St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

2 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Na na na na, hey hey hey, Zico Martin!

Aye we sung " we love you Newcastle" not "we love Newcastle"

Millenials man !!

10 hours ago, Groundhog63 said:

Extend the Gallowgate and make the whole thing safe standing* You'll get 80k radgies singing their tits off for 103mins

* ship the old cunts into a slightly extended East Stand that's been fitted with kermode seats

Ps I'm 60 and stink off piss

Safe standing wouldn’t add additional capacity unfortunately 

9 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Na na na na, hey hey hey, Zico Martin!

I'll raise you, "A little white Bull" and "Why's the corner/scoreboard full of shit", grim as feck sometimes but always had a great time and  a warm wet leg.

1 hour ago, madras said:

Aye we sung " we love you Newcastle" not "we love Newcastle"

Millenials man !!

I’d say the dropping of “you” is a pet hate but it’s not a pet.

Sickening tbf. Nearly as bad a some millennial at Monument singing “when he grabs the ball he scores a goal” in the Andy Cole chant.

Edited by Sima

3 minutes ago, Sima said:

I’d say the dropping of “you” is a pet hate but it’s not a pet.

Sickening tbf. Nearly as bad a some millennial at Monument singing “when he grabs the ball he scores a goal” in the Andy Cole chant.

"Grabs", really ? You heard that ? I'd need to be held back !

2 hours ago, OpenC said:

Do they still use this one

Love this version of the Blaydon races,  it always reminds me of going with me Da to the old St James Park. I think they used to play it at the beginning of the match & after we won as the supporters were leaving. :indi:

home-of-the-entertainers-in-1996.jpg

10 minutes ago, madras said:

"Grabs", really ? You heard that ? I'd need to be held back !

:lol:

If I’d pushed him under an oncoming Metro I reckon I’d have been acquitted in Newcastle Crown Court citing that as a motive.

Edited by Sima

19 minutes ago, Playmaker said:

Love this version of the Blaydon races,  it always reminds me of going with me Da to the old St James Park. I think they used to play it at the beginning of the match & after we won as the supporters were leaving. :indi:

home-of-the-entertainers-in-1996.jpg

Aye, it's the one I remember from going in the 2000s with my dad and brother. Blitzkrieg Bop, that version of Blaydon Races, O Fortuna, Local Hero. Fucking New Radicals every half time :lol:

All started going wrong when they had to shoehorn in the Prem music

On 03/04/2024 at 18:50, Whitley mag said:

It will never be a truly great stadium if we can’t do anything with the East Stand, one look in the atmosphere thread from last night also confirms that the whole acoustics of the place are shite.

It needs to be a complete rebuild job if we stay at SJP for me, mirroring level 7 at the Gallowgate End will kill the place stone dead, the current level 7 is so poorly designed, why the hell we’d want to mirror it at the Gallowgate End is beyond me.

Exactly this, has to be all or nothing simple as that. The leazes and milburn expansion was good and practical at the time but by no means should we mirror it.

Edited by NUFC91

1 hour ago, NUFC91 said:

Exactly this, has to be or nothing simple as that. The leazes and milburn expansion was goof and practical at the time but by no means should we mirror it.

You mean keep a sloped roof, but higher obviously?

Funny how the acoustics appear to be ok on those amazing days when the crowd is 100% behind the team and they beat PSG or come back from 3 down to win, but then are less amazing on those days where we spend most of the game holding onto a slender one nil lead, miss a hatful of chances then give away a penalty at the death.

I reckon folk are going to have to accept at some point that for better or worse the crowd isn't the same as it used to be and that old crowd probably isn't coming back even if we can accommodate them. Is it the acoustics that made us sing Blaydon Races too fast for a few years then just stop altogether?

No, it doesn't. It's a convenient but unrealistic excuse for the ground being quieter than it used to be imo. Personally would imagine that demographic charts would be more successful than acoustic ones in determining why that's the case. 

I watched and heard the place getting flatter and flatter between Robson and Pardew's reigns from the middle of the Gallowgate. I see kids wearing ear defenders attending with their families now, possibly most of the time with dads that used to attend solo and maybe made a bit more of a noise when they did. The game at this level has changed, the fans have changed too.

Just imo, I haven't been a regular attender for a decade now but I still see the crowds before the game.

Edited by OpenC

1 hour ago, OpenC said:

I reckon folk are going to have to accept at some point that for better or worse the crowd isn't the same as it used to be and that old crowd probably isn't coming back even if we can accommodate them.

Not picking up on your words personally but when we talk about the crowd in the past, which times are we talking about? 

8 hours ago, timnufc22 said:

You mean keep a sloped roof, but higher obviously?

Sorry worded it wrong, to be has to be all or nothing as in we knock it down stand by stand or we move. I think just expanding the gallowgate would be crap personally.

