St James' Park

Delima

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If SJP wasn’t there, there’s no way anyone would consider it to be central in any sense.  No fucker goes anywhere near there on a non-match day 

That's true, but it's fair to say that SJP is closer to the majority of food/drink/shops than the Arena site is. Although as I said above, it's really only 5-10 mins either way.

Need to do a fabled swapsies deal. St. James’ Park and the associated land for the arena site, with a few signed autographs from the lads and a nude calendar from Schar

Just now, Keegans Export said:

That's true, but it's fair to say that SJP is closer to the majority of food/drink/shops than the Arena site is. Although as I said above, it's really only 5-10 mins either way.

It depends tbf - it definitely is if you’re drinking in the Haymarket or the top of the Bigg Market.  It’s not from Central station way or the quayside 

29 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

It's a short walk down from the "city centre"

The Arena been an established entertainment venue for 30 years with billions of millions of people going to events there

From what I understand it's not even a viable site for NUFC, as there are other plans for the site. But for people to say it's unsuitable as a location for a football stadium due to the logistics of the location is nuts 

I've been to gigs at the City Hall and Arena and not thought, "fuck sake, bit of a pain getting to the Arena..This is a shittier experience". Been able to eat and drink before hand in the same places. A slightly further walk away. No issues. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I thought when we debating locations we were debating city versus Silverlink or airport or something, not two different locations that are almost the same :lol:

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Am I the only one who thinks this debate about the city centre is laughable? Newcastle is one of the most compact major cities in the UK, we're talking about a 10 minutes walk further away and even that depends on where you're coming from. You'd think we were talking about moving from one end of Tokyo to the other. 

I still think Castle Leazes is probably the more likely site if we were to build a new ground, which be a right pisser as it is an extra five mins walk minimum.  Ten mins if you normally are in the Gallowgate. 

Just now, macphisto said:

Am I the only one who thinks this debate about the city centre is laughable? Newcastle is one of the most compact major cities in the UK, we're talking about a 10 minutes walk further away and even that depends on where you're coming from. You'd think we were talking about moving from one end of Tokyo to the other. 

Yep.  Newcastle has never felt like a city - the centre feels like a large town.  You can walk from one end to the other and back on a single lunch break.  

The Arena site is really not happening, too small unless the three parts of land are all bought which sounds like there hasn't been anything from our owners anyway in trying to purchase.

4 minutes ago, Aiston said:

The Arena site is really not happening, too small unless the three parts of land are all bought which sounds like there hasn't been anything from our owners anyway in trying to purchase.

Like St James metro, there was no purchase or plans....... until there was.

2 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Whatever is happening we can all be together knowing that TynesideLife knows fuck all.

Watching the man try to say ‘Leazes’ is like watching a cyborg trying to mimic a Geordie accent in order to become a better YouTube content creator, but just failing to do so.  

42 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If SJP wasn’t there, there’s no way anyone would consider it to be central in any sense.  No fucker goes anywhere near there on a non-match day 

As someone who worked at the Business School for 5 years, this is just absolute nonsense :lol: and while it might not be Northumberland Street busy, it's still the Shibuya crossing compared to the arena site.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Where did the arena link even come from? When the land was up for sale the club chose not to buy it. The Ruebens decided not to buy it (despite owning a decent chunk of the city centre). 

People genuinely hoping we’re going to move there need to calm a little. It’s the hope that kills you.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

As someone who worked in the Business School for 5 years, this is just absolute nonsense :lol: and while it might not be Northumberland Street busy, it's still the Shibuya crossing compared to the arena site.

You could say that about Newcastle College tbf - it wouldn’t make it any more true.

Newgate & Percy Streets are the effective end of the part of the city centre where shoppers and people out for the day go.

Of course the arena site is dead too - there’s nowt there at the moment.  That’s sort of the point.  But it’s hardly a difficult trek to get there from the city centre.

