Wigan 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Wullie

As for supporting Roeder just because he's the manager, no thanks, I was told the same about Souness.  I don't want him sacked because I know we'll not get anybody better, that doesn't mean I have to support him when he gets things so wrong so often.

It was never set in stone and still isn't, but unfortunately, with just too few positives to win me over, that has remained my position since his appointment.

As for supporting Roeder just because he's the manager, no thanks, I was told the same about Souness.  I don't want him sacked because I know we'll not get anybody better, that doesn't mean I have to support him when he gets things so wrong so often.

Souness didn't have the second best win percentage of any Newcastle manager though.  A disappointing result today but hardly time for the manager to be sacked, it's ridiculous.

Edit: the second bit aint aimed at you.

Souness didn't have the second best win percentage of any Newcastle manager though.  A disappointing result today but hardly time for the manager to be sacked, it's ridiculous.

You're right, it would be mad to sack him mid season full stop.

Souness probably had the highest win percentage during his first 8 or 9 games, it didn't make him any better than he was.  Roeder has a lot of wins against nothing teams in Europe, games against teams that would struggle in a good local league.

We raped Spurs and could easily have been slaughtered, we were lucky against Villa and lucky against Liverpool, all games that we could have lost and that sort of result has been typical this season.

We played well enough last season but that was as much because of the lift we all had from seeing the end of Souness, everybody from the fans to the players received a massive lift from Souness leaving, Roeder played players where they were best suited to play and most of them responded, they were picked on merit, this season is totally different.

Players are just turning up and getting picked, just because they seem to be the chosen few.

Nowt wrong with the formation or team selection. just missed a host of chances in the 1st Half, and it cost us.

We didnt really. Martins missed a header an we missed a pen. Other than that we created no other clear chances.

If the club really is prioritising the UEFA Cup then we're in trouble. On current form AZ will beat us in both legs. They're not world beaters but they'll have enough us to outscore us.

Souness probably had the highest win percentage during his first 8 or 9 games, it didn't make him any better than he was.  Roeder has a lot of wins against nothing teams in Europe, games against teams that would struggle in a good local league.

We raped Spurs and could easily have been slaughtered, we were lucky against Villa and lucky against Liverpool, all games that we could have lost and that sort of result has been typical this season.

We played well enough last season but that was as much because of the lift we all had from seeing the end of Souness, everybody from the fans to the players received a massive lift from Souness leaving, Roeder played players where they were best suited to play and most of them responded, they were picked on merit, this season is totally different.

Players are just turning up and getting picked, just because they seem to be the chosen few.

Am i right in thinking we've only won 2 games this season by more than 1 goal? Hammers away and Spurs at home?

Am i right in thinking we've only won 2 games this season by more than 1 goal? Hammers away and Spurs at home?

Pompy and Villa?

would of put us 2 up, and laughing.

AZ are nothing special by the way

Yes i know. Read my post. They're nothing special but they do score a lot of goals and that will, on form, probably see them as favourites to go through.

Pompy and Villa?

Pompy at home was 1-0 but the cup game was 3-0 i think. The majority of games we've won this year have been by the skin of our teeth and when you win games like that,e ventually you will come unstuck. If we're being honest a lot of our wins this year- Spurs, Villa, Liverpool, Wigan, Blackburn- could have very easily been draws or defeats. We are not convincing.

Pompy at home was 1-0 but the cup game was 3-0 i think. The majority of games we've won this year have been by the skin of our teeth and when you win games like that,e ventually you will come unstuck. If we're being honest a lot of our wins this year- Spurs, Villa, Liverpool, Wigan, Blackburn- could have very easily been draws or defeats. We are not convincing.

You're right it was the cup game. :cheesy:

Roeder has been in charge over a year so not sure why 8 or 9 games of Souness matter.  And yes we've been lucky against those teams but we've also been unlucky, e.g. Fulham and Bolton at the start of the season which we deserved to win, it all evens out.

