St James' Park

Delima

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Love discussing using the SOS, knowing that their board would be radge enough to say yes because money, and their entire support would throw the biggest wobbler in history

When you say it like that it would be actually hilarious. 

We could use our old contacts with mike to help them set up a sports direct in the fucking dump. 

We could even lay mats outside the ground after the game to wipe your feet on, on the way out

5 hours ago, Pancrate1892 said:

St James 52,000+

SOS 49,000

Riverside 35,000

Darlington arena 25,000+

Gateshead international 12,000

Kingston park 10,000+

Daft ones

Murrayfield 67,000+

Elland road 38,000

Any others? 

Maybe we could rename ourselves 'newcastle rangers' for a couple of seasons and go on a tour around the different venues 

Magpie Rangers - we have a ready made song for that O0

8 minutes ago, Mag3.14 said:

Magpie Rangers - we have a ready made song for that O0

And I'm sure a team called Rangers (no relation to the Glasgow one) was the first to play at SJP.

On 24/03/2024 at 13:38, madras said:

And I'm sure a team called Rangers (no relation to the Glasgow one) was the first to play at SJP.

Yes they were. They were only the 2nd association team to be formed in Northumberland and Durham after Tyne. They very likely named the patch of the leazes 'st James' park, and a lot of their players moved to East end when they folded, so they have a strong connection to the club despite their short lived existence 

Wouldn’t the solution be to build a training facility with stadium ( to be used by the reserves and women’s team in the long term) and use that temporarily whilst SJP was rebuilt?

On 24/03/2024 at 13:38, madras said:

I'm actually in the middle of a project putting together their whole history season to season with players, grounds and famous matches. Another connection with NUFC is that rangers second home after SJP was the same Dalton st ground in byker that was East ends home for a few seasons. 

It's weird seeing St James' park mentioned in 1880 as just grazing land. That bastard leazes terrace was there mind 

18 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

That bastard leazes terrace was there mind 

:lol: :thup: was handbuilt by Jesus himself, I heard. Completely untouchable, unlike the Royal Arcade which appeared to look just as good as Leazes Terrace but was hauled off all the same 

Edited by OpenC

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

:lol: :thup: was handbuilt by Jesus himself, I heard. Completely untouchable, unlike the Royal Arcade which appeared to look just as good as Leazes Terrace but was hauled off all the same 

Well I suppose it's full of long haired, jobless, save the planet types

Aye, the royal arcade....was that where the roundabout is? 55 degrees north? Fuck knows what it's called now 

55 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I mean, knocking down one beautiful iconic building doesn’t mean you should knock down another one :lol:

We are just moving it, like Lego, brick by brick 

It's hardly iconic like - most folk wouldn't even know it existed if it wasn't next to SJP.  And it's almost certainly no more beautiful than plenty of other streets in town that have already been bulldozed :lol:

Edited by OpenC

I’ve been told they have had that report for over 2 weeks now and one of the major sticking points (as well as planning permission issues) of a large redevelopment of SJP is the existing metro infrastructure.

A lot of different parties would need to come together in agreement before anything could happen.

2 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I’ve been told they have had that report for over 2 weeks now and one of the major sticking points (as well as planning permission issues) of a large redevelopment of SJP is the existing metro infrastructure.

A lot of different parties would need to come together in agreement before anything could happen.

I suppose that would be the case even if they wanted to build a brand new stadium? Although presumably the financial upside of that would be greater.

Edited by Keegans Export

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Just close St James Metro . Does anyone use it anyway ?

1 hour ago, ShootShoot said:

Just close St James Metro . Does anyone use it anyway ?

Am I right in thinking that part of the line ends there? If so than you have a point. Monument or Central isn’t much of a walk

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

Am I right in thinking that part of the line ends there? If so than you have a point. Monument or Central isn’t much of a walk

Ive honestly never seen anyone come out of there . Fans usually get off at Haymarket or Monument and walk up . The walk up is part of the matchday experience 

The Metros do actually need to turn around there, you know :)

The Metro station was always the issue and is why expansion is likely impossible.  The piling you’d need to extend the Gallowgate back would be monstrous, and would go straight through the station. 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The Metros do actually need to turn around there, you know :)

The Metro station was always the issue and is why expansion is likely impossible.  The piling you’d need to extend the Gallowgate back would be monstrous, and would go straight through the station. 

Just put the turnaround point back towards Monument . Problem solved ? Plus they dont actually ' turnaround ' ( like in a circle ) they just head back the way they came . 

Edited by ShootShoot
Extra bit