Wigan 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Wullie

From BBC Sport: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/6371353.stm

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder:

"It was a nailed-on penalty and if we'd taken the lead then, we'd have gone on to win as we were on top and Shay Given had little to do.

"But we just didn't take the chances we created, or made the best of the good positions we got into.

"The second half wasn't a great spectacle, but it should have been all over by half-time."

"It was a nailed-on penalty and if we'd taken the lead then, we'd have gone on to win as we were on top and Shay Given had little to do.

"But we just didn't take the chances we created, or made the best of the good positions we got into.

"The second half wasn't a great spectacle, but it should have been all over by half-time."

In the 2nd half we didnt manage to pass the ball more than twice

Another non performace again, as soon we get behind thay just fall apaart, Martins grafted his nutts off today but he needs Dyer up there with him, he was a massive miss today.

The whole lot of them need a rocket though and some ergency about their play. Huge gap for us to close down now, we MUST beat Boro but I am loseing my faith!

In the 2nd half we didnt manage to pass the ball more than twice

Don't be such an idiot.

And we have far too many stale players. Players who get the ball and don't know what to do with it, no directness in the team bar a few individuals.

When was the last time we put in a propper team performance? its been individuals that have gained us points most of this season, they must start getting together and fighting on or we will see fk all agian from this season and no European football next season unless we are invited to deffend our intertoto title. (oh the joy)

I hate to say it, but Roeder can come across as a right fucking spanner sometimes.

/often.

Roeder showed his ineptitude with his team selection versus Zulte and today. Why play such a strong team versus the Belgians when the game was all but over. The rotten second half performance today just confirmed his amateurish approach to football management.

Roeder out. Now.

Roeder showed his ineptitude with his team selection versus Zulte and today. Why play such a strong team versus the Belgians when the game was all but over. The rotten second half performance today just confirmed his amateurish approach to football management.

Roeder out. Now.

You might get stick from some but in reality you're not far wrong, he's clueless about most things that are important to managing a team.

He doesn't seem able to motivate.

Team selection is crap when he has to make decisions.

He's got blue eyed boys who he seems unable to drop when fit.

He's got no idea about tranfer windows.

I could go on.

What is he good at?

Cheers Mick. The performance today was half hearted and dismal. Just like Fulham. Its clear that the team do not respond to him. The games we've won this year have been by the skin of our teeth. When was the last time we won a game comfortably. The fact is we have fragile confidence and once something goes agiant us, ie a penalty miss, we're knackered.

Roeders not to blame for that mess, take those players down of their pedestals and realize they have to take the blame for poor first touch, poor vision, poor passing and lack of fight.

Those same players win games when motivated, they don't beat teams like Wigan.

Guest Micktoon

Today I watched the 7-1 against Tottenham on ESPN classic, then I watched the Wigan game. The difference is absolutely vast. The lads back then could pass, make space, tackle, take set pieces. The team of today is totally incapable of any of these attributes. Why in Gods name can't we pass the ball around and make space. Week after week this baffles me, we simply cannot string five passes together without giving it back to the opposition. Todays perfromance was attrocious, each and everyone of them should donate this weeks paycheck to charity. Five thousand spent there hard earned to travel down to the JJB and they were rewarded with that performance. Fucking embarrassing.

, each and everyone of them should donate this weeks paycheck to charity. Five thousand spent there hard earned to travel down to the JJB and they were rewarded with that performance. f****** embarrassing.

Thats the first thought on my mind after the final whistle

Poor lads,That was just an awful peformence from the players,the fan did more then there fair job today,i mean we head our chants on TV more then we heard Wigans chants..

Roeders not to blame for that mess, take those players down of their pedestals and realize they have to take the blame for poor first touch, poor vision, poor passing and lack of fight.

Utter tripe Skirge. The manager is always responsible for his sides performance. The starting XI and game plan stank to high heaven.

Roeder out. Now.

Without Bramble or Taylor I fear a Partizan stylee result would've occured against Zulte.

Utter tripe Skirge. The manager is always responsible for his sides performance. The starting XI and game plan stank to high heaven.

It's not tripe at all, the fact is it's not just Roeder's fault, the players need to take their fair share of any blame that's going around. If you think they're entirely innocent of any blame for the position the club finds it in then you're simply deluding yourself.

Exactly. Once they went behind is was the managers job to change things and inspire them with a half time team talk. What resulted was a desperate second half showing.

They came out fired up and played well until they went behind, then its upto them to keep going, Roeder cannot get ontot he pitch and do it for them. Way to much blame is put on managers.

What on earth do you thing the half time team talk is for?

It's not tripe at all, the fact is it's not just Roeder's fault, the players need to take their fair share of any blame that's going around. If you think they're entirely innocent of any blame for the position the club finds it in then you're simply deluding yourself.

I never said the players were exempt from blame but the buck stops, and always stops, with the manager.

I never said the players were exempt from blame but the buck stops, and always stops, with the manager.

Fair enough.

It doesn't matter whose fault it is ultimately. It is the managers responsibility that the best team are picked, the right decisions are made and we get results.

I doubt any manager including Roeder wold disagree with that.

EDIT: Bugger it, I keep repeating people. Damn my fat fingers. :lol: