stoppage time we were.  

Just now, BlueStar said:

So at half time the clocks in the corners hit 45, reset to 00:00 and started counting up again. This meant you could see how close we were to the 3 minutes of first-half stoppage time. But then at 90:00 the clocks just stopped, so we couldn't see how far into the 10 minutes of stoppage time we were.  

The clock on the screen keeps going beyond the 90. No help to the players like. I've always said there should be a playing time clock in the stadium.  

1 minute ago, madras said:

The clock on the screen keeps going beyond the 90. No help to the players like. I've always said there should be a playing time clock in the stadium.  

No help to me either, cos from the East Stand we can't see it. 

1 minute ago, BlueStar said:

No help to me either, cos from the East Stand we can't see it. 

You all just need to get your monocles out and consult your pocketwatches instead then

1 hour ago, madras said:

1/2 of the ground can’t see that screen, it’s pathetic 

But not quite as pathetic as the 28” screen special offer tellys in the concourses though

Agreeing a job lot deal with the manager of Currys Silverlink shop was certainly one of the most complex commercial deals Charnley was ever allowed to do  

Edited by bobbydazzla

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Ben said:

Remember when we had coppers separating The Corner from The Scoreboard 

Screenshot_20240228_063444_Facebook.jpg

Small sample I know, but very few 'oldies' in that picture.

Wonder if we do have a pretty old fan base now and youngins are priced out/got better things to do?

13 hours ago, Ben said:

I can see myself on that picture.

That's me, in the Scoreboard next to my mate Dave.

1 hour ago, Jonas said:

Anybody know what game that is?

By crowd density and the time of year it seems to be I'd guess Blackburn 91/92.

100% 91/92 season. Looks a decent crowd as well, probably around 22/23k so it would either have been Blackburn, Tranmere, Swindon or Millwall I reckon. They were all 0-0 after 17 mins.

49 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

100% 91/92 season. Looks a decent crowd as well, probably around 22/23k so it would either have been Blackburn, Tranmere, Swindon or Millwall I reckon. They were all 0-0 after 17 mins.

0-0 after 17 mins was a treat that season pre-KK …

11 hours ago, NE27 said:

Wonder if we do have a pretty old fan base now and youngins are priced out/got better things to do?

Average ST age in PL is mid-40s.  You need to have a good income to go.  The older lads would have been in the East / West stands upper tier - they will have been sitting to watch the game. 

Ageing crowds and all-ticket matches has killed atmospheres more than anything else - all-seater stadiums are an offshoot of higher ticket prices (Lord Taylor advised going all-seater, but said clubs should hike prices as a result.  We got the former but not the latter). 

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Average ST age in PL is mid-40s.  You need to have a good income to go.  The older lads would have been in the East / West stands upper tier - they will have been sitting to watch the game. 

Ageing crowds and all-ticket matches has killed atmospheres more than anything else - all-seater stadiums are an offshoot of higher ticket prices (Lord Taylor advised going all-seater, but said clubs should hike prices as a result.  We got the former but not the latter). 

Read something a few weeks back saying the average age of a Chelsea season ticket holder is now 58!

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

Read something a few weeks back saying the average age of a Chelsea season ticket holder is now 58!

Christ :) - mind I’m not surprised.  Probably need an income above £70k or something daft to afford it as well

That age for an average season ticket holder is very common - even for a club with a strong 'youth' brand like CPFC they've got the challenge of an ageing ST base.

You'll see more digital 'Fandom' products coming to PL clubs over the next year or two, awarding points for all kinds of behaviours.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

On 28/02/2024 at 11:39, NE27 said:

Also no replica shirts, I never had one but I did have a Super Kev scarf and a couple of badges off that bloke outside Rosies.

16 minutes ago, Ben said:

Also no replica shirts, I never had one but I did have a Super Kev scarf and a couple of badges off that bloke outside Rosies.

Very few people wore replica shirts back then but that was soon about to change. This is 100% certainly the 91/92 season and the first match at Newcastle where I remember fans wearing replica shirts en masse was at the final game of the following season v Leicester when we won the league and released the new Asics kit the day before the match and 1000s queued up to buy it.

On 28/02/2024 at 06:36, Ben said:

Remember when footballers drove vauxhalls 

Swindon was a hell of a shout. Similar conditions. Think I can see those three lasses on the crash-barrier when Scott Sellars (of all people) shoots over on their season video and on our version when were taking a corner the lad with the fluroscent yellow on his coat sleeves.

Think I started wearing the replica tops the following season for whatever reason, possibly superstition after that 11/13 win start, remember changing into matchday wear when we were losing at Millwall and went on to win and when I can see myself in the crowd 91/92 and earlier despite having the shirts I'm not wearing them. Definitely became widespread with the asics kit (and warmer weather).