Disillusioned with football

ElDiablo

Guest Knightrider

I think we've all been there where Newcastle is concerned and again I think exposure has a lot to do with it, you can't escape NUFC matters if you live in the City as the club does really dominate things whether it be the local paper, radio talk ins or work chat and it can be quite overbearing at times which is why these days I tend to detatch myself from NUFC issues if I can help it. Ironically this forum is a good release, despite being all about NUFC. I find anyway. I also think too many people allow NUFC and indeed the game to rule their life, and I was like that a few years back. Now NUFC comes a remote third in my life and not number one as it often did. Getting older has helped too, I no longer suffer defeats or get wild with wins.

And those who think they know the players personally?

Personally, i'm a bit disillusioned with it myself. Well, i still love football. Its SJP. No, it's not, it's the pies. They've been visibly going downhill for the past 4 or 5 seasons. Its getting to the point now where i hardly even look forward to my half time pie. Depressing.

Some folk must think they're better than Greggs judging by the amount who start queuing up for them 5 mins before half-time ends!!

Nah, they're just NEARER than Greggs.

lazy bastards....nae wonder we've got fat fans

You can't get to Greggs and back in the time between halves. Not that i've tried. I'm too busy drinking THE COLDEST BEER IN THE WORLD. I have this inner fear that one day i'll drink the coldest beer EVER, then scran my too hot pie, and something inside my stomach will break.

I think for some of the youngers fans - it's hard for them to empathise with us older lads who watched football before it became 'fasionable'. (My first toon game was in 81/82 aged 9). They've probably never stood on terraces, in god awful weather, watching not that fantastic football (in the main) - but feeling part of something that isn't there today. Football has removed itself from the fans - no doubt at all.

In the end - it will come back to bite them on the arse. Perhaps that is already starting to happen now ?

I think for some of the youngers fans - it's hard for them to empathise with us older lads who watched football before it became 'fasionable'. (My first toon game was in 81/82 aged 9). They've probably never stood on terraces, in god awful weather, watching not that fantastic football (in the main) - but feeling part of something that isn't there today. Football has removed itself from the fans - no doubt at all.

In the end - it will come back to bite them on the arse. Perhaps that is already starting to happen now ?

First game aged 9 in 81/2?? Old get. (82/3, aged 8 for me).

I don't think football is going to fail, though - its just evolving. In the same way it had from the pre-war times to when WE first went. The rate of change may have accelerated, but thats the case everywhere, not just football.

Why are snipers Japanese? :p

Asking for terraces back is just feels like pointless nostalgia to me. All-seaters are increasingly becoming the norm for top-flight leagues across the world these days, and I highly doubt that bringing back terraces will drag down ticket prices low enough that people who aern't well enough to come now would be able to then. I highly doubt they'd price a terrace spot at SJP at five quid.

As for the whole money issue, it's called capitalism. It's simply an inescapable fact of the society we live in that the richer will fare better, and ultimately, the end result is a better final product. Just look at American sports, all their drafts and salary caps have hardly made their games any less materialistic.

I'm fine with today's football. I just wish we'd win more :(

One thing that does bother me is that people always refer to standing in 's*** weather' like it doesn't rain any more. :lol:

:coolsmiley:

It might rain still but the roof covering all sides of the ground hasn't been in place for that long.

One thing that does bother me is that people always refer to standing in 's*** weather' like it doesn't rain any more. :lol:

:coolsmiley:

It might rain still but the roof covering all sides of the ground hasn't been in place for that long.

Try sitting in the front row of the Gallowgate, mate. Roof doesn't extend as far as my seat.