Chelski after Taylor

Skirge

Taylor isn't brilliant, especially at set pieces, and I dont think we could bring him on any further. Bramble is better.

Why do you think that? Why can't we bring him on any further? He's 21 for crying out loud and has already shown a lot of potential. Bramble, on the other hand, will always be Bramble.

I seriously hope i'm gonna get whooshed here, but i swear you're mixing Taylor up with Ramage.

Taylor loses his man rather alot due to ball watching, and doesn't seem to be able to sort it out. That is why we have signed Gooch, and why we are playing him alongside Bramble.

taylor would, should and must be number one choice CB once we get full backs worthy of the shirt, anything less and we deserve everything we get

name me a better prospect, ENGLISH prospect, for his position at his age...please

Curtis Davies, Micah Richards (whose natural position is centre back) right now, and David Edgar will be better by the time he reaches Taylor's age (yes, I know he is Canadian, but I dont get all this English s***). Another centre back that is better is Daniel Agger.

Taylor is a good 6th to 16th placed club Premiership defender, but no more, and right now, he is only the third best centre back at the club if you look at both current ability and how the players gel together as a unit. At £7.5m+ we could buy an improvement on him.

a) curtis davies has never played consistently and therefore been proven at the highest level

b) micah richards is 3 years younger than him and to my knowledge has played primarily at right back and is actually considered a long term prospect for defensive midfield

c) edgar has played a handfull of games and looks a good prospect agreed, but you can hardly suggest he's currently to be considered a better prospect than taylor

d) agger is obviously not english, but is decent, agreed....albeit even he hasn't convinced for liverpool if you talk to their fans and this is his first full season at the club, a long way to go then....

e) who could we buy for 7.5m, at the same age, who is PROVEN to be better than him then?

a) Davies consistently played well in the Premiership last season in a side that got relegated, and still plays consistently for the U21s. He also plays more U21 games than Taylor.

b) Richards is versatile enough to play in many positions, but he will be a great player whereever he plays, so that makes him a better centre back.

c) During his short stint at centre back, Edgar looked more composed and better in the air than Taylor ever has

d) Agger has displaced Hyypia, and fans now like him afterhe had had a dissappointing start to his Liverpool career. Given Liverpool's good defensive record, he  must be doing quite well.

e) Age is irrelevant. Taylor is unlikely to get much better. Players do not significantly improve while at Newcastle United. I'm sure there are over 20 centre backs with more current ability than Taylor who would cost less than the bid I would accept from Chelsea. Taylor is a good player, but he is replaceable. Curtis Davies is one example of a same age player proven to be better.

All just talk though, as there is no way that Chelsea are interested. Taylor is good, but not that good.

Davies doesn't play more U21 games than Taylor, he has 3 caps Taylor has 14(and 3 goals). The last time Davies played he looked like Bramlbe at his worst, did you see the Spain game? It was a disaster for him.

More caps perhaps, but that is because Taylor emerged a couple of years before Davies.

Davies has been around for longer, Taylor has around 50 appearances for us whereas Davies has 62 for West Brom and 56 for Luton. Also he had a full season of football in the premiership, something which Taylor is only getting this season.

Taylor has played 70 games, about two games in three since January 2005 which was the time he emerged, and remember that he spent time out injured last season. Thus, Taylor had emerged in top flight football long before Davies did.

Again, sentiment seems to come ahead of realism.

Also, in answer to Mrmojonson's question regarding how many top level European games has Davies played in, you cant really say that Taylor has played in any top level european games either, or at least he hasn't played any team better than Chelsea, Manyoo, Liverpool or Arsenal. Therefore, both Davies and taylor have played against the same high standard opposition.

a) no-one mentioned "top level" european competition, merely european...so how many has davies played in and proven himself to be good enough to play against the likes of PSV, Fenerbache, Sporting Lisbon or whoever Taylor has played against in the last 2 and a bit years?

by the way i'm not saying davies is better or worse than taylor, i've barely seen davies play - i'm simply questioning your utter conviction he's better than taylor

b) oh and by the way would you sign davies for 8m if we sold taylor for 12m for example?  'cause davies wouldn't get any better at NUFC remember...

a) Taylor has played against Lillestrom, Ventspils, Levadia, Palermo, Fenerbache, Frankfurt, Celta Vigo, Waregem and Alkmaar. He may have played in a couple of others, but no real big European games, as this is his first real European campaign. Hardly a great experience to put him above Davies. Bolton, Everton, Spurs are better than all of these teams, and Davies has played against them too and proven himself.

b) i'd definitely take it, they players currently of equal standing, and I'd say that Davies has it in him to be a better player. Then, there would be £4m to spend on that full-back problem you keep using as an excuse to defend Taylor.

a) ooooooh-kay, i still never implied that taylor had played against the european greats but 5 of the teams you name there i'd consider good european opposition, although not champions league quality...but the fact that he's played against these teams when davies has played against none surely means he's more experienced?  no?

again don't get me wrong i'm not suggesting that davies would suddenly turn into me or something if he was put in european games but the FACT is he hasn't played at that level, taylor has - end of

b) can you elaborate on how bolton, everton and spurs are better than alkmaar, palermo, fenerbache, frankfurt please?  by the way....

c) and how does davies have potential to improve himself at NUFC but taylor doesn't?  surely the club would drag davies down too right?  if not why not?  taylor is considered one of the brightest prospects in the english game by tony adams who took him to wycombe and is now coaching pompeys (pretty damn good) defence....between you and tony adams i know which opinion i'd trust

a) UEFA cup is not really an experience. He has basically come into European games this season, playing with a team of European experienced players, and played his normal game, and has learnt a few lessons in the process. Davies could have easily done the same in 12 matches given the chance. Therefore, looking at Premiership performances is more of a measure.

b) Bolton > Everton > Newcastle > Spurs > Leverkusen = Fenerbache = Alkmaar.

c) Davies is faster and more composed from what I've seen. Natural ability which means that by the time each player would reach the maximum level of improvement you can reach currently at Newcastle, I'd expect Davies to be better.

Guest LucaAltieri

its chelsea though and if they can pay £23m for wright phillips and be linked with an £18m bid for micah richards i reckon we should be talking £10-12m for taylor before we think about accepting.

I'd normally agree with you, but we've had a couple of bargains from Chelsea, I don't think we're in a position to hold them to ransom like other clubs might be, particularly if we want to get any more of their cast-offs on the cheap.

Taylor isn't brilliant, especially at set pieces, and I dont think we could bring him on any further. Bramble is better.

Why do you think that? Why can't we bring him on any further? He's 21 for crying out loud and has already shown a lot of potential. Bramble, on the other hand, will always be Bramble.

I seriously hope i'm gonna get whooshed here, but i swear you're mixing Taylor up with Ramage.

Taylor loses his man rather alot due to ball watching, and doesn't seem to be able to sort it out. That is why we have signed Gooch, and why we are playing him alongside Bramble.

taylor would, should and must be number one choice CB once we get full backs worthy of the shirt, anything less and we deserve everything we get

name me a better prospect, ENGLISH prospect, for his position at his age...please

Curtis Davies, Micah Richards (whose natural position is centre back) right now, and David Edgar will be better by the time he reaches Taylor's age (yes, I know he is Canadian, but I dont get all this English s***). Another centre back that is better is Daniel Agger.

Taylor is a good 6th to 16th placed club Premiership defender, but no more, and right now, he is only the third best centre back at the club if you look at both current ability and how the players gel together as a unit. At £7.5m+ we could buy an improvement on him.

a) curtis davies has never played consistently and therefore been proven at the highest level

b) micah richards is 3 years younger than him and to my knowledge has played primarily at right back and is actually considered a long term prospect for defensive midfield

c) edgar has played a handfull of games and looks a good prospect agreed, but you can hardly suggest he's currently to be considered a better prospect than taylor

d) agger is obviously not english, but is decent, agreed....albeit even he hasn't convinced for liverpool if you talk to their fans and this is his first full season at the club, a long way to go then....

e) who could we buy for 7.5m, at the same age, who is PROVEN to be better than him then?

a) Davies consistently played well in the Premiership last season in a side that got relegated, and still plays consistently for the U21s. He also plays more U21 games than Taylor.

b) Richards is versatile enough to play in many positions, but he will be a great player whereever he plays, so that makes him a better centre back.

c) During his short stint at centre back, Edgar looked more composed and better in the air than Taylor ever has

d) Agger has displaced Hyypia, and fans now like him afterhe had had a dissappointing start to his Liverpool career. Given Liverpool's good defensive record, he  must be doing quite well.

e) Age is irrelevant. Taylor is unlikely to get much better. Players do not significantly improve while at Newcastle United. I'm sure there are over 20 centre backs with more current ability than Taylor who would cost less than the bid I would accept from Chelsea. Taylor is a good player, but he is replaceable. Curtis Davies is one example of a same age player proven to be better.

All just talk though, as there is no way that Chelsea are interested. Taylor is good, but not that good.

Davies doesn't play more U21 games than Taylor, he has 3 caps Taylor has 14(and 3 goals). The last time Davies played he looked like Bramlbe at his worst, did you see the Spain game? It was a disaster for him.

More caps perhaps, but that is because Taylor emerged a couple of years before Davies.

Davies has been around for longer, Taylor has around 50 appearances for us whereas Davies has 62 for West Brom and 56 for Luton. Also he had a full season of football in the premiership, something which Taylor is only getting this season.

Taylor has played 70 games, about two games in three since January 2005 which was the time he emerged, and remember that he spent time out injured last season. Thus, Taylor had emerged in top flight football long before Davies did.

Also, in answer to Mrmojonson's question regarding how many top level European games has Davies played in, you cant really say that Taylor has played in any top level european games either, or at least he hasn't played any team better than Chelsea, Manyoo, Liverpool or Arsenal. Therefore, both Davies and taylor have played against the same high standard opposition.

a) no-one mentioned "top level" european competition, merely european...so how many has davies played in and proven himself to be good enough to play against the likes of PSV, Fenerbache, Sporting Lisbon or whoever Taylor has played against in the last 2 and a bit years?

by the way i'm not saying davies is better or worse than taylor, i've barely seen davies play - i'm simply questioning your utter conviction he's better than taylor

b) oh and by the way would you sign davies for 8m if we sold taylor for 12m for example?  'cause davies wouldn't get any better at NUFC remember...

a) Taylor has played against Lillestrom, Ventspils, Levadia, Palermo, Fenerbache, Frankfurt, Celta Vigo, Waregem and Alkmaar. He may have played in a couple of others, but no real big European games, as this is his first real European campaign. Hardly a great experience to put him above Davies. Bolton, Everton, Spurs are better than all of these teams, and Davies has played against them too and proven himself.

b) i'd definitely take it, they players currently of equal standing, and I'd say that Davies has it in him to be a better player. Then, there would be £4m to spend on that full-back problem you keep using as an excuse to defend Taylor.

a) ooooooh-kay, i still never implied that taylor had played against the european greats but 5 of the teams you name there i'd consider good european opposition, although not champions league quality...but the fact that he's played against these teams when davies has played against none surely means he's more experienced?  no?

again don't get me wrong i'm not suggesting that davies would suddenly turn into me or something if he was put in european games but the FACT is he hasn't played at that level, taylor has - end of

b) can you elaborate on how bolton, everton and spurs are better than alkmaar, palermo, fenerbache, frankfurt please?  by the way....

c) and how does davies have potential to improve himself at NUFC but taylor doesn't?  surely the club would drag davies down too right?  if not why not?  taylor is considered one of the brightest prospects in the english game by tony adams who took him to wycombe and is now coaching pompeys (pretty damn good) defence....between you and tony adams i know which opinion i'd trust

a) UEFA cup is not really an experience. He has basically come into European games this season, playing with a team of European experienced players, and played his normal game, and has learnt a few lessons in the process. Davies could have easily done the same in 12 matches given the chance. Therefore, looking at Premiership performances is more of a measure.

c) Davies is faster and more composed from what I've seen. Natural ability which means that by the time each player would reach the maximum level of improvement you can reach currently at Newcastle, I'd expect Davies to be better.

i'm siging off from this 'cause whereas i can give davies some credit and see that he might prove himself better than taylor in the long run you can't see that he hasn't done so already and thus we're talking a different language

bye bye

i'm siging off from this 'cause whereas i can give davies some credit and see that he might prove himself better than taylor in the long run you can't see that he hasn't done so already and thus we're talking a different language

bye bye

Admitting defeat are we?

Davies has proved himself to have just as much ability as Taylor, who in reality has done little of note yet, and there are people on this forum who know Davies better than I do who can back me up on this.

If you think Taylor has proven himself yet, you need to take off your black and white goggles.

Guest LucaAltieri

bye bye

Admitting defeat are we?

Davies has proved himself to have just as much ability as Taylor, who in reality has done little of note yet, and there are people on this forum who know Davies better than I do who can back me up on this.

If you think Taylor has proven himself yet, you need to take off your black and white goggles.

You're talking bullocks. Taylor is older and so has had the opportunity to gain more experience at EVERY level. Davis is still unproven. Try twisting it and turning it how you like, those are the facts and its plain to everyone you're talking crap.

bye bye

Admitting defeat are we?

You're talking bullocks. Taylor is older and so has had the opportunity to gain more experience at EVERY level. Davis is still unproven. Try twisting it and turning it how you like, those are the facts and its plain to everyone you're talking crap.

Sorry to have to piss on your chips but I think you will find Taylor is younger than Curtis Davies.

bye bye

Admitting defeat are we?

came back to see what bollox you'd put in next and you did yourself proud

davies has proven himself to be a good championship level defender, nothing more nothing less...he has the potential to be an excellent PL defender no doubt but isn't yet

taylor has proven himself to be a good, competent PL defender with potential to improve further given his age

end of story

again

I will stick to English. Similar or better

1. Seb Hines (Middlesbrough)

2. Gary Cahill (Aston Villa)

3. Liam Ridgewell (Aston Villa)

4. Micah Richards (Man City)

That said, I don't want Taylor to go, no matter how much they offer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you do it just to wind me up? Seb Hines ffs. :laugh:

Guest LucaAltieri

Sorry to have to piss on your chips but I think you will find Taylor is younger than Curtis Davies.

Smartarse... you'll let me have the 'experience' thing though, right?

bye bye

Admitting defeat are we?

Exactly, none of these people seem to actually know a thing about Curtis Davies when they are defending Taylor. Pure black and white goggles.

bye bye

Admitting defeat are we?

came back to see what bollox you'd put in next and you did yourself proud

davies has proven himself to be a good championship level defender, nothing more nothing less...he has the potential to be an excellent PL defender no doubt but isn't yet

taylor has proven himself to be a good, competent PL defender with potential to improve further given his age

end of story

again

Again, you don't seem to know much about other players.

Davies is an outstanding Championship defender, but also proved himself as being at a similar level to Taylor last season in the Premiership, while at the same time demonstrating a natural composure  and pace that Taylor does not have.

Guest LucaAltieri

Exactly, none of these people seem to actually know a thing about Curtis Davies when they are defending Taylor. Pure black and white goggles.

Doesn't change much... just makes Taylor the more attractive prospect if you ask me. So Davis is older and has done nowt? Quick, get the cheque book out.

Doesn't change much... just makes Taylor the more attractive prospect if you ask me. So Davis is older and has done nowt? Quick, get the cheque book out.

Taylor has had more experience and opportunities and has done nowt. Better reject a decent bid from Chelsea then.

already said i'd barely seen davies play thanks, you don't need to tell me what i do and don't know

what i do know is that one relegation season in the premiership proves nowt pal, that's why it's a relegation season....average quality can look fantastic amidst sh!te in bad teams...

when you hear about championship players tearing it up this season i'm hearing about barnes at derby, bendtner at brum, bale at saints and a couple of others...i don't hear that opinion of curtis davies has either shot through the roof or gotten worse; he's a good defender, maybe a very good defender but HAS NOT got the experience to be put alongside taylor yet

a similar example is leighton baines and gareth bale if you think about it, both young english left backs one of whom has played in the PL for 2 seasons now and has not been found wanting, the other with bags of potential who hasn't proven himself at the top division (in his case due to being so young) but you can't compare the two just because you think one will do something that the other has....

perhaps a better comparion would be barnes at derby and, say, lennon at spurs....

by the way i see a few people backing me up but not too many in support of you, must be those black and white goggles

Guest Invicta_Toon

let's fuck taylor off, he's a liability

he can go and improve his drama skills at the rent boys school of performance art

already said i'd barely seen davies play thanks, you don't need to tell me what i do and don't know

what i do know is that one relegation season in the premiership proves nowt pal, that's why it's a relegation season....average quality can look fantastic amidst sh!te in bad teams...

when you hear about championship players tearing it up this season i'm hearing about barnes at derby, bendtner at brum, bale at saints and a couple of others...i don't hear that opinion of curtis davies has either shot through the roof or gotten worse; he's a good defender, maybe a very good defender but HAS NOT got the experience to be put alongside taylor yet

a similar example is leighton baines and gareth bale if you think about it, both young english left backs one of whom has played in the PL for 2 seasons now and has not been found wanting, the other with bags of potential who hasn't proven himself at the top division (in his case due to being so young) but you can't compare the two just because you think one will do something that the other has....

perhaps a better comparion would be barnes at derby and, say, lennon at spurs....

by the way i see a few people backing me up but not too many in support of you, must be those black and white goggles

Well due to having a WBA fan in the family, I have seen enough of Davies to say that I would sell Taylor for less than what I would pay for Davies.

I'm sure i'll get backup eventually, but the reality is that most fans are so focused on all things Newcastle that their football knowledge is limited.

Well due to having a WBA fan in the family, I have seen enough of Davies to say that I would sell Taylor for less than what I would pay for Davies.

I'm sure i'll get backup eventually, but the reality is that most fans are so focused on all things Newcastle that their football knowledge is limited.

fair enough, footballs all about opinions eh?

my opportunities to see ANY games are limited these days, i live abroad and the only games they show involve korean footballers so when NUFC play spurs, man u, reading or 'boro i'll get to see it...then i also see some when i'm working away so i get PL games but no championship - absolute shame really 'cause it looks like a very exciting league this year

i'll defer to your having more knowledge of davies than me of course but at this stage of taylors career i could NEVER see that selling him would make sense unless it was for proposterous money....maybe if in a years time edgar comes in and continues to look good perhaps but certainly not before

Davies is an outstanding Championship defender, but also proved himself as being at a similar level to Taylor last season in the Premiership, while at the same time demonstrating a natural composure  and pace that Taylor does not have.

Yes, Taylor does lack composure and pace. The former he can improve upon but the second he can't. He's no better than Bramble right now but as a younger player does have more potential to improve.

I don't think he's going to be the world beater everyone hoped he would be but I hope I'm wrong.

Yes, Taylor does lack composure and pace. The former he can improve upon but the second he can't. He's no better than Bramble right now but as a younger player does have more potential to improve.

I don't think he's going to be the world beater everyone hoped he would be but I hope I'm wrong.

john terry is a good example for taylor - physically similar and terry had big question marks over his pace when he was younger....he overcame it through learning how to position himself well & tailoring his training towards increasing his pace amongst other things....

it can be done

i think taylor could make it, although probably not as a world beater as you say, but to consider selling him...i just don't know

As a neutral I don't think Taylor is anywhere near good enough for a top club like Chelsea or Liverpool. This is a nonsense story to fill out space in the paper. He's a competent Premiership defender and not much else.

Taylor hasn't got pace?  I'd say that's one of his strengths.  Did you see him tear back when az were through?

I think he has a lot of raw talent, but needs some coaching, as his positional play is often poor.

it's a massive weakness of his, against quick strikers he's always struggled

Taylor wont leave, Chelsea simply wont fork out the £20m we'd ask for him.

He's not worth it, but neither was SWP's at £21m or many other Chelsea signings.

If Davies a Championship player who has been pissed on plenty times this season by championship crap is worth £7m+, then Taylor our very own is worth triple that fee to us.

There are too many faults with Taylor right now for Chelsea to really want to sign him. One fault in a Chelsea player these days is turned into a gaping hole, and with defenders thats too big a risk for the club who simply need the very best to deal with the pressure of the circus.

I will stick to English. Similar or better

1. Seb Hines (Middlesbrough)

2. Gary Cahill (Aston Villa)

3. Liam Ridgewell (Aston Villa)

4. Micah Richards (Man City)

That said, I don't want Taylor to go, no matter how much they offer.

That the same Ridgewell that was being touted for a loan move to Stoke in January? Stop playing champ manager!!