St James' Park

Delima

7 minutes ago, Decky said:

I remember that. And if he done a quick Google search he'd know himself.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/united-plan-a-60000-ground-1490092

I'm not sure how anyone who was a fan back then can forget this because for so many years under Ashley it was thought to be the last chance to ever expand SJP.

Eddie claims to have autism but theres  no way to check if thats true

Edited by Orphanage
sp

8 minutes ago, Decky said:

I remember that. And if he done a quick Google search he'd know himself.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/united-plan-a-60000-ground-1490092

I'm not sure how anyone who was a fan back then can forget this because for so many years under Ashley it was thought to be the last chance to ever expand SJP.

Aye, when you think it's quite important when your talking about expanding now, because obviously it revisits a lot of problems they would have faced and considered at the time. Would seem like important info if your going to publish a dozen videos about the same subject. 

But it's the way he came back with the 'expert' shite that made my mind up on him. 

Also, there's no content on anything nostalgic, I don't think I've ever heard him mention Peter Beardsley, Jackie milburn or way back to Colin veitch.

He did a brief one about Stanley (east end) and their origins of byker, but it was just pulled straight from Paul joannou and no research of his own. 

15 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Aye, when you think it's quite important when your talking about expanding now, because obviously it revisits a lot of problems they would have faced and considered at the time. Would seem like important info if your going to publish a dozen videos about the same subject. 

But it's the way he came back with the 'expert' shite that made my mind up on him. 

Also, there's no content on anything nostalgic, I don't think I've ever heard him mention Peter Beardsley, Jackie milburn or way back to Colin veitch.

He did a brief one about Stanley (east end) and their origins of byker, but it was just pulled straight from Paul joannou and no research of his own. 

Its his promotion of himself as an expert that rankles . anyone can do a vid via some wikipedia grab and a quick flick through relevant books but most of us wouldnt attempt to play the expert on the back of it

On 08/03/2024 at 09:25, TheBrownBottle said:

:) 

There is a weird notion tbf that Grey’s Monument is the centre of the city.  It really isn’t in any real sense - certainly not for bars and restaurants.

Newcastle isn’t a city in any real sense in any case.  It has the feel of a town due to its relatively small centre.  The arena site really isn’t less accessible in any sense.  There are far more (good) bars near central station & on the quayside which are much easier to get to the arena than SJP.

Honestly, it doesn’t arse me either way, but the idea that the arena is a terrible trek is absolutely crackers.

All this boils down to whether or not the ownership is serious in their stated ambitions or not.  If we stay at SJP, we stay roughly where we are right now in all respects - we won’t catch the current elite in a lifetime, never mind five or ten years. 

For people who live in the area the centre totally depends on where they land. For visitors anywhere between Cental and Monument is realistically the centre. I think its fair to say St James is on the outskirts of the centre. Close enough to be classed as city centre. The Arena area isn't much different in terms of distance but it's a nightmare to get to by anything other than on foot. The roads are a nightmare and the public transport to it is laughable if going from anywhere other than Gateshead or Central.

Totally off the wall idea and would cost an obscene amount, but a stadium built over the river would be immensely cool and unique. Yes there's a billion reasons why it can't happen but would be hugely impressive and completely one of a kind. 

I don't think there's any argument that the arena is significantly further away from where it's all going on, it's just that the walk to the arena area is through a bit of a grim hinterland of roads and dereliction and industrial estate whichever way you do it. Would feel city centre the same way as the mackems stadium does to me, close but kinda not quite.

Anyone ever ever come out of the arena at night after a gig ? Its chaos and thats only 5-10 k people . Now imagine 60k football fans . Its not workable in fact it would be dangerous especially when you factor in the potential for conflict between opposing sets of supporters . 

7 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

Anyone ever ever come out of the arena at night after a gig ? Its chaos and thats only 5-10 k people . Now imagine 60k football fans . Its not workable in fact it would be dangerous especially when you factor in the potential for conflict between opposing sets of supporters . 

I'd imagine anyone willing to spend £800m on a stadium might just factor that sort of thing into it. Be it parking, pedestrian access or bus stops. They won't just build it and nowt else 

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

I'd imagine anyone willing to spend £800m on a stadium might just factor that sort of thing into it. Be it parking, pedestrian access or bus stops. They won't just build it and nowt else 

Remarkable that some thinknyhere would be no other development around the site. 

The land between Skinnerburn and Scotswood Roads is ideal because, if developed holistically, could not only supercharge the football club but transform that area. It's a peripheral no-go area at the moment, but could be quite the opposite once developed.

18 hours ago, bobbydazzla said:

Just casually dropping this in here for all the BRICK BY BRICK haterz

IMG-6980.jpg

We should put the metro under leazers terrace just to justify moving the cunt

As has already been pointed out, it looks like there are in places around 40 metres of ascent between Skinnerburn and Scotswood Roads, which is about the same height as the rooftop tour that they do at SJP.  How are we dealing with that?  Banking up the whole thing to create a gigantic wall above the riverside road with a huge stadium on top, or building it into the bank side like a Hobbit stadium with Scotswood Road and its garages sat on top? Kevin McCloud would love the latter I reckon.

Could be like Kenilworth Road except you get in through a one storey entrance between a builders merchant and a Toyota dealership and the pitch is way below you 

Edited by OpenC

1 hour ago, Nepharite said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLym7n3fD2s&t=711s 

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he does have some pertinent info in this video.

He massively overstates how far along Homes England are, they're doing some preliminary site survey work and by the looks of things they're not even remotely close to submitting a planning application let alone taking a final investment decision to proceed. That said there is a planning application from 2018 that seems not be extant yet but still be some way to go to get to FID.

Also fails to mention there's already a planning application for 397 dwellings on the helipad site that is expected to go to committee in April - submitted by "Marty" that he's spoken to! This will be a plan to increase the value of the land and then sell it most likely. 

I can't see the club going for this location, but all of the above can be overcome if they really wanted it and are willing to pay for it given how early in the development stage the other plans here are.  

Edited by Greg

17 minutes ago, Greg said:

He massively overstates how far along Homes England are, they're doing some preliminary site survey work and by the looks of things they're not even remotely close to submitting a planning application let alone taking a final investment decision to proceed. That said there is a planning application from 2018 that seems not be extant yet but still be some way to go to get to FID.

Also fails to mention there's already a planning application for 397 dwellings on the helipad site that is expected to go to committee in April - submitted by "Marty" that he's spoken to! This will be a plan to increase the value of the land and then sell it most likely. 

I can't see the club going for this location, but all of the above can be overcome if they really wanted it and are willing to pay for it given how early in the development stage the other plans here are.  

Should just buy the land anyway and stick a 20k stadium there for the women/reserves/academy to play in and also pay Beyoncé billions to play there just to piss off the mackems. :lol: 

On 08/03/2024 at 20:58, Orphanage said:

Eddie claims to have autism but theres  no way to check if thats true

so does anthony hopkins, don't see him being a gob shite making nufc videos

14 hours ago, OpenC said:

As has already been pointed out, it looks like there are in places around 40 metres of ascent between Skinnerburn and Scotswood Roads, which is about the same height as the rooftop tour that they do at SJP.  How are we dealing with that?  Banking up the whole thing to create a gigantic wall above the riverside road with a huge stadium on top, or building it into the bank side like a Hobbit stadium with Scotswood Road and its garages sat on top? Kevin McCloud would love the latter I reckon.

Could be like Kenilworth Road except you get in through a one storey entrance between a builders merchant and a Toyota dealership and the pitch is way below you 

Straightforward cut-and-fill exercise - perfectly normal in construction projects of this sort of scale.  Potential ground contamination makes it a bit more of a pain in the arse, but unlike the SJP site (where listed buildings exist and the civil issues with trying to build a structure on a Metro station - which require multiple disparate corrections, solutions and sign-offs), money is the only hindrance at the Skinnerburn / Scotchie Road site. 

The Saudi PIF are spending $500 BILLION on NEOM, creating an entire city from scratch and throwing up some enormous and technically challenging buildings, the likes of which the world has never ever seen before

What they’re doing is mindblowing to people who work in architecture, construction and civil engineering 

Yet apparently PIF would be unable to find a solution to a 40m elevation difference at the Arena site

Now I’m not saying we’re moving to the Arena, but I am saying that building a new stadium for NUFC would be like pissing around with a kids Lego set for these lot 

Edited by bobbydazzla

I just don't see them buying up hundreds of billions of square miles of land, moving out all the existing businesses and tenants and landscaping the whole thing to create what some of you seem to be visualising like :lol:

19 hours ago, Orphanage said:

Yeah. And we know that if they did build a stadium there, there would be absolutely no reconfiguration of routes in and out. It’s a non-starter.

14 minutes ago, OpenC said:

I just don't see them buying up hundreds of billions of square miles of land, moving out all the existing businesses and tenants and landscaping the whole thing to create what some of you seem to be visualising like :lol:

Aye, but everyone seems to think that end of town is the pits and most of it wouldn’t be missed? 

Flatten the lot and make our very own Wembley way.

15 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Which site are you talking about here?

11 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Aye, but everyone seems to think that end of town is the pits and most of it wouldn’t be missed? 

Flatten the lot and make our very own Wembley way.

This is absolutely true, but all that stuff is still inconveniently there, and there's a canny bit of it all around the area we're talking about. I feel like at some point the majestic vision is inevitably going to be over the road from abandoned unit #20 with a faded sign that used to say "Jones & Sons Poultry Byproducts, ltd."

I honestly hope they buy it all and level it, put beautiful golf course turf down and build that stadium with the bridges in the background.  I really do, I would miss SJP but I'd get over it. I suppose for all the talk about nothing being a difficulty for them, I just don't feel like the Saudis will be looking to recreate NEOM in Elswick :lol:

Edited by OpenC

Is it worth getting all het up about something that’s not happening? 

Can we go back to the hair-brained schemes for the existing location?

How about giant hydraulic rams that lift the East stand high into the air when not in use, giving leazes terrace copious amounts of light?

We could also award the contract to a fan who has delivered multi-million pound projects to ensure success. 

Edited by RS

Just now, RS said:

We could also award the contract to a fan who has delivered multi-million pound projects to ensure success. 

:lol: :thup:

2 hours ago, Nepharite said:

He may not be everyone's cup of tea but he does have some pertinent info in this video.

Funny how at the end of the clip he berates Luke Edwards for messing up details in an article which he then messes up himself.