Wigan 1 - 0 Newcastle - Post match thread

Wullie

Hardly an insult. :lol:

But OK, i'll have a look through the thread and have a little look.

Whey, I would argue that it is. Suggesting someone has so little courage in their convictions that they can be so easily swayed is hardly posive now is it. :razz:

Anyhoo, no bother, but I think that whether or not people were positive about beating Liverpool and the like, that still doesn't necessarily mean they had lost all their misgivings over Roeder or concerns about the club.

1) Todays game proved that if we get a big man in next season, we're f*****. Expect tons of long balls and s*** performances like we had today. Just look at how downhill Martins' game went when we reverted to route 1 in the second half, and itll be alot worse if Owen is playing because he sure as hell doesnt benefit from donkey football. Please, Roeder, move on and give up this obsession with an aerial replacement for Shearer, we dont need a big lump of a forward to score from headers as Martins has a massive leap with the ability to head well and Owen is deadly with headers. What we badly need is a creative playmaker up front, a replacement for Beardo, able to create using skill, technique and flair, able to hold onto the ball, link up well, and also score occassionally. Thats not Dyer, who despite being a good link man puts too much pressure on goals coming from the lone striker or elsewhere. We need a Gudjohnsen or Tevez type.

2) Its also pretty damn blatant that we have no ability on the ball without Dyer or Emre where it matters most - in the middle. The impact these two players make to our style of play just puts our others "footballers" to shame, we're clueless without them. Butt, Milner, Zog, Duff, Parker, all good at different aspects of the game, but none of them have the ability to hold onto the ball and dictate play like Dyer and Emre can. Dyer has proven to be an utter crock, and the same for Emre albeit to a lesser extent - we need at least one more technically good footballer in the squad, with Nobby now being a defender.

3) The Butt Parker central midfield needs to be put down like a badly wounded horse. Absolutely no on-the-ball presence in that partnership, both players are strong defensive players but poor going forward, and when playing together they become clueless, getting in each others' way. The Liverpool game was a one off because it was a game in which they had to defend, today we needed to attack and pass the ball around and as a partnership there were simply inadequate. Sidwell HAS to be brought in next summer, his passing and drive is alot stronger than either of these players, and one of Parker or Butt has to make way for him. My vote goes with shunting Butt out, which is harsh but imo it needs to be done purely because of his age (33 next Jan), as well as the fact that in current form, wed almost certainly get a few interested parties willing to purchase him, when a year later we most likely wont have that option.

Guest Bellers

I understand why he rested Milner and had we won today no one would even mention it, Milner was fkn shatterd and well deserved a rest. Yes he could have rested him on Thursday but if we had been beaten (long shot I know) everyone would have been doing their nutt and it would have been "why rest Milner now, you can rest him against Wigan".

The fact is we were beaten today. There is no way we would have lost that game on Thursday, we could have probably stuck the kids out and got a result, it would have made fair more sense to rest players then.

Roeder has cocked up and people are far to determined to defend him rather than just admit on this occassion he got it wrong.

Roeder was 100% responsible for todays defeat. Piss poor selection -

The selection was pretty much correct for today's game. He couldn't have done a huge amount differently tbh. The thing he did wrong was start Milner the other night.

ZERO motivation.

And you know this how??? We're you in the dressing rooms? It's half the players' job to motivate themselves. Why should he have to do it all?

You're defending somebody who is beyond defence, his selection was wrong and he clearly is not motivating the players, that is plain to see from our displays against teams thought to be below us, lesser teams.

Why should he have to do it?

It's his job, the job of every manager in every walk of life to make sure they get the right people for the job and to get the best out of them, motivation is a massive part of that, Roeder is not doing it.

Didn't see the game, but the people that are on about "UEFA Cup qualification out of our hands now, etc etc" are talking nonsense tbh. The truth is, it was never really in our hands.

And, when you look at it, it's still only one result. Our run isn't as difficult than one or two others around us. Again, i have to re-iterate, i didn't see the game. I'm sure that it was a crap performance, something we've seen before*, and it certainly does highlight our inconsistency - but i'm not going to go slitting my wrists over this one. Wigan are fighting for their lives and they would have been desperate for a result after the Charlton/West Ham debarcle. And we've got a monumentally shit record there anyway, with key players out.

I'm not saying that the people slating Roeder are knee-jerk, because he does make the same mistakes over again - but i'm not entirely sure he made them today. You simply cannot dictate what went on in the dressing room at half time because you weren't there - but if Roeder wasn't in there rallying his troops after they've gone in undeservedly 1-0 down, i'll be gobsmacked. We don't know what was said though, so we can't make facts about it.

Plus, you cannot say that he didn't try to change things this time - because he did. He brought on Milner and N'Zogbia with a significant amount of time left to play.

The only major mistake he made for me, was starting Milner against Zulte in the second leg. That was the totally stupid decision. He was obviously shattered, you could see that from his two performances, and the game effectively meant nothing. It's just a crazy, crazy situation when you see that he's started him in that game, and rested him for this one - the crucial one.

Of course, by today, he had no option but to rest Milner and his line-up was pretty much spot on in that respect. But he should never have forced himself into that situation in the first place.

So, like i say - i'm not stating that people are knee-jerk, because we all know Roeder's weaknesses, but i'm just saying that they're a little bit fickle. We beat Liverpool, Villa, etc, picking up a really good run - one concerning defeat and it's all 'Roeder out' again.

*And tended to pick up from...

The was at the heart of the problem. Solano slotting in at RB where he has been very good apart from iirc one match.  I don't like to see us playing two def non-creative mf either.

we lacked a door opener in the middle today.

parker and butt are too similar, and butt is better imo.

parker seems to have been pigeon holed as a defensive mid, and he seems to agree with it, and thats all he is now. he offers absoloutely nothing going forward.

with eme almost sure to be out of the door iun the summer, i hope we sign a 'door opener', as we dont have one at the moment

It wasn't just through the middle, it was also on the wings, I would have started both Milner and N'Zogbia and then made changes if necessary.  Duff might have done better playing against knackered players rather than fresh players at the start.

Roeder is beyond defence, again.

He picked a better first 11 on Thursday in a game which was all but won, even if we lost the home game we were never going to go down by more than 1 goal.  He played Milner on Thursday then dropped him today to give him a rest, personally I think "the rest" was an excuse to drop him.  If he was needing a rest then any manager worth that title would have rested him on Thursday, I'd love to see somebody try to defend that decision.

Roeder didn't have the balls to drop a senior player so he shuffled the pack to get the three central defenders in, he does the same to accommodate Carr, he's a joke of a manager.

The players should be motivated, self motivated, we all know life isn't that simple, sometimes it's the job of the manager, in this respect, I've yet so see any evidence that Roeder has done that this season.  The players we have on the pitch should be good enough to beat Wigan, Sheffield United, Charlton, Fulham and Birmingham 9 times out of 10, it's the managers job to make sure this happens, it's his job to make sure the players are up for it and that they are the best players at his disposal in every position, he doesn't do that and I think it's because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing and that assessment isn't knee-jerk, I've not changed my position on him since he was appointed.

I hoped I was wrong but so far it looks like I was right.

You don’t fail as often as him at previous clubs if you’re good at your job.

Roeder isn’t good enough, that isn’t going to change.

I don’t really blame people for defending him, we all want things to go well, the trouble is that by defending him you’re accepting the shite that was produced today and nobody should accept that today was good enough.  It wasn’t even a one-off it was typical of Newcastle this season and I think it’s going to be typical for as long as Roeder is manager.  If the players need some help from the management then they are in trouble because the management isn’t up to the job.

Good post.

I defended Roeder this time as I do not think it was all his fault today, I am not happy at all with the utter s**** performances we are seeing, even in the last few games we  have won we were very very lucky indeed and had to hang on for dear life. We have not played well as a team for a long long time. We see individual players giving their all and others do not seem to care, but the one thing we do not see is them sticking together and getting stuck in as a team, Parker flies into a tackle the rest don't think "yeah come on lads lets have a go" its more of a case and stand back and admire Parkers skill then carry on as usual, there is not one of them out on that pitch getting vocal and trying to get the lads going. That job is not just down to the Captain anyone can shout and try gee'ing up his team mates.

Say Dyer gets the ball deep and bursts out pushimg through the middle, how many burst a gutt to get up and support the play? not many they just stand and look willing Dyer on. Its all left up to eachother rather than taking charge themselves.

Lets just hope the return of Owen brings some belief back to the squad fk knows we need it.

Milner had played 41 games and needed a rest, Glenn could have rested him on Thursday but did not want to tkae any risks in the last cup we are in.

I can understand resting him, I suppose he may of played Dyer wide right if he had not been ill.

We had a 2 away goal lead against part timers, does Roeder not have faith in the teams he puts out?

He could have put players on the bench on Thursday as insurance in case something went wrong, he didn't have to start players who needed a rest.

1) Todays game proved that if we get a big man in next season, we're f*****. Expect tons of long balls and s*** performances like we had today. Just look at how downhill Martins' game went when we reverted to route 1 in the second half, and itll be alot worse if Owen is playing because he sure as hell doesnt benefit from donkey football. Please, Roeder, move on and give up this obsession with an aerial replacement for Shearer, we dont need a big lump of a forward to score from headers as Martins has a massive leap with the ability to head well and Owen is deadly with headers. What we badly need is a creative playmaker up front, a replacement for Beardo, able to create using skill, technique and flair, able to hold onto the ball, link up well, and also score occassionally. Thats not Dyer, who despite being a good link man puts too much pressure on goals coming from the lone striker or elsewhere. We need a Gudjohnsen or Tevez type.

2) Its also pretty damn blatant that we have no ability on the ball without Dyer or Emre where it matters most - in the middle. The impact these two players make to our style of play just puts our others "footballers" to shame, we're clueless without them. Butt, Milner, Zog, Duff, Parker, all good at different aspects of the game, but none of them have the ability to hold onto the ball and dictate play like Dyer and Emre can. Dyer has proven to be an utter crock, and the same for Emre albeit to a lesser extent - we need at least one more technically good footballer in the squad, with Nobby now being a defender.

3) The Butt Parker central midfield needs to be put down like a badly wounded horse. Absolutely no on-the-ball presence in that partnership, both players are strong defensive players but poor going forward, and when playing together they become clueless, getting in each others' way. The Liverpool game was a one off because it was a game in which they had to defend, today we needed to attack and pass the ball around and as a partnership there were simply inadequate. Sidwell HAS to be brought in next summer, his passing and drive is alot stronger than either of these players, and one of Parker or Butt has to make way for him. My vote goes with shunting Butt out, which is harsh but imo it needs to be done purely because of his age (33 next Jan), as well as the fact that in current form, wed almost certainly get a few interested parties willing to purchase him, when a year later we most likely wont have that option.

Yes...Yes and Yes. :)

Guest andynufc84

I've backed Glenn Roeder in the past but I think he got it wrong today, as did the players obviously.

The fact is the midfield performed very poorly, there is no creative spark from Butt and Parker, none at all. It was just all so

predictable today, hopeful before the game and totally dumbfounded at the end of it.

He picked a better first 11 on Thursday in a game which was all but won, even if we lost the home game we were never going to go down by more than 1 goal.  He played Milner on Thursday then dropped him today to give him a rest, personally I think "the rest" was an excuse to drop him.  If he was needing a rest then any manager worth that title would have rested him on Thursday, I'd love to see somebody try to defend that decision.

Roeder didn't have the balls to drop a senior player so he shuffled the pack to get the three central defenders in, he does the same to accommodate Carr, he's a joke of a manager.

The players should be motivated, self motivated, we all know life isn't that simple, sometimes it's the job of the manager, in this respect, I've yet so see any evidence that Roeder has done that this season.  The players we have on the pitch should be good enough to beat Wigan, Sheffield United, Charlton, Fulham and Birmingham 9 times out of 10, it's the managers job to make sure this happens, it's his job to make sure the players are up for it and that they are the best players at his disposal in every position, he doesn't do that and I think it's because he doesn't have a clue what he's doing and that assessment isn't knee-jerk, I've not changed my position on him since he was appointed.

You don?t fail as often as him at previous clubs if you?re good at your job.

Roeder isn?t good enough, that isn?t going to change.

I don?t really blame people for defending him, we all want things to go well, the trouble is that by defending him you?re accepting the shite that was produced today and nobody should accept that today was good enough.  It wasn?t even a one-off it was typical of Newcastle this season and I think it?s going to be typical for as long as Roeder is manager.  If the players need some help from the management then they are in trouble because the management isn?t up to the job.

Good post.

Roeder is very average that must be clear to all surely?

Well, at least we're taking from the rich and giving to the poor.

We'll put up a good fight against Manure or 'Pool, but we're too darn good-hearted to take points off relegation zone teams.

That's right, we're NUFC, the Robin Hood of the Premiership!  :buck2:

At least it fuks West Ham over.

About the only positive from that result.

GR needs a shake, as do the team, and certainly the board for spending fuk all.

LOL

:rolleyes:

do you want to tell him how much the club has spent over the years, especially under Souness ? Or should someone else ?

absolutely correct. Some of us have been saying for months our ball retention is poor and sloppy, and is causing us to lose possession too easily, but been told we need a defender .......

Correct again, for the same reason as above. I would prefer Butt to Parker at the moment though, although his age is relevant.

I defended Roeder this time as I do not think it was all his fault today, I am not happy at all with the utter s**** performances we are seeing, even in the last few games we  have won we were very very lucky indeed and had to hang on for dear life. We have not played well as a team for a long long time. We see individual players giving their all and others do not seem to care, but the one thing we do not see is them sticking together and getting stuck in as a team, Parker flies into a tackle the rest don't think "yeah come on lads lets have a go" its more of a case and stand back and admire Parkers skill then carry on as usual, there is not one of them out on that pitch getting vocal and trying to get the lads going. That job is not just down to the Captain anyone can shout and try gee'ing up his team mates.

Say Dyer gets the ball deep and bursts out pushimg through the middle, how many burst a gutt to get up and support the play? not many they just stand and look willing Dyer on. Its all left up to eachother rather than taking charge themselves.

Lets just hope the return of Owen brings some belief back to the squad fk knows we need it.

Skirge,

Today wasn't a one off, it was par for the course.

It is the job of the manager to make sure we play with our strongest 11 whenever possible and that these 11 players are comfortable with what they are asked to do.  They should play as a team, they did this for a few games when down to the bones and young kids had something to prove and ran themselves into the ground for each other.

If this lot are playing for Roeder then God help us when they have an off-day against a team who really go out to win.

It was only weeks ago that Roeder tried something similar to what he did today and it didn't work yet he's done the same thing and we got beat.  You would think that he might remember something that was only a matter of weeks ago.

Guest TheOrder

Just got back. What a fucking disgrace that place is. Tin-pot stadium, a fucking mascot, cheerleaders, music after goals, music during the game, small crowd, crowd full of charvers and kids.

How on earth Wigan Athletic are in this leauge, never mind beating us, I'll never know.

Oh I do know, we're shit.

But I'd rather be shit than have a club and fanbase like those bunch of cunts(including Boro, Bolton etc)

Howay the lads.

You don?t fail as often as him at previous clubs if you?re good at your job.

Roeder isn?t good enough, that isn?t going to change.

I don?t really blame people for defending him, we all want things to go well, the trouble is that by defending him you?re accepting the shite that was produced today and nobody should accept that today was good enough.  It wasn?t even a one-off it was typical of Newcastle this season and I think it?s going to be typical for as long as Roeder is manager.  If the players need some help from the management then they are in trouble because the management isn?t up to the job.

Good post.

Roeder is very average that must be clear to all surely?

You'd think so wouldn't you.

Considering his past efforts he had an awful lot to prove as soon as he walked into the job (which is not a great starting point for any manager), but that was Shepherds decision sadly. He has had the odd triumph but throughout he has remained far from convincing that he is the right man for the job, and without any pedigree, it is hard to have any faith that he ever can.

It would be lovely to think that Roeder can suddenly spark us back into life (fingers crossed and all that), but when he makes the same mistakes and spouts the same nonsense week in week out, well.....  :buck2:

Skirge,

It is the job of the manager to make sure we play with our strongest 11 whenever possible and that these 11 players are comfortable with what they are asked to do.  They should play as a team, they did this for a few games when down to the bones and young kids had something to prove and ran themselves into the ground for each other.

If this lot are playing for Roeder then God help us when they have an off-day against a team who really go out to win.

It was only weeks ago that Roeder tried something similar to what he did today and it didn't work yet he's done the same thing and we got beat.  You would think that he might remember something that was only a matter of weeks ago.

