St James' Park

Delima

Good to see this finally getting a bit of coverage in the press, though not sure "South Tyneside superfan Keith ‘Beefy’ Roberts" is the best of spokespeople. :lol:

Owner Ashley angers Newcastle fans again

NEWCASTLE United owner Mike Ashley was labelled “greedy and grubby” today after work began to reinstall St James’s Park’s famous East Stand sign – with his budget sports company’s logo to go on either side of it.

South Tyneside superfan Keith ‘Beefy’ Roberts reacted with dismay after it emerged that the Sportsdirect.com brand is being placed on either side of the iconic ‘Newcastle United’ lettering.

Club officials had earlier pledged that the lettering would be unchanged when the sign was put back up.

But the new signage has a leaning font style – reflecting Sports Direct’s own logo.

The company’s brand will now be seen prominently every time live matches are screened at St James’s Park.

Mr Roberts, 48, from Jarrow, claimed it is just another sign of Mr Ashley “dragging the club down”.

He said: “Sports Direct is a cheap, chatty sports shop, and Ashley is turning us into a cheap, chatty football club.

“We are bigger and better than that. It’s greedy and grubby.

“He may have put millions in to save the club, but he’s made that back and more.

“He doesn’t care about the club. I just wish he would sell up and leave us alone.”

Newcastle United has made no official comment.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/local-news/owner_ashley_angers_newcastle_fans_again_1_3774538

Guest johnson293

What is there under "Related party transactions" is the following:

Advertising and promotional services were provided in the year to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the sole shareholder of the company's parent undertaking, St James Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services and the cost associated with the services was £42,250.

During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the sole shareholder of the company's parent undertaking, St James Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services and the cost associated with the services in the prior year was £42,250.

During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the sole shareholder of the company's parent undertaking, MASH Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services.

Wonder what the 2011 accounts will show? :rolleyes:

Re: 2008 and 2009, does this mean NUFC paid another of Ashley's companies?

The notes in the accounts say that NUFC provided the advertising and promotional services. So the issue is about money that might be owed to the club for providing those services, it isn't about the club paying money out to an Ashley company.

Understood. So, where is the money from Sports Direct?

The club has provided the advertising and promotional services and made no charge for it. So there is no money. It's Ashley's call, he owns the club. In much the same way it's his call on whether he charges the club interest on the money he has loaned.

That remains to be seen (the interest on the 'loan').

Squad photo: http://twitpic.com/6l524k

Just looking at that pic - Its getting silly now.

Surely on a team photos like that, the big name underneath should be your kit sponsor?

Always was before, wasn't it? In the days of S&N Breweries, Greenalls, NTL and then when we first signed up with Northern Rock?

EDIT: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.132361443500384.25294.132254886844373&type=1

Check out the more recent sqaud pics - always the kit sponsor.

Surely this would be akin to having 'Cameron Hall' or 'Shepherd Offshore' instead of Northern Rock etc in the days gone by?

Guest Roger Kint

Fucking 'Beefy' the superfan? The clueless berk  ;D

'He may have put millions in to save the club, but he’s made that back and more.'

Wheres that stupid owl O Rly? pic when you need it?  :undecided:

We'll probably be fed a line sooner or later, somewhere along the lines of 'I think the £20m a year of Ashley's own money to keep the club running is ample enough sponsor money'. Probably in even more condescending terms than that.

Guest Roger Kint

We'll probably be fed a line sooner or later, somewhere along the lines of 'I think the £20m a year of Ashley's own money to keep the club running is ample enough sponsor money'. Probably in even more condescending terms than that.

No chance of that being seen again. The Carroll money no doubt replaced it for this year and next with the club breaking even as we are told.

Guest Roger Kint

Can someone explain this for me, do we get paid to have Sportsdirect.com advertisment on our stadium? - If we get money, how much money do the club get?

All of that is explained in detail on this page

Can someone explain this for me, do we get paid to have Sportsdirect.com advertisment on our stadium? - If we get money, how much money do the club get?

Arghhhhh, no! The club (NUFC) do not get paid anything directly relating to the advertisements, they have cos around 42k to put in place. NUFC covered this cost

It is taking the proverbial now. It's like everytime he sees any photo with the team in it, he cocks his leg and sprays SD all ower them (it's the only reason for the blasted training ground signs).

Apropos of nowt.

http://files.sharenator.com/condescending_I_have_found_a_new_way_to_be_condescending-s720x254-37397-580.png

It is taking the proverbial now. It's like everytime he sees any photo with the team in it, he cocks his leg and sprays SD all ower them (it's the only reason for the blasted training ground signs).

Apropos of nowt.

http://files.sharenator.com/condescending_I_have_found_a_new_way_to_be_condescending-s720x254-37397-580.png

The real trouble is that he hasn't done this to piss the fanbase off, he just doesn't get what the club is about and what it means to people. None of this surprises me sadly. It's utterly hideous, in your face and lacking any sort of class, and that pretty much reflects our owner. It's also a comment on what is widely found in Premiership football, it's stuffed full of spivs and morally bankrupt.

Guest Roger Kint

I for one have had all my worries eased thanks to a Facebook notification telling me Colocho has changed the name of his group to 'Boycott Sports Direct'. That will teach Ashley once and for all tbh  ;)

I for one have had all my worries eased thanks to a Facebook notification telling me Colocho has changed the name of his group to 'Boycott Sports Direct'. That will teach Ashley once and for all tbh  ;)

Ha, good lad. :lol:

Beats taking money directly out of the club by boycotting pies, pints and games at least, and tbh might make a bigger point as SD seems to be the one thing Ashley really cares about.

Arghhhhh, no! The club (NUFC) do not get paid anything directly relating to the advertisements, they have cos around 42k to put in place. NUFC covered this cost

42K, must be a joke? Cant be legal to do something like that or ?

Since Ashley owns both, he could use club money to write 'Fuck you Geordies, Cockney Rule OK' on the roof if he wanted to

Why? That's probably about right for what the signs etc. cost, it's a legitimate expense

Since Ashley owns both, he could use club money to write 'f*** you Geordies, Cockney Rule OK' on the roof if he wanted to

Wasn't thinking about the sign itself, thinking about having Newcastle to pay for it. Must be some legal part that is not allowed paying advertisement for another company.

I feel like Ashley is being like a little kid on this one. It is like the more the fans sing shite towards him the more he tries to destroy our club. Cant see Ashley selling our club or walk away from it in the near future unless a crazy bid from some multi billionaire, so maybe it is time to make peace with Ashley?  - Llambias and Pardew has told the press that its not easy to get Ashley to spend cash on Newcastle United as long as we keep being hostile against him and his people, is it really possible to make peace with him?

Since Ashley owns both, he could use club money to write 'f*** you Geordies, Cockney Rule OK' on the roof if he wanted to

Wasn't thinking about the sign itself, thinking about having Newcastle to pay for it. Must be some legal part that is not allowed paying advertisement for another company.

I feel like Ashley is being like a little kid on this one. It is like the more the fans sing shite towards him the more he tries to destroy our club. Cant see Ashley selling our club or walk away from it in the near future unless a crazy bid from some multi billionaire, so maybe it is time to make peace with Ashley?  - Llambias and Pardew has told the press that its not easy to get Ashley to spend cash on Newcastle United as long as we keep being hostile against him and his people, is it really possible to make peace with him?

No need to make peace with him (he's not exactly proved anything very positive yet).

I'm not going to shout dogs abuse at him though which was all Llambias was whining about.

£42k was paid in 2008 and 2009. Are you sure these are signage costs? The same figure, two years running...

Guest Roger Kint

Ha, good lad. :lol:

Beats taking money directly out of the club by boycotting pies, pints and games at least, and tbh might make a bigger point as SD seems to be the one thing Ashley really cares about.

Wow i actually thought you understood the joke there for a minute.......

I just took the 'United For Newcastle' out, as I am now longer part of that shambles.

£42k was paid in 2008 and 2009. Are you sure these are signage costs? The same figure, two years running...

Not that it matters much, but I thought someone said that the £42K was just an actual cost in the 2008 accounts, and the 2009 accounts just referred back to it?