St James' Park

Delima

Obviously I would rather any other company in the world but I guess i'm just conditioned to calling stadiums by whoever owns the naming rights.

Really? How many are there in the Premier League? 2 or 3? Anyway, you can't rename a long standing existing stadium which already has a name, it's ridiculous because nobody would call it by its new name.

Guest sydneycove

It is. Same as America as well. Massive money in it for clubs and because none of our sports have the same marketability as the EPL they need all the cash they can get.

Obviously I would rather any other company in the world but I guess i'm just conditioned to calling stadiums by whoever owns the naming rights.

Really? How many are there in the Premier League? 2 or 3? Anyway, you can't rename a long standing existing stadium which already has a name, it's ridiculous because nobody would call it by its new name.

There's six at present: Emirates, Reebok, Etihad, Britannia, Liberty, DW. There are only six in the Championship by the looks, two in League One and three or four in League Two (though some of the lower league ones have official names nobody uses). So about one in five professional clubs overall.

There's six at present: Emirates, Reebok, Etihad, Britannia, Liberty, DW. There are only six in the Championship by the looks, two in League One and three or four in League Two (though some of the lower league ones have official names nobody uses). So about one in five professional clubs overall.

And none of them have had names changed from a name that's been used for more than a few years.

All of the current Premier League ones 'new' stadiums though, and never really had any other name to cling to.

All of the current Premier League ones 'new' stadiums though, and never really had any other name to cling to.

Yep, only three (Britannia, Reebok and DW/JJB) are over ten years old. Of the three, only Bolton were a Premier League club - having been promoted just before it opened.

Woah, not us really to be fair, we are not the Sports Direct stadium, and seriously doubt we ever will be. There is just branding i.e [company name] at St James's Park.

Just :lol: It's all over the ground.

Tbh it wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't Sports Fucking Direct and the money was going towards improving us.

But it is costing the club money and it's Sports Fucking Direct which is as shite as you can get.

This stuff about costing us money is going a bit far, there was nothing like that in the last accounts.

Yep, only three (Britannia, Reebok and DW/JJB) are over ten years old.

Which is why I said 'new'.  Reebok and DW / JJB have always been sponsored by those companies and have never had any other name attributed to them in the world outside of thier own fanbase.  Brittania, not sure about but not particularly bothered to be quite honest...

Tbh it wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't Sports Fucking Direct and the money was going towards improving us.

But it is costing the club money and it's Sports Fucking Direct which is as shite as you can get.

This stuff about costing us money is going a bit far, there was nothing like that in the last accounts.

Yes there was.

Edit: looks like I was thinking of the ones before that.

The last set of accounts didn't say we had paid anything, the set before did.  We've had 3 sets of accounts at least which has confirmed that we've had nothing off Sports Direct for the advertising.

Since the period covered by the last set of published accounts we've painted the Gallowgate roof and now we're defacing the East Stand.

Guest sydneycove

As an example:

The A-League (our football league)

Sydney - Aussie Stadium

Central Coast - Bluetounge Stadium

Newcastle - Ausgrid Stadium

Melbourne (2 teams) - AAMI Stadium and Etihad Stadium

Perth - nib Stadium

Brisbane - Suncorp Stadium

Gold Coast - Skilled Park

Wellington - Westpac Stadium

Or the NFL in America out of 30 stadiums 7 don't have naming rights sold of those 1 is owned by the state the team is in (Georgia) and Lambieu Field is in the process of renaming.

Will Etihad ever catch on as City's stadium name? COMS and Eastlands are both quite well established, doesn't roll off the tongue either.

Nah, I don't think so. It'll always be COMS/Eastlands for the locals and possibly some members of the press. Reports and all those will probably say Etihad.

Woah, not us really to be fair, we are not the Sports Direct stadium, and seriously doubt we ever will be. There is just branding i.e [company name] at St James's Park.

Just :lol: It's all over the ground.

Certainly is, and it's shit, but all I'm saying is  that it's not the SDS, and that's quite an important part of it.

Advertising is advertising, but actually having some bloke on 5 Live saying 'now we're of to Newcastles Sports Direct Stadium for the second half' would be fucking galling.

Tbh it wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't Sports f***ing Direct and the money was going towards improving us.

But it is costing the club money and it's Sports f***ing Direct which is as s**** as you can get.

Yes there was.

Edit: looks like I was thinking of the ones before that.

Of course it's costing us money! Company's aren't putting the signs up and doing up the dugouts with Sports Direct seats and such, free of charge are they :lol: