Duff's Dive

Guest Saint Andy

Guest Gemmill

The only way to get rid is for retrospective video evidence. Automatic 2 week salary fine (maximum allowed) for first offence, all subsequent offences a 5 match ban and one point deduction for the club in the Premiership.

Make the onus on the clubs to stop this.

Not gonna happen though.  And in the absence of any serious action by the authorities to stamp the problem out, we either get in on the act or we operate at a disadvantage to those who do.  Whether we like it or not, that is football, because that is the playing field the authorities are giving us.  Cheats prosper.  So let's prosper.

Guest TheOrder

The only way to get rid is for retrospective video evidence. Automatic 2 week salary fine (maximum allowed) for first offence, all subsequent offences a 5 match ban and one point deduction for the club in the Premiership.

Make the onus on the clubs to stop this.

Not gonna happen though.  And in the absence of any serious action by the authorities to stamp the problem out, we either get in on the act or we operate at a disadvantage to those who do.  Whether we like it or not, that is football, because that is the playing field the authorities are giving us.  Cheats prosper.  So let's prosper.

Exactly. We've been fucked over with dives before. The refs are clamping down on divers. It's their  fault if they can't spot them.

I hate divers and something needs to be done about it like bans after a review etc but some of the comments in this thread are a little OTT! People will be calling for him to be kicked out of the club next :lol:

Lads, I think most of you are being swayed by the way he fell. His thought was on the fall more than anything for obvious reasons as I said before:

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2005/04/20/story213105839.asp

Any other player would have just ran into the keeper, Duff's mind was just on falling properly. It's a psychological thing. I'm not a Newcastle supporter but I know Damien.

I hate divers and something needs to be done about it like bans after a review etc but some of the comments in this thread are a little OTT! People will be calling for him to be kicked out of the club next :lol:

I dislike his overall attitude though. All he's really given us so far this season is that goal at WHam, and several blasting of the ball into the defenders' thigh followed by whaling and screaming arms aloft for a pen.

And the "we've been fucked over so it's our right to get goals like that" stance is just as annoying.

Guest Gemmill

I dislike his overall attitude though. All he's really given us so far this season is that goal at WHam, and several blasting of the ball into the defenders' thigh followed by whaling and screaming arms aloft for a pen.

And the "we've been fucked over so it's our right to get goals like that" stance is just as annoying.

He's had a very long run of poor form.  That's all.  I've seen nothing in his attitude, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

As for the stance on diving - as I've already said, that is the game of football in this day and age.  Until the authorities do something about it, then we play the game within the boundaries of what they deem is acceptable.  You can try and be idealistic if you want, but all around you players will be winning penalties by diving, and we will be losing games that other teams would have won.  Fuck that.

I get the feeling that if it was Martins who fell when the keeper ran out he'd be spared a bit of critisism by a lot. I'm a Celtic fan. A small percentage of the fans are unhappy with Gravesen, the vast majority want to give him time. This is my first time on this forum in months and I'm really suprised at how many people seem to actually hate Duff already.

Guest Gemmill

I get the feeling that if it was Martins who fell when the keeper ran out he'd be spared a bit of critisism by a lot.

I think you might be right there.

i don't like diving - but i honestly don't think duff's dive was quite as blatant as you lot claim.

wasn't a penalty - i totally agree, but it wasn't christiano ronaldo stylee either!

It was a deliberate, cheating dive. End of.

Duffs mind was on diving.

you seem awfully certain - are you duff in disquise?

i don't like diving - but i honestly don't think duff's dive was quite as blatant as you lot claim.

wasn't a penalty - i totally agree, but it wasn't christiano ronaldo stylee either!

Have you seen it? He dived. That is deyond dispute.

see my first comment please - yes i saw it, i just don't completely agree with you

see my first comment please - yes i saw it, i just don't completely agree with you

Don't agree that he deliberately dove (sic??)?

Guest icemanblue

Don't agree that he deliberately dove (sic??)?

Dived* :)

Guest Jangles

He's had a very long run of poor form.  That's all.  I've seen nothing in his attitude, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

As for the stance on diving - as I've already said, that is the game of football in this day and age.  Until the authorities do something about it, then we play the game within the boundaries of what they deem is acceptable.  You can try and be idealistic if you want, but all around you players will be winning penalties by diving, and we will be losing games that other teams would have won.  f*** that.

His attitude seems ok but his form has been poor. Possession was everything at chelsea, if youve been drilled to keep the ball for 3 years then understandably his 1st instinct is to keep ball rather than take his man on, hopefully tonight saw the trend start to change. His lack of games probably hasnt helped.

I think the only way to get rid of diving is a retrospective yellow card for every offence, the number of cameras will usually make it easy to determine if there has been contact. It may not sound like much but serial divers will soon pick up 5 yellows and the associated ban .

Guest Gemmill

I think the only way to get rid of diving is a retrospective yellow card for every offence, the number of cameras will usually make it easy to determine if there has been contact. It may not sound like much but serial divers will soon pick up 5 yellows and the associated ban .

I think the refs are scared to book for diving tbh.  Booking someone for diving is akin to calling them a cheat, and that is a pretty serious accusation, and I think as a result it's natural for refs to shy away from doing it.  I don't have a stat on it obviously, but it's pretty clear that loads more free-kicks/penalties are won by diving than players are booked for diving.  Whilst there's an argument that the refs don't always spot the dive, I also think that if they're in two minds they'll give the benefit of the doubt to the player that was "fouled" rather than effectively accuse him of cheating.  It's just the easy option, and the referee knows that most of the fury over the decision will be aimed at the player that took the dive, while he gets to shrug his shoulders and say "What can I do?  He conned me."

All of which is why if they seriously want to sort this problem out, they need to start looking at video evidence and punishing players retrospectively.  It's not fair to put all the onus on the refs for levelling the cheating accusation at the player, especially in a game that moves as quickly as it does.  One second a player is tearing into the box, you blink, and he's tumbling to the ground.  What's the decision?  That's a hard call, and the default decision for most refs is probably going to be "Penalty".

It's up to the authorities to step in and take the onus away from the referees.  But it's not going to happen.