Pick 2 best English defenders On Current Form

Delima
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamie Carragher is over-rated. He's just a bruiser. The only reason that wasn't horribly exposed last night was because Liverpool defended and attacked as a team for most of the 90 yesterday. Woodgate, Ferdinand and Terry are on a different level to him.

What about Bramble?! :laugh:

No, no, you were right... Newcastle should be ashamed of themselves for not having bought Woodgate, Ferdinand and Terry " :laugh: "

I never said we should be getting the likes of them.

Oh, I know. You didn't come up with any names when I asked you. :)

I just thought we were having a contest to see who could put the most fallacious words into the other's mouth.

In any case, we've done this before, watch this will-power:

Did you know that Liverpool have only conceded 20 goals in the 27 games that Carragher played in?

Impressive, huh? ;)

Edit: Sorry.....19. :D

Carragher is far too over-rated, he is very good at defending - when team is organised.  when 'pool are chasing the game and more open, often gets raped.  Slightly below the level of the top defenders. 

Guest Knightrider

The Guardian

Is Jamie Carragher England's best defender?

No matter how many times the Liverpool centre-half repels Europe's finest, he stays firmly in John Terry's shadow.

Rob Smyth

March 7, 2007 11:05 AM

Jamie Carragher is the supporting actor who keeps stealing the film. And yet the Academy refuses to acknowledge him in an appropriate fashion. No matter how many times Carragher defies the world's greatest attackers, the praise he receives remains resolutely patronising and faint - as if the only reason he excels is because Liverpool's defensive nature means he is given a showy role as the backs-to-the-wall hero.

If it was that easy, everybody would be doing it. All evidence gathered over the last three seasons of the Champions League, football's most relevant genre, suggests that Carragher is a defender of the truest substance. Paradoxically, he is one of the best defenders in Europe and yet only the fourth-best in England, behind John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Jonathan Woodgate (or, before him, Sol Campbell). Carragher has always lurked in the shadow of Terry, apparently the Stuart MacGill to his Shane Warne; even in 2005, when he inspired Liverpool to the Champions League, it was Terry who was won Uefa's Best Defender award. Yet his performances against the very best sides have been of a consistently higher standard.

Terry was poor at Euro 2004, modest at last year's World Cup and, while Carragher is neither in credit or debit internationally due to lack of exposure, his performances have been more three-dimensional, more sentient, in Europe: Terry, so happy taking up his position at the front post and heading balls away all day in the Premiership, has been given the runaround on more than one occasion, particularly by Barcelona, and even famously lost a battle of strength with Ronaldinh :oo at the Nou Camp in Chelsea's aggregate defeat a year ago.

Last night, Carragher won the battle of strength - physical and mental - so emphatically that he had broken the will of the world's best attacking unit inside the game's first quarter. He does not have pace, but then nor does Terry, and his combination of sixth sense (there is a reason he makes so many last-ditch challenges, and it's not only because he's slow), psychological resolution, furious concentration acute tactical awareness and - yes - backs-to-the-wall heroism make him a truly formidable opponent.

Indeed, given the concentration lapses which continue to compromise the superior talents of Rio Ferdinand, there is an increasingly compelling argument that, at the very, very highest level, Carragher might just be the best English defender around. But the cognoscenti - and the England management - are unlikely to ever recognise him as such.

Couldn't agree more and I have been saying this about Carragher for a while now, who is for me the best defender in the country and one of the best in the world and by defender I don't mean as in the best player to play at CB, but the best CB at defending. He is the best at marking space, man, ball, tackling, heading and clearing or intercepting, he rarely wastes a ball out from the back, reads the game so well and is as brave as they come, massively underrated for me and a top top player. He doesn't get the headlines others do because he isn't a "cultured" defender ala Ferdinand or goes about screaming and bawling, heading boots, ala Terry. He's better at defending than either of them though and has proven it at CL level whereas Terry doesn't convince and Ferdinand sometimes goes missing, although at international level RF has proven himself. Terry thrives on the hurly burly of the Premiership and wins his battles because he's brave, a good leader and competitive, he's also very strong, but up against technically gifted players, players with a brain, he struggles a bit and isn't as good a reader of the game as Carragher.

Terry likes to attack things, whether it be the ball or man, that's a sign of someone who isn't the best at reading the game and knows it, preferring to meat danger or threats head on, whereas the likes of Carragher and Woodgate, both exceptional readers of the game, drop off and mop up a lot, preferring to cut out danger before it arises or sweeps up others' mistakes by reading play.

In fact if anyone is overrated at this level/postition it is Terry. I'd rather have Carragher if I'm being honest with myself, when I think about it.

I've yet to see him have a really bad game for 4-5 years now, at all levels and against a whole host of top players. Fantastic player and by all accounts a top bloke too. He has came on in leaps and bounds over the years and is a fantastic role model for any defender with limited ability.

Guest kingdawson

I am just jumping on the recent Spurs teasing bandwagon ;) Hopefully no one voted for him.

For the record I don't rate Dawson, thought Lescott is a better player.

Thought you were just listing the regular England international centre backs. My mistake.

I am just jumping on the recent Spurs teasing bandwagon ;) Hopefully no one voted for him.

For the record I don't rate Dawson, thought Lescott is a better player.

Thought you were just listing the regular England international squad centre backs. My mistake.