44 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

:) 

There is a weird notion tbf that Grey’s Monument is the centre of the city.  It really isn’t in any real sense - certainly not for bars and restaurants.

Newcastle isn’t a city in any real sense in any case.  It has the feel of a town due to its relatively small centre.  The arena site really isn’t less accessible in any sense.  There are far more (good) bars near central station & on the quayside which are much easier to get to the arena than SJP.

Honestly, it doesn’t arse me either way, but the idea that the arena is a terrible trek is absolutely crackers.

All this boils down to whether or not the ownership is serious in their stated ambitions or not.  If we stay at SJP, we stay roughly where we are right now in all respects - we won’t catch the current elite in a lifetime, never mind five or ten years. 

The centre is where is where the people and businesses are, that's how Newcastle's city centre moved up from the Quayside, to Grey Street, to Northumberland Street.

The area site isn't accessible from the city centre like SJP is at all like, there's a 40m difference in elevation and no continuity from the centre to that site like there is with SJP. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The centre is where is where the people and businesses are, that's how Newcastle's city centre moved up from the Quayside, to Grey Street, to Northumberland Street.

The area site isn't accessible from the city centre like SJP is at all like, there's a 40m difference in elevation and no continuity from the centre to that site like there is with SJP. 

Agreed re the centre - but that’s not what matters on a match day.  What matters is where the bars & restaurants are.  And SJP is no better placed than the arena in that regard (with apologies to those who spend pre-match in Fenwicks ;) )

I agree, there’s a gap from Time Square to the arena.  It’s ripe for redevelopment in fairness

I don’t think the elevation counts for much tbf.  It’s not on a steep gradient - not sure who would be affected by it.

We’re unlikely to move there, so it is moot :)

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You could say that about Newcastle College tbf - it wouldn’t make it any more true.

Newgate & Percy Streets are the effective end of the part of the city centre where shoppers and people out for the day go.

Of course the arena site is dead too - there’s nowt there at the moment.  That’s sort of the point.  But it’s hardly a difficult trek to get there from the city centre.

You couldn't say that about Newcastle College, that's a disconnected hub, SJP is directly connected to the city centre and not just Percy Street, but Stowell Street, Barrack Road, Queen Victoria Road, which are all busy.

Ask someone with accessibility needs whether the arena site is difficult to get to without transport and whether it is vs SJP. Guarantee you'll see it differently.

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

That's if the choice is SJP or Arena site. If we need a relocation, Leazes Park looks like a no go so it could be Castle Leazes, out if the two I'd prefer the Arena site.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

You couldn't say that about Newcastle College, that's a disconnected hub, SJP is directly connected to the city centre and not just Percy Street, but Stowell Street, Barrack Road, Queen Victoria Road, which are all busy.

Ask someone with accessibility needs whether the arena site is difficult to get to without transport and whether it is vs SJP. Guarantee you'll see it differently.

I spent several years accompanying my uncle with severe MD to SJP on a match day - believe me, getting to the Leazes end was no picnic for him.  He struggled with that.  Walking from central station to the arena (as we did for boxing one night) was a shitload easier. 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I spent several years accompanying my uncle with severe MD to SJP on a match day - believe me, getting to the Leazes end was no picnic for him.  He struggled with that.  Walking from central station to the arena (as we did for boxing one night) was a shitload easier. 

Should've got off at St. James' metro station, its closer than central IMO.

Just now, Tross said:

Should've got off at St. James' metro station, its closer than central IMO.

True, but we normally walked in from Haymarket for match days (once he had moved to Cramlington) - we only travelled from Central to get to the Arena.

When we used to travel in from the west end, we’d sometimes head to the Black Bull first 

Was gonna say, I dont think tyneside Life is usually the man for details and facts etc, but in this case having watched his video the evidence seems pretty strong. 

Utilitia Arena defo not going to be knocked down for 4-5 years

Heliport owner has no plans to sell

Homes England just bought the brownfield land and already got surveyors / land prep etc.

Arena Stadium is not happening like.

Edited by RobS