Bale, Barnes & Davies Still Targets

Rich

Roeder is off to Coventry tonight with David Mills to watch Gareth Bale in action and is also still monitoring Giles Barnes and Curtis Davies. Funnily enough, last time I played Football Manager they all ended up at Newcastle...:idiot2:

www.icnewcastle.co.uk/newcastleunited

Glenn Bales in for Gareth

Feb 20 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Glenn Roeder admits that Newcastle United have gone into "overdrive" in their search new players for next season.

That's why after supervising today's training session as United prepare for Thursday's UEFA Cup second leg with Zulte-Waregem, Roeder and his chief scout David Mills motored down to the Midlands to watch Southampton's highly-rated left-back Gareth Bale play against Coventry City at the Ricoh Arena tonight.

The Chronicle revealed in December that Roeder said that the two players he would love to sign from the Championship were Bale and Derby County's young midfielder Giles Barnes.

He did not mention Curtis Davies because at the time he felt that the West Brom defender was heading to Manchester United, although after this did not materialise the England Under-21 international is now a target.

Roeder told me today: "As far as our scouting is concerned, we are now in overdrive for next season.

"We only have the rest of February, March, April and a bit of May to make sure the players we targeted in January, but were unable to get, are still playing well.

"We will be checking on these players and other targets, so that if for any reason we do not get the players who are our first choice, we are in a position to act straight away.

"I don't normally talk about specific targets, but if I am spotted at Coventry tonight it will be obvious who I am watching."

Bale was expected to go to Old Trafford in the January window and Spurs are also keen to sign the teenage Welsh international.

But Roeder has spoken to Saints boss George Burley about Bale (pictured above).

Left-back is probably Roeder's priority in the close season with Olivier Bernard not coming through and Celestine Babayaro the only experienced player in this position.

Nice to see that LB is "probably" the priority... but does anyone think we could better spend the money on a proven fullback instead of Bale?

Wouldn't turn my nose up at any of those three coming to us, although I highly doubt we'll be allowed to snare all of them.

sure i read somewhere that barnes is off to spurs in the summer for £3mill.deals agreed and pre-contracts done etc.....may be media bull but i read it somewhere.

I think the Spurs fans were saying they'd signed him on the 31st January (that never happened, obviously.) I certainly remember KingDawson on here talking as though the deal was signed, sealed and delivered only for it to never be announced in the media. I don't personally recall anything to do with them signing him on a pre-contract, although admittedly I might have simply missed the news.

Guest icemanblue

Just did a quick search and you are indeed right, News of the World says that a £3m fee has been agreed for a move in July... being the NOTW I would hope that it's nowt but rubbish.

I read that too, oh, beaten to it.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Bale is almost 100% certain to join Man United in the summer. 

Dont know why we are actually wasting our time scouting him to be honest.

Why should Southampton agree to sell Bale in advance for £3 million? If they wait till the end of the season, in all probability they could get more.

Bale may not choose to go to Man U, if he has Evra to compete with for a place. With us, he'd be guaranteed a first team spot right from the off.

Guest Knightrider

All that money on a bairn...

I'd rather we bought experienced players for the backline, forget Davies, Ferdinand and Bale, buy experience for now, and let tomorrow take care of itself. When we are in a strong position to buy for the future then do that, we need players that are going to do the business for us now to take us up a notch or two.

Bale - Would probably cost more than Baines and isn't nearly proven enough for my liking.

Barnes - I would take for the right price, don't remember him being rated at a stupid figure, is versatile and has height.

Davies - Don't like him, shit player although I haven't really seen that much of him.

Why should Southampton agree to sell Bale in advance for £3 million? If they wait till the end of the season, in all probability they could get more.

Bale may not choose to go to Man U, if he has Evra to compete with for a place. With us, he'd be guaranteed a first team spot right from the off.

Isnt it Barnes that is being touted to have agreed a £3m deal in advance?

Everytime i see that Nugent of Preston, he gets better every game.   I would take a gamble on him.

I made a point of watching him in the Man City game. He definitely looks like a Premiership player, but I'm not sure he'd be an improvement on what we've already got in that department.

Isnt it Barnes that is being touted to have agreed a £3m deal in advance?

Oops my mistake. I misread the earlier post.

Southampton want 10m + for Bale.  same with WBA for Davies,  money we just do not have.

I agree, think we could do better. As said I don't think Wigan would demand that sort of money for Baines and he is a lot more proven and more than good enough!

Kingdawson might have been waxing lyrical about spurs and barnes, but (N.O.) Martin Jol said we were both in talks on Jan 31st, and he favoured Us over them.

Bale surely wont be ending up here? who knows though. Bit risky given his age, would prefer, bridge or baines. Wont complain if we did get him though.

Potentially LB sorted for the next 10 years.. Potentially is the word though unfortunately.

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~984801,00.html

Nothing like putting yourself under added pressure.

There is to be no excuse when we end up without the players we need for the start of next season.

Roeder has potentially made himself look like a complete t*** again. Except has decided to do it without the saftey harness this time.

There is to be no excuse when we end up without the players we need for the start of next season.

Roeder has potentially made himself look like a complete t*** again. Except has decided to do it without the saftey harness this time.

What do the reserves have to do with these three players?

The thought has occurred to me that he may be making these kind of public comments to put pressure on Freddie. Souness did the same kind of thing. The manager gets promised backing, but isn't sure that the notoriously secretive Freddie really means it.

Of course it could all backfire like you say, and the manager is the one who ends up looking stupid.

No way at all that we ever get Bale, thats just crazy to even think he would look at coming here.

If Westbrom come up then Davies will stay with them, he is Captain and will want to stay with his team.

Giles Barnes will probably still end up at Spuds also.