Wigan 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Wullie

Unacceptable performance and result today. And I think it IS down to Roeder. Poor starting XI, no real hunger on display, and shoddy teamwork all round: nowt new. If you look at how well a decent, organised outfit like Reading can play--with average players--and compare with our headless chicken approach in the second half, you'll see that more work, much more, needs to be done on the training ground.

Newcastle are a typical mid-table team. They struggle away from home because they havent got the crowd on there backs, Same as the likes of Spurs and Blackburn. Every now and then we'll have a good game away from home but over the whole season our away record will be very poor.

Had on. Are you saying a largely subdued and often disgruntled home support has a more positive effect on the team than the cracking loud and encouraging away support?

You may well have a point, but be prepared to get that tin hat on sharpish. :lol:

Didn't see the game, but the people that are on about "UEFA Cup qualification out of our hands now, etc etc" are talking nonsense tbh. The truth is, it was never really in our hands.

And, when you look at it, it's still only one result. Our run isn't as difficult than one or two others around us. Again, i have to re-iterate, i didn't see the game. I'm sure that it was a crap performance, something we've seen before*, and it certainly does highlight our inconsistency - but i'm not going to go slitting my wrists over this one. Wigan are fighting for their lives and they would have been desperate for a result after the Charlton/West Ham debarcle. And we've got a monumentally shit record there anyway, with key players out.

I'm not saying that the people slating Roeder are knee-jerk, because he does make the same mistakes over again - but i'm not entirely sure he made them today. You simply cannot dictate what went on in the dressing room at half time because you weren't there - but if Roeder wasn't in there rallying his troops after they've gone in undeservedly 1-0 down, i'll be gobsmacked. We don't know what was said though, so we can't make facts about it.

Plus, you cannot say that he didn't try to change things this time - because he did. He brought on Milner and N'Zogbia with a significant amount of time left to play.

The only major mistake he made for me, was starting Milner against Zulte in the second leg. That was the totally stupid decision. He was obviously shattered, you could see that from his two performances, and the game effectively meant nothing. It's just a crazy, crazy situation when you see that he's started him in that game, and rested him for this one - the crucial one.

Of course, by today, he had no option but to rest Milner and his line-up was pretty much spot on in that respect. But he should never have forced himself into that situation in the first place.

So, like i say - i'm not stating that people are knee-jerk, because we all know Roeder's weaknesses, but i'm just saying that they're a little bit fickle. We beat Liverpool, Villa, etc, picking up a really good run - one concerning defeat and it's all 'Roeder out' again.

*And tended to pick up from...

Skirge, you usually talk a lot of sense, but trying to ablsove Roeder of blame today is woefully naive.

agreed.

he should have had a pair of balls and dropped one of thE centre halves (gooch imo) instead of dropping milner (nobby should have been full back)

just got back from the game, absoloutely awful.

shocking at the back and toothless up top, with nowt much in between.

very disappointed

I think that today we played well at the back.

We have seen alot worse performances from our defence

So, like i say - i'm not stating that people are knee-jerk, because we all know Roeder's weaknesses, but i'm just saying that they're a little bit fickle. We beat Liverpool, Villa, etc, picking up a really good run - one concerning defeat and it's all 'Roeder out' again.

Who? Name names if you are going to insult people.

very disappointed

granted, we didnt make an errors, but we looked far from comfortable and teh distribution from both centre halves was embarassing.

wasnt happy with teh gooch today either, looked all over the place at times, it was like a hot potato

Keefaz has it spot on.  Roeder was 100% responsible for todays defeat. Piss poor selection - ZERO motivation.

Nobby needs to learn to change the tune regarding penalty placement and Given needs high heels too - getting fucking caught AGAIN with an identical freekick as Drogbas. Given isn't World class and you saw why today.

Overall the bench and the team where clueless as each other - it seems patently obvious that Roeder can do nothing to lift his team and should leave at the end of the season without a doubt. In fact mathematical safety should see him depart.

Think of the teams who have took the points off us to keep us out of the top 6 today.

Didnt know whether its the tactics or players but they might as well have stuck Gazza and SBR in centre midfield today. Butt and Parker were horrible. Average in the first half, woefully invisible the second. Didnt show for the ball, couldnt distribute, didnt win any headers..