The thing is I don't think dropping Milner today was the problem, it was not like we were over ran and got murderd. We lost to a soft free-kick that produced a great finish. Could we have had a man on the post? well yes we could have but it looked like Shay did not want it.

I honestly think Milner playing would have not changed the outcome, he has been over used and is worn out. Dyer was the big miss today and that was not Roeders fault he was out.

Look I do not think Glenn is the right man for the job but he has it and we have to back him, his team let him down today and we all have to live it.

The fact is that the club care more about the EUFA cup right now than they do the league.

I will take mid table finish and a cup right now, gimme the Glory!!

Roeder will be here at the end of the season and probably still be here next season, Fred is hoping to save money and cling onto Glenn until Shearer is ready to take over. We are stuck with it lads and I am no longer going to kill myslef with worry on how we are going to do.

Guest andynufc84

Skirge,

The thing is I don't think dropping Milner today was the problem, it was not like we were over ran and got murderd. We lost to a soft free-kick that produced a great finish. Could we have had a man on the post? well yes we could have but it looked like Shay did not want it.

I honestly think Milner playing would have not changed the outcome, he has been over used and is worn out. Dyer was the big miss today and that was not Roeders fault he was out.

Look I do not think Glenn is the right man for the job but he has it and we have to back him, his team let him down today and we all have to live it.

The fact is that the club care more about the EUFA cup right now than they do the league.

Roeder will be here at the end of the season and probably still be here next season, Fred is hoping to save money and cling onto Glenn until Shearer is ready to take over. We are stuck with it lads and I am no longer going to kill myslef with worry on how we are going to do.

Don't think we'll win the UEFA cup sadly

We're bound to be undone when we come against some quality opposition. Don't think we have the quality in the centre of the park or at the back to deal with the better technical sides.

Wasn't at the game today but am not surprised at the result. We are lurching along and sometimes scraping results. I can't remember the last time we gave another team a f**king good working over . Certainly not for a few seasons. What depresses me is the Roeder lovers who seem to be ready to accept midtable mediocrity as that is all that manager will give us at best. He is hopeless and if he is still there next season we will be getting the same up and down performances and becoming even more frustrated. And by the way I have been consistent with my views whether we win luckily or get deservedly beaten. I just wish Gormless Glen would do the decent thing and go, as it does not look as if he will be sacked. Also there is no point doing anything about him now but please let's not have him there come May.

Anyone defending Roeder should stop, take a deep breath and then study today's teamsheet. It was a joke.

I don't slag off kids lightly (and I know there are problems all over the park) but Huntington is NOT a Premiership defender. Not at left-back, not at centre-back. Never will be.

Dyer not playing probably wasn't the fault of Roeder but it's funny how his sore leg has now become flu, he could have been rested on Thursday, the same as Milner could have if needed.

We missed Dyer but could have made up for that by having N'Zogbia and Milner playing on the wings, N'Zogbia must have been fit or he shouldn't have been on the bench, if he's fit then he should have started.

These two players would have provided something that we didn't have without them, pace in the build up and a bit of flair needed to change a game.

We'll not win a cup this year, of that I'm sure, we're not good enough.  I don't think we'll get past the next round so it's very dangerous staking our whole season on the UEFA, our season will probably be over during March, I'd love to be proven wrong but don't expect it.

As for supporting Roeder just because he's the manager, no thanks, I was told the same about Souness.  I don't want him sacked because I know we'll not get anybody better, that doesn't mean I have to support him when he gets things so wrong so often.

Anyone defending Roeder should stop, take a deep breath and then study today's teamsheet. It was a joke.

I don't slag off kids lightly (and I know there are problems all over the park) but Huntington is NOT a Premiership defender. Not at left-back, not at centre-back. Never will be.

Edgar would have been a much better choice to play on the left.

Zoggy may have been fit but match sharp, nowhere near. He should not have started Zoggy but after seeing Duffs performance I would have started Zoggy in th 2nd half.

Its all ifs and buts though, we lost and now we have an even more important game against the Smoggies, it should see a full house and good noise.

Edgar would have been a much better choice to play on the left.

Agree'd out of all the players he has played at LB, Edgar has looked the best and against Man U, he played really well and scored a belta.