A honeymoon period doesn't last that long.  Why are people so adverse to complimenting him about anything?

When we have a full strength team will his true colours be shown.

Guest WalkervilleMag

dont hink he will ever get to the chance to field a full strength team.  the boo-booys will eventually get there way,  exactly the same thing will happen to the next manager also.

Roeder proved today that he doent have a clue which players to play, Nobby has been RB most of the season and has been outstanding so what does Roeder do......He drops Milner and has Nobby as RW then puts Taylor probably our best defender as the fucking RB.

As people have said Roeder played a stronger side against the part-timers, Im dreading the thought of the whole squad being fit.

we beat Fener, they did not.    your point being ???

Fener played really well on Thursday, they took a 2 goal lead yet AZ Alkmar came back at them, they didn't give up.  I don't think we'll beat AZ if they play like they did on Thursday.

We beat Liverpool who went on to beat Barcelona, it doesn't mean we'd beat Barcelona.

Guest WalkervilleMag

Fener played really well on Thursday, they took a 2 goal lead yet AZ Alkmar came back at them, they didn't give up.  I don't think we'll beat AZ if they play like they did on Thursday.

We beat Liverpool who went on to beat Barcelona, it doesn't mean we'd beat Barcelona.

Seen AZ play plenty of times, and they are nothing special. i fully expect us to win home and away.

And Fenerbache are absolute pony away from home in europe, but managed to go 2-0 up in alkmaar. 

Surely it works the other way as well?

We didn't give up against Liverpool when Bellamy scored and they were raining chances on us.  We absolutely can beat AZ.

Do we usually create loads in midfield and score tons of goals then? I must have missed that.

I rate Martins, Owen, Milner, Emre, Solano, Parker, N'Zogbia, Duff, Dyer and Butt.(The last two on this season's showing anyway) The reason we don't "create loads in midfield" and "score tons of goals" is down to the manager's incompetence. 

Babayaro, Bramble, Ramage and Carr are simply not good enough. And I'm still not convinced by Huntingdon and Edgar.

Do you think we've got a good defence or something?

Guest WalkervilleMag

Do we usually create loads in midfield and score tons of goals then? I must have missed that.

I rate Martins, Owen, Milner, Emre, Solano, Parker, N'Zogbia, Duff, Dyer and Butt.(The last two on this season's showing anyway) The reason we don't "create loads in midfield" and "score tons of goals" is down to the manager's incompetence. 

are simply not good enough. And I'm still not convinced by Huntingdon and Edgar.

Do you think we've got a good defence or something?

Bramble played well today. dont know which match you watched but i did not see Babayaro,  Ramage or Carr  playing

Roeder has been in charge over a year so not sure why 8 or 9 games of Souness matter.  And yes we've been lucky against those teams but we've also been unlucky, e.g. Fulham and Bolton at the start of the season which we deserved to win, it all evens out.

A honeymoon period doesn't last that long.  Why are people so adverse to complimenting him about anything?

When we have a full strength team will his true colours be shown.

I'm not sure we did deserve to beat Bolton, we had the first half and lead through a penalty, my memory is of them pissing all over us in the second half.  Fulham was probbly one that we could have won but it was too easy for them to get the points in the end with two soft goals.

When Roeder has all of the players back he'll probably have Owen in the team and I wouldn't put it past him to bring Carr back, who else?

I'll give him credit where due, well done for bringing in Martins and well done for bringing in Sibierski on a free, I'm not sure how much of that was good planning by Roeder or just luck that his agent contacted us when we were getting nowhere on deadline day, after that I'm struggling.

Guest WalkervilleMag

to be honest, we will perform much bettter as soon as the boo boys fook off and support another club (mackems perhaps)

Seen AZ play plenty of times, and they are nothing special. i fully expect us to win home and away.

And Fenerbache are absolute pony away from home in europe, but managed to go 2-0 up in alkmaar. 

I hope you're right about beating them home and away but I'm concerned that they didn't lie down when two goals behind and we're not brilliant at holding onto a lead.