In short we didnt try to play football at all. All we did was to hoof it long and hope for a lucky break. How I wished at some point Parker will grab Bramble by the neck and demand for the short ball... but alas our inspirational captain, well, enough said.

We really need Dyer or Emre in the team.

Also, I've said a million times before, Roeder is shite when he has decisions to make. Away to a pub team at home with 3 away goals and 2 goals lead, with a crucial league game in 3 days what do you do? Start your full squad. Plus Rightback is the one position he didnt have to make any decision, Nobby has got to start there. Yet..

very disappointed

granted, we didnt make an errors, but we looked far from comfortable and teh distribution from both centre halves was embarassing.

wasnt happy with teh gooch today either, looked all over the place at times, it was like a hot potato

Gooch looked confused at times and had some poor passes but besides that i think he did ok.Dont remember that he has played only 3 games for us and in the premiership

He is not anything spectacular but he is better then Ramage for sure

Who? Name names if you are going to insult people.

Just had a scan through, so far spotted Chicago Shearer, Ridzuan and Skirge write us off - i got bored after that. To those three - if insulted you, i apologise from my heart of hearts.

Just think it's odd how people choose to write us off now, after this particular game, when were unlikely to ever get into the European spots. People are jubilant and confident, etc, etc when we beat someone good - we're better than Spurs etc - and all that malarkey... then we lose to someone lesser than us and the throats are being slit.

Plus, looking at it on the other hand, we're still not a million miles away. There is a glimmer. We came from further behind last year.

we lacked a door opener in the middle today.

parker and butt are too similar, and butt is better imo.

parker seems to have been pigeon holed as a defensive mid, and he seems to agree with it, and thats all he is now. he offers absoloutely nothing going forward.

with eme almost sure to be out of the door iun the summer, i hope we sign a 'door opener', as we dont have one at the moment

Roeder was 100% responsible for todays defeat. Piss poor selection -

The selection was pretty much correct for today's game. He couldn't have done a huge amount differently tbh. The thing he did wrong was start Milner the other night.

ZERO motivation.

And you know this how??? We're you in the dressing rooms? It's half the players' job to motivate themselves. Why should he have to do it all?

Given - Good, solid when he needed to be, could do nowt about a quality free kick.

Taylor - Average, imo showed he has relatively decent technical ability for a central defender.

Onyewu - Average, but alot of poor passing. No mistakes defensively, but at the same time doesnt do much else.

Bramble - Poor, might look good in the recovery tackle, but shit at marking. Booted the ball more times then he passed it.

Huntington - Poor, plays as though his left foot doesnt exist, and cannot pass.

Nobby - Poor, is finished as a right winger as he no longer makes any impact there.

Parker - Poor, not sure what he was supposed to be doing, contributed nothing to the team.

Butt - Average, good defensively but as per his natural game, nowt on the ball.

Duff - Poor, showed one instance of his old self when he beat his man (skill or fluke, not sure) and crossed well, other than that, usual crap of pretending to take players on and passing it to the fullback.

Sibierski - Poor, only contribution was defensively, but in terms of the job he was supposed to be doing, he was shiite.

Martins - Average, great first half where he was carrying the attack on his own, but unable to do anything in the second when the team fell apart

Subs:

NZog - Poor, but expected, he had an excuse having just returned from a long layoff.

Milner - Poor, showed some urgency but no quality, and what the hell was he doing with that golden chance to put a good cross in.

Carroll - Not on the pitch for long enough.

Guest Bellers

Yet more strange decisions from Roeder. Why choose to rest players during a vital league match when they could have been rested during the meaningless game back on Thursday night. That's European qualification almost certainly out the window, well done Glenn.

First half we looked fairly sharp creating a couple of chances and defending well up the other end. However the penalty miss can not be an excuse for what occurred next . Roeder's half time team talk must have been a good one because we came out the traps with NO creativity, NO flair and generally NO idea. Parker and Butt showed what an average pairing they are, they offered nothing going forward or back. Duff was pathetic once again and Sibierski proved he is a less than average target man. Leaving two of our most creative players on the bench was a mistake we payed for in full.

If we ever want to challenge for europe again we have to walk all over the likes of Wigan, Sheffield and Charlton. Something which we have  failed to execute all season. The truth is for weeks now we have looked mediocre. When the defence isn't gifting goals the attack are faultering up the other end. If we don't sort it out quickly we'll find ourselves getting rolled over on a regular basis, only a considerable amount of luck has stopped this from happening thus far.