Acoustics plays a massive part imo. As people know we are ST holders at PSV Eindhoven. 35k capacity. Very steep stands all of the same height. We sit quite a way from their singing end where the most boisterous supporters are, more or less the other side of the ground but noticed even at times when there's clearly only a couple of hundred of them singing it really carries right across the stadium and sounds loud. Compare to SJP and if you're sitting a fair way from the Strawberry Corner you can see them all (1.5k+) really going for it but the noise simply doesn't carry across.

Stadium design plays a massive part. Been to Ibrox several times and that's probably the best example of a stadium design that is great for atmosphere because you can actually hear the echo of the noise rebounding off each stand when they are up. It's pretty spine tingling tbh.

At the other end of the you have a big vast bowl like what West Ham have. 60k+ there and they now have real difficulty generating noise, despite having twice as many fans is as the Boleyn Ground which admittedly could get pretty noisy.

Southampton in the League Cup last year was a great example for me. We got stuck towards the back of L7 right across towards the Gallowgate. Atmosphere was completely dead. Embarrassing for a Semi Final. Met up with mates in the pub who'd been in the Gallowgate and they were raving about the noise.

Edited by Wallsendmag

Think there's a mixture of things tbh.

The crowd isn't what it used to be, some rose-tinted hearing aids (watch some of the full Keegan-era matches and you'll hear it for yourself), and a bit of acoustics.

Edited by Kid Icarus

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Acoustics plays a massive part imo. As people know we are ST holders at PSV Eindhoven. 35k capacity. Very steep stands all of the same height. We sit quite a way from their singing end where the most boisterous supporters are, more or less the other side of the ground but noticed even at times when there's clearly only a couple of hundred of them singing it really carries right across the stadium amd sounds loud. Compare to SJP and if you're sitting a fair way from the Strawberry you can see them all (1.5k+) really going for it but the noise simply doesn't carry across.

Stadium design plays a massive part. Been to Ibrox several times and that's probably the best example of a stadium design that is great for atmosphere because you can actually hear the echo of the noise rebounding off each stand when they are up. It's pretty spine tingling tbh.

At the other end of the you have a big vast bowl like what West Ham have. 60k+ there and they now have real difficulty generating noise, despite having twice as many fans is as the Boleyn Ground which admittedly could get pretty noisy.

Southampton in the League Cup last year was a great example for me. We got stuck towards the back of L7 right across towards the Gallowgate. Atmosphere was completely dead. Embarrassing for a Semi Final. Met up with mates in the pub who'd been in the Gallowgate and they were raving about the noise.

Spot on, Evertons new ground to me looks like it ticks all the boxes, all 4 stands same size and close to the pitch.

3 minutes ago, NUFC91 said:

Spot on, Evertons new ground to me looks like it ticks all the boxes, all 4 stands same size and close to the pitch.

Another great example at SJP is that if you are in the Strawberry Corner or the Gallowgate Upper you can't really hear (or see) the away fans. They might as well not be there. However there's been matches over the years where I've left early and walking back into town you can hear the away fans loud and clear as their noise drifts straight over the East and Gallowgate roofs.

In other words the noise isn't really held inside the stadium, and that's down to design first and foremost.

Agree Evertons ground looks like it'll hold noise in well.

10 hours ago, OpenC said:

Aye, it's the one I remember from going in the 2000s with my dad and brother. Blitzkrieg Bop, that version of Blaydon Races, O Fortuna, Local Hero. Fucking New Radicals every half time :lol:

All started going wrong when they had to shoehorn in the Prem music

1980’s, every game, everyone bopping. Bring it back. 

Over the past few years or so I've not had a ST so just tended to pick tickets up when and where I can which means I've sat all over the place.

In my experience the best atmosphere is middle/back of the Gallowgate and I think that is at least in part due to the sloping roof which allows any noise to reverberate around. Now I'm not saying the atmosphere is amazing or anything, but it was certainly better the few times I've been in there compared to my ventures into the Leazes and Milburn Stands. I'm just talking regular PL games here, not PSG etc.

Of course there's more to it than that and certain games are going to have a buzz about them regardless but its disingenuous to suggest that the design of the stadium plays no part in it. 

It's not disingenuous if you really think that the design of the stadium plays no part in it :lol: and I really don't. I've had the same experience sitting in different parts of the ground - like I say, I watched the life drain out of the Gallowgate between 2001ish and 2014ish when I got rid of the ST, and I've had good and bad experiences in pretty much all of the ground since then (I sat in the away end when it was up in the corner with a mate for a Leeds game and there was no issue with the atmosphere there). Only place I've never sat is the lower levels of the Leazes.

It's almost exclusively to do with the quality of the football and the composition of the crowd (again, imo).

29 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

1980’s, every game, everyone bopping. Bring it back. 

Then we'll just need the Clap Clap Song and Glory Days by Springsteen!