Geordies

Lenny

Really original title I know but.....

Are geordies as a whole as fanatical about football as people say they are? I only really ask because the one time I was in Newcastle (Im from Kent) I got in a cab and started the usual conversation as you do, and I mentioned I was up for my birthday watching the Olympiacos game, and the bloke didnt even know we were playing them and told me he werent really into football! I was shocked!!! Everyone always says how everyone in Newcastle is so passionate about their football, I must have met the only fucker that dont give a shit!

so yeah, was just wonderin!

nah there are loads of folk nowadays who just arent interested in footy, that still applies in the mighty Newcastle. I blame the modern world.

i was most disappointed, the first geordie i speak to and he dont like football!!!

nah there are loads of folk nowadays who just arent interested in footy, that still applies in the mighty Newcastle. I blame the modern world.

Aye, what he said. I know a canny few locals at work who don't take any/much interest in NUFC.

The whole everyone in Newcastle is mad on football gets overplayed by the national media, however I do think that there are perhaps more people here than in other parts of the country who, although not particularly interested still know what's going on, who the players are etc.

My Dad's a good example of this - He's never been particularly interested in football (although he doesn't hate it). According to my Grandma, my Grandad used to think there was something wrong with him! Anyway, despite all that (and his attempt to try and 'cure' me when I was 6 by taking me to a match to put me off - which completely backfired) he still knows who the players are. He doesn't really know who we're playing next, but he knows the results and things, and does actually like to see NUFC doing well.

I think that there could well be more people here in that catagory than in other areas, where people who aren't interested don't know anything at all.

When we are doing well the whole place is buzzing.

Everyone is black & white, its quite brilliant and sickening at the same time.

Whether that is because we have a few fair weather fans or because the real fans are sick as piss and tend not to talk much about goings on at the moment.

Either way, we need some more good times so everyone can walk that extra inch taller. (especially Dave)  O0

Also, do u often see players in the streets/nightclubs/bars etc, or public places and if u do how do people react to it? The closest team of any "significance" to where i live is Gillingham and 1: thats still 60 or so miles away and 2: They are shit!!!

Guest smoggeordie

Also, do u often see players in the streets/nightclubs/bars etc, or public places and if u do how do people react to it? The closest team of any "significance" to where i live is Gillingham and 1: thats still 60 or so miles away and 2: They are s***!!!

I don't see players in public.....they see me  ;)

TBH i've seen players loads around town and in the shop I saw some when I worked there, some people ask for autographs but most just go about their business as normal.

Guest Geordiesned

Puffs, the lot of 'em. :D

Guest Invicta_Toon

the only Geordie I've met up here has long hair, doesn't drink and doesn't like football

what an uttercunt

Better than being glory hunters I suppose. There's a bloke who drinks in The Crow's Nest and gets on the Metro at Byker, middle aged, long grey hair, broad Geordie accent and wears a Man Utd shirt. I hate the old bastard with a passion.

Better than being glory hunters I suppose. There's a bloke who drinks in The Crow's Nest and gets on the Metro at Byker, middle aged, long grey hair, broad Geordie accent and wears a Man Utd shirt. I hate the old bastard with a passion.

Does he wear corn-rows? He could be a certain someone's father... :laugh:

Guest Morph

Anyone who doesn't follow football is gay or has something wrong with their balls imo, same goes for Non-drinkers

Guest ticaL

Most Geordies are VERY intrested in football and i think you met one of few who are not..

Most definately not. I only know three people as interested in football as me and two are Man U fans (Not from Newcastle, so have excuse). Basically everyone else I know hasn't the faintest (perhaps a basic knowledge of the premiership) or plain dislikes football.

Maybe it's the sorts I'm hanging around with...:S

Also, do u often see players in the streets/nightclubs/bars etc, or public places and if u do how do people react to it?

I've seen Zoggy a couple of times (once walking down the Gallowgate, the other standing right by St James box office) and my mate saw Bramble in a pub once (sitting by the bar, drinking alone!).

Guest BooBoo

I think the huge explosion of the fanbase in the Keegan era is slowly coming to an end- witness the recent poor cup gates. I think the coming seasons will continue with reduced attendances until prices are lowered or the team begins to compete again.

ps- Shouldnt this be in the Football Forum?

Most Geordies are VERY intrested in football and i think you met one of few who are not..

Most definately not. I only know three people as interested in football as me and two are Man U fans (Not from Newcastle, so have excuse). Basically everyone else I know hasn't the faintest (perhaps a basic knowledge of the premiership) or plain dislikes football.

Maybe it's the sorts I'm hanging around with...:S

Blatantly hanging around with benders

I think the huge explosion of the fanbase in the Keegan era is slowly coming to an end- witness the recent poor cup gates. I think the coming seasons will continue with reduced attendances until prices are lowered or the team begins to compete again.

The fanbase has always been there, it didn't explode during the Keegan era and it is still there today. What happened during the Keegan time is that the club started to try to be successful, so more people from that fanbase were prepared to spend their money and go to the match.

The fanbase has always been there, it didn't explode during the Keegan era and it is still there today. What happened during the Keegan time is that the club started to try to be successful, so more people from that fanbase were prepared to spend their money and go to the match.

Quoted for truth

Guest BooBoo

Okay, "the fan base" may not have increased but the amount of fans turning up at the turnstiles, certainly did.

Okay, "the fan base" may not have increased but the amount of fans turning up at the turnstiles, certainly did.

Correct.

Further, the amount of fans going through the turnstiles will dwindle when it becomes accepted across that "fanbase" that the club isn't trying anymore.