The selection was pretty much correct for today's game. He couldn't have done a huge amount differently tbh. The thing he did wrong was start Milner the other night.

ZERO motivation.

And you know this how??? We're you in the dressing rooms? It's half the players' job to motivate themselves. Why should he have to do it all?

selection was pretty much correct???

how about he sticks with the lad who has probably been our best performer this season on the right and puts nobby right back, where he has played his best games this season and has a pair of balls to either drop one of the centre halves (what has gooch done to justify getting straight back in??), or play taylor at left back, instead of the other centre half that he put there who has less experience than taylor??

big mistakes for me

ZERO motivation.

I watched the game mate. That is how I KNOW that the players where getting nothing from the bench.

And the players do indeed motivate themselves - but not against the shite at the bottom. That is 100% fact.

Milner had played 41 games and needed a rest, Glenn could have rested him on Thursday but did not want to tkae any risks in the last cup we are in.

I can understand resting him, I suppose he may of played Dyer wide right if he had not been ill.

ZERO motivation.

I watched the game mate. That is how I KNOW that the players where getting nothing from the bench.

And the players do indeed motivate themselves - but not against the shite at the bottom. That is 100% fact.

Fair enough mate... you've got a good argument. If Roeder was silent all the way through the match, i'll be surprised, but you were there and i wasn't. And about the players... i'm not sure there. That sounds entirely unprofessional.

To Lovejoy... you're right. But he had to drop Milner - Milner couldn't face another game. His non-performances stuck out like a sore thumb, by his standards, against the Belgians. The line-up today was right... but he shouldn't have forced himself into doing it. He should have rested Milner the other day.

And to Indigo... before he inevitably comes out with his "can't comment if you didn't see it" bullshit, i haven't once spoken about the game itself - other than to say "i'm sure it was a crap performance...". So shush in advance. ;)

resting milner today was idiotic, as previously stated why not rest him on thursday?

surely we had more chance of winning at hiome, against a part time team that we are 3-1 up against than away to a prem team fighting for their lives???

stupidity imo

Exactly. He should have been rested the other day.

Rendering his line-up for this evening pretty much spot on. Cos he forced himself into resting Milner today.

AND BESIDES... i doubt the scoreline wouldn't have changed an awful lot if Milner was on the field, i'd say.

I understand why he rested Milner and had we won today no one would even mention it, Milner was fkn shatterd and well deserved a rest. Yes he could have rested him on Thursday but if we had been beaten (long shot I know) everyone would have been doing their nutt and it would have been "why rest Milner now, you can rest him against Wigan".

Roeder is beyond defence, again.

He picked a better first 11 on Thursday in a game which was all but won, even if we lost the home game we were never going to go down by more than 1 goal.  He played Milner on Thursday then dropped him today to give him a rest, personally I think "the rest" was an excuse to drop him.  If he was needing a rest then any manager worth that title would have rested him on Thursday, I'd love to see somebody try to defend that decision.

Roeder didn't have the balls to drop a senior player so he shuffled the pack to get the three central defenders in, he does the same to accommodate Carr, he's a joke of a manager.

The players should be motivated, self motivated, we all know life isn't that simple, sometimes it's the job of the manager, in this respect, I've yet so see any evidence that Roeder has done that this season.  The players we have on the pitch should be good enough to beat Wigan, Sheffield United, Charlton, Fulham and Birmingham 9 times out of 10, it's the managers job to make sure this happens, it's his job to make sure the players are up for it and that they are the best players at his disposal in every position, he doesn't do that and I think it's because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing and that assessment isn't knee-jerk, I've not changed my position on him since he was appointed.

I hoped I was wrong but so far it looks like I was right.

You don’t fail as often as him at previous clubs if you’re good at your job.

Roeder isn’t good enough, that isn’t going to change.

I don’t really blame people for defending him, we all want things to go well, the trouble is that by defending him you’re accepting the shite that was produced today and nobody should accept that today was good enough.  It wasn’t even a one-off it was typical of Newcastle this season and I think it’s going to be typical for as long as Roeder is manager.  If the players need some help from the management then they are in trouble because the management isn’t up to the job.