St James' Park: club plans to expand existing site further to completion of feasibility study (Edwards)

Delima

5 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s the ‘existing stadium is key’ bit that I don’t get.  SJP isn’t anything like what it was even 25 years ago.  It’s not the same ground.  Why are the current stands suddenly important?

Yep SJP is currently late stage Triggers Broom 

10 minutes ago, ShootShoot said:

Yep SJP is currently late stage Triggers Broom 

I dont think it is mate, ive been going for years with my grandad, old man brother, my mates and their dads, walking the same route and sitting in the same locations since the early 80s.  Whilst I am on side with a slight move in

t he city to gain more sets and space, its still a tough emotional pull to walk away from the current SJP, especially since some of the people i went to the match with are no longer here. 

1 minute ago, NG32 said:

I dont think it is mate, ive been going for years with my grandad, old man brother, my mates and their dads, walking the same route and sitting in the same locations since the early 80s.  Whilst I am on side with a slight move in

t he city to gain more sets and space, its still a tough emotional pull to walk away from the current SJP, especially since some of the people i went to the match with are no longer here. 

Castle Leazes is within spitting distance . Im sure the ghosts of SJP past will have no problem adjusting and neither should we 

9 minutes ago, ShootShoot said:

Castle Leazes is within spitting distance . Im sure the ghosts of SJP past will have no problem adjusting and neither should we 

"Whilst I am on side with a slight move in

the city to gain more sets and space..."

your post is lifting btw 

5 hours ago, LFEE said:

Not read the story but going off the thumbnail 60K is nowhere near enough. Ticket prices will get silly.

70,000 is the sweet spot. We'd fill that every week in an all-new stadium. 

4 hours ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Just as likely as the all those options is nothing much happening at all. Wouldn't be surprised if they decide just spruce up what we have.

I'm at the point where we've been talking about this option and that option for so long that I find it hard to believe that anything will actually happen. Also got a horrible feeling that the Saudis will get sick of being hamstrung at every turn by the corrupt six and the PL and will at some point jack it all in. It's a weird thing but maybe it's just me though.

Just wait two seasons of no European football and most of the fuckers will have left again. Our fanbase is an utter state at the moment. 

52 minutes ago, Wandy said:

70,000 is the sweet spot. We'd fill that every week in an all-new stadium. 

Cant see us filling 70,000 every week mind, especially considering we would have to increase the away allocation, and i cant see teams like Burnley, Sheff Utd, Southampton, Wolves, Fulham, Bournemouth etc would bring 5/6k.

I think 65,000 would be the sweet spot and could probably fill that more regularly. 

If we have a stadium which is too big and were not filling it, we still have to pay stewarding, catering etc plus it will look awful on tv.

4 minutes ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Cant see us filling 70,000 every week mind, especially considering we would have to increase the away allocation, and i cant see teams like Burnley, Sheff Utd, Southampton, Wolves, Fulham, Bournemouth etc would bring 5/6k.

I think 65,000 would be the sweet spot and could probably fill that more regularly. 

If we have a stadium which is too big and were not filling it, we still have to pay stewarding, catering etc plus it will look awful on tv.

Some away teams won’t bring in a lot of fans, but if it’s a weekend fixture, we’ll always be able to get a bit more than most simply because a lot of them will want to make a weekend out of it.

We have somewhere between 30k-50k fee paying members, with some others outside of that looking for the occasional ticket. It’s a bit off to say that we can’t regularly get 20k more people through the door.

1 minute ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

I don’t agree with you except for a small handful of games midweek initially.

The last seats you’d sell would be the highest and you wouldn’t even see that on TV and the stewarding I wouldn’t see needed to be increased but even if so there nights work would be covered by the sale of one maybe two match tickets. 

Go into the membership or ticket sections and read how much people on here alone are missing out and this is a team that’s been mid-table most of the season with most of its best players missing for long periods.

As I keep repeating. 32-35K ST holders. 75-90K memberships = Over 100k home seats alone on the safe side potentially and we are still in phase one. 

Even if you downplay the figures further what’s the point in building a once in a lifetime state of the art stadium to only sell it out first game allowing the club no room to grow further again?

If Sam Fender can sell 2x50k over a weekend surely he could sell 1x80k for a one night only. Imagine holding the Champions League Final. After corporate sponsorship allocation and local allocation 65K wouldn’t leave much left for two major teams.

Need to stop thinking about Bournemouth on a Tuesday night and start thinking about what the whole point of a new stadium is and that is to grow the club into the No.1 spot.

26 minutes ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Why would we have to increase away allocation it’s capped at 3k by PL ?

Edited by Whitley mag

Isn’t the issue that we don’t have enough top quality hotel space in the city so we can’t hold anything big like European finals or NFL games?

might be a total myth but sure that got bandied around a lotS 

Honestly think the demand is there to fill 70k each game if the tickets are priced adequately. I also think that if the sweet-spot is 70k then you may as well build it up to 80k to future proof it should we be really successful, we're only going to (potentially) do this thing once in all of our lifetimes so why cap it at 70k?

All that said I'd still prefer the current location or as close as makes no difference. I'll just wait and see and keep my mind open to what's possible and what's not.   

17 minutes ago, midds said:

Honestly think the demand is there to fill 70k each game if the tickets are priced adequately. I also think that if the sweet-spot is 70k then you may as well build it up to 80k to future proof it should we be really successful, we're only going to (potentially) do this thing once in all of our lifetimes so why cap it at 70k?

All that said I'd still prefer the current location or as close as makes no difference. I'll just wait and see and keep my mind open to what's possible and what's not.   

70k with an integration within the design for an easy 5-10k addition.

5 hours ago, NG32 said:

You all must be in the upper tier of the East Stand then.  Nowhere else in SJP is as it was in the early 80s. 

50 minutes ago, OCK said:

Any new stadium will also mean complying with the PL rules regarding away fans' seats. 

Yeah need to keep them in the sticks 😅 

1 hour ago, captainhaircut said:

Isn’t the issue that we don’t have enough top quality hotel space in the city so we can’t hold anything big like European finals or NFL games?

might be a total myth but sure that got bandied around a lotS 

Not exactly. We have enough hotel space, but not enough top end hotels. That will change soon though, there is a few planned, the most prominent one being on Pilgrim Street and being developed by the Reuben’s.

3 hours ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

We don't need to increase the away allocation, for league games anyway, not if we don't want to - rules stipulate that its 3k minimum for stadia at 30,000+,10% of capacity otherwise 

4 hours ago, JigsawGoesToPieces said:

Why would we have to increase the away allocation? Man Utd holds 74k and they give away teams 3k tickets, same as we do.

If SJP held 70k it would have been sold out for every game this season.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

Why would we have to increase the away allocation? Man Utd holds 74k and they give away teams 3k tickets, same as we do.

If SJP held 70k it would have been sold out for every game this season.

It definitely would.  I’m not at all worried about the ‘what happens when we’re shite’ discussions.  We don’t know when or if that will happen - and even if it did, the club still had big gates for most of the Ashley era.  It’s a long time since I was on a half empty terrace with my dad at SJP

Has anyone who is dead set on a new stadium actually experienced an amazing atmosphere in a new ground? Beside loving SJP that is one of the main aspects making me reluctant to move. Been to the new Wembley a few times and it's a nice day out and everything but feels soulless.

I'd hate for us to go full steam ahead into a new stadium build and end up in a venue that felt horribly artificial, looking back at what we've lost when there's no going back. That said I'm torn because I do feel we could fill 70-80k even during dodgy seasons if the pricing is right. 

23 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Has anyone who is dead set on a new stadium actually experienced an amazing atmosphere in a new ground? Beside loving SJP that is one of the main aspects making me reluctant to move. Been to the new Wembley a few times and it's a nice day out and everything but feels soulless.

I'd hate for us to go full steam ahead into a new stadium build and end up in a venue that felt horribly artificial, looking back at what we've lost when there's no going back. That said I'm torn because I do feel we could fill 70-80k even during dodgy seasons if the pricing is right. 

Wembley is fucking shit though.

The new Spurs stadium is an elite level stadium and everything Wembley if they insisted on building it, should have been. All Wembley has to offer is a bigger concourse to sell more overpriced food. It wasn’t even built to be the modern multi-purpose stadium it has become.

Wembley is nothing more than a generic bowl flat pack stadium, with bigger stands, and a roof trust that is there for show.