Under 18s, 1pm, SJP

abcdefg

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~994041,00.html

TEAM NEWS

UNITED start with Andy Carroll and Ryan Donaldson in attack for the semi-final clash with Liverpool at St.James' Park.

Carroll has found the net 10 times from just eight starts for the Juniors this term, while strike partner Donaldson has nine goals to his name.

Kazenga LuaLua, cousin of former Magpie Lomana, starts on the left-wing for Kenny Wharton's side, with Gosforth-born speed-demon Jonny Godsmark on the other flank.

Guest smoggeordie

Superb attacking performance. Shocking defensively. Their 4th was comical.

On the plus side, Carroll was immense, lualua looked good and Godsmark was superb down the right.

Guest Geordiesned

Superb attacking performance. Shocking defensively. Their 4th was comical.

On the plus side, Carroll was immense, lualua looked good and Godsmark was superb down the right.

I liked the look of Godsmark. Great first touch and a bit of pace.

Who was the Toon's right back (number2)? He was woeful! I wasn't very impressed with our keeper either as he couldn't handle back passes.

The organisation by the Toon was fucking inept. Hundreds of people were still outside at kick off with only 3 turnstiles open! Eventually one of the two coppers on duty informed us that they were opening one of the exit gates for people with the correct money to get in. No sooner had we joined that queue then the steward fucking closed it!! Loads of people then started running up towards the Leazes end of the East Stand where another gate had been opened and a steward with a bit of common sense was just letting everyone get in for nowt.

All in all though, a shambles by the Toon yet again. This lot couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery! Only one food kiosk open as well despite the stand being full.

Guest Geordiesned

From nufc.co.uk;

NEWCASTLE United Under-18s went down to a 4-2 defeat in the first leg of their FA Youth Cup semi-final as 5,006 Geordies turned out to support the young Magpies.

Well that figure's clearly made up as a lot of people went in through the exit gates not the turnstiles.

Guest anthony118

Number 2 was Ross Cowan. The back 5 looked fairly shaky all game - you could see the short header back for Liverpool's 4th coming. Godsmark was superb, and I thought Callum Morris in the middle of midfield had a good game as well. Kazenga looked bright but spent too much time running round in circles.

Still, it's not over yet....

It seems there were loads of free tickets went to schools. Cheers to the bloke who saved me 3 quid with one. Loads of kids of course, so a bit of a pantomime atmosphere, and I'm sure I heard a load of 7 and 8 year olds chanting 'fuck the reds', which was funny.

As has been mentioned, poor defence, and frankly the Liverpool youth look far more like a team. Far from terrible though, just beaten by a better team.

Guest king harry

YOUNG REDS HALFWAY TO THE FINAL

Liverpool under-18s are halfway to the Youth Cup final after an action-packed first-leg victory over Newcastle United at St James's Park on Saturday.

The holders, who beat Man City in a dramatic final last time around, travel back to Merseyside with a 4-2 lead thanks to goals from Ryan Flynn, Charlie Barnett and Craig Lindfield.

Steve Heighway's side know from experience not to take anything for granted, but they'll go into the second leg at Anfield a week on Monday as favourites to face either Manchester United or Arsenal in the final.

The visitors stated their intentions from the off, dominating the opening exchanges and creating the first chance almost before the watching Peter Beardsley had taken his seat. Unfortunately 16-year-old Swede Astrit Ajdarevic was unable to direct a six-yard header under the bar. Still, it boded well.

Minutes later Magpies keeper Mark Cook was forced into a decent save when a Jimmy Ryan cross from the right swerved towards his top corner.

Shortly after a whipped in cross by Jimmy Ryan was met by the head of Craig Lindfield. This time the ball hit the hoardings.

Anyone who watched Newcastle's midweek UEFA Cup tie with Az Alkmaar wouldn't have anticipated any sort of crowd for this Youth Cup tie, but a good few thousand Geordies came out to support their boys on this Saturday lunchtime.

They had to wait almost 20 minutes for their side's first shot on goal, Kazenga Lualua drilling a 20-yard shot well wide. Newcastle officials were unable to confirm what relation he was to Lomana, but his cousin/brother/uncle would not have been proud.

Whatever, on 24 minutes Charlie Barnett gave him a shooting lesson when he crashed a stunning 30-yard drive into the bottom left-hand corner of Cook's net. The young Reds have scored some cracking goals en route to the semis - this was up there with the best.

One nil down and struggling to carve out any real chances, the hosts were reduced to long shots from the lively Lualua.

Whenever they did threaten during the first half, Burns, Spearing, Threlfall and Darby were on hand to clear away the danger. Behind them, Danish keeper Martin Hansen punched, caught and commanded with a composure which belied his 16 years.

Mind, he nearly came a cropper when a Stephen Darby back-header floated feet above his head. Luckily it bounced narrowly wide.

Liverpool's second came five minutes before the break when hot prospect Ajdarevic chipped a lovely through-ball to Lindfield, whose goal owed as much to the intelligence of his run as the coolness of his finish.

The Youth Cup veteran used all his experience to evade the offside trap and get himself one-on-one, then slotted neatly into the bottom left-hand corner of Cook's net.

The second half began more promisingly for the hosts, who nearly pulled one back just after the restart when Lualua burst through the Red defence. Hansen's save rolled dangerously through the box but Ryan Donaldson hit wide in front of an open goal.

However, 15 minutes into the half Liverpool, without the suspended Ray Putterill, got their third. It came when Cook parried a Charlie Barnett stinger from the D and Ryan Flynn tucked home from two yards.

To their credit Newcastle didn't let their heads down and pulled one back almost immediately when Andy Carroll nodded a high free-kick beyond the oncoming Hansen. Game back on.

And what a game it was turning out to be. On 68 minutes the Reds made it four thanks to a defensive lapse which put Ryan Flynn through on goal. Cook knew what was coming next but was lame to respond to a fine lob which bounced satisfyingly into the hosts' net.

The holders' cup campaign has attracted ever-increasing numbers of journalists as the rounds have progressed, and the hacks had barely added a full-stop to Liverpool's fourth when the plucky Newcastle boys pulled another back.

There was a hint of an own goal when a curling free-kick was diverted into Hansen's net, but the stadium announcer credited striker Andy Carroll and no one in the Liverpool dressing room will complain at that.

Liverpoolfc.tv man of the match: Ryan Flynn.

Attendance: 4,006

Martin Hansen, Stephen Darby, Michael Burns, Jay Spearing (capt), Robbie Threlfall, Charlie Barnett, Jimmy Ryan, Ryan Flynn, Craig Lindfield, Nathan Eccleston, Astrit Ajdarevic.

Guest TheOrder

I wouldn't say Liverpool actually played better than us, they just finished better than us. We had loads of chances that went begging, just needed a cool head in the box.

My mate Cav had a good game, proper midfield battler. Always rated Godsmark, and he didnt let me down today. Lualua is special, but tired early on in the second half.

The difference between the two sides today, were our defence, and our goalkeeper. I've never rated our academy goalkeepers apart from Krul, Cook is below average and Forster more so. If we had the likes of last years academy back four there today, and Tim Krul, we would of strolled it.

Anyway, the slappers that went to the game today, who were from Newcastle, but chose to support Liverpool, should've been all drowned at birth.

Guest toonbaz

i liked the look of godsmark down the right also, lualua had a decent second half, thought they looked so much better than us first half, but we played a lot better in the second.

i got in for nowt through the exit gate so no idea how they calculate attendance, was a good turnout though. how many does the east stand hold?