Isn't it time we gave Europe a miss?

Kitman

Well, another season over then  :'(

As we survey the wreckage of more mediocrity and incompetence, we consider many things:

- the need to jettison an utterly useless back line

- the need to jettison some useless midfield players

- the need to jettison a mediocre manager

- the need to jettison a useless Board

And yet you can't do everything at once.....the Board's here to stay, Roeder will still be dazzling us with his tactical brilliance next season, I fully expect most of the useless shite to be give yet another chance due to Roeder's inability to sign anybody decent.  Ho hum.

However one thought occurs.....maybe we should give the Intertoto a miss if, by some miracle, we qualify again?  Give our players a proper holiday (not that they deserve it) and pre-season, cut down on the games, concentrate on the league and cups and most importantly of all STOP PRETENDING WE ARE A EUROPEAN POWERHOUSE (take note O Fat One).

The reality is with Roeder in chance we stand no chance of winning against clever European coaches.  Our season starts in the summer and carries on till the late spring (although technically it's usually over in Jan/Feb).  We're constantly top of the injuries league.  Our players have delusions of grandeur.  I don't think it's a coincidence.

Thoughts please  :thup:

We get £4m for a good UEFA Cup run iirc.

i think you'd need to win it to get that, and even that might be stretching it.

I agree with NM, that was my sense too.  We'd get more by going up the league a few places.

We won't have to worry about it next season as we won't be playing in Europe

Plainly Roeder agrees with me and is ensuring we don't qualify for the Intertoto. There can't be any other reason can there?  :undecided:

Playing in Europe is always a good experience - particularly for younger players. However - we look miles away from being a European side at the moment, so I think we can forget about qualifying for the UEFA Cup for at least the very next campaign.

Will be interesting to see how the side respond to this - my money is that we'll limp to the end of the season, picking up one or two wins. Many of the players will already be thinking about their summer holidays now.

At least Roeder may drop Bramble now - bet he doesn't though.

Playing in Europe is always a good experience - particularly for younger players. However - we look miles away from being a European side at the moment, so I think we can forget about qualifying for the UEFA Cup for at least the very next campaign.

Will be interesting to see how the side respond to this - my money is that we'll limp to the end of the season, picking up one or two wins. Many of the players will already be thinking about their summer holidays now.

At least Roeder may drop Bramble now - bet he doesn't though.

Of course he won't. Because Roeder is just as shite a manager as Shambles is a defender.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Plainly Roeder agrees with me and is ensuring we don't qualify for the Intertoto. There can't be any other reason can there?  :undecided:

You mean we aren't even going to defend our major European trophy.

You mean we aren't even going to defend our major European trophy.

Only fair to give other teams a go. A big team like us, we'd just spoil it for everyone else.

The extra gates, prize money, and prestige European competitions give us far outweighs any sort of immaterial advantage we could gain from "concentrating on the league" tbh.

Personally, I'm still hoping we'll nick an Intertoto spot this season. Not that I think it's very likely, but I have to find some way to attatch meaning to the game we have left.

The extra gates, prize money, and prestige European competitions give us far outweighs any sort of immaterial advantage we could gain from "concentrating on the league" tbh.

Personally, I'm still hoping we'll nick an Intertoto spot this season. Not that I think it's very likely, but I have to find some way to attatch meaning to the game we have left.

"Prize money" for finsihing a couple of places up the league is better than that in the UEFA cup, i reckon. ANd the gates are not much to shout about, given their size.

As for prestige, there is no prestige to be gained from being shit in Europe.

Its the financial blow thats going to hurt us, the gate receipts, TV money, prize money, match day money, probably increased sponsorship deals due to the extra coverage.

No doubt were going to use the increased TV money to compensate for the huge wages we pay out for a team thats not in the CL, but then well fall further behind when our competitors (the Man Citys, the Fulhams, the Blackburns and Evertons) get to use that extra income to upgrade their squads.

On top of this, player ambition. Wont be suprised if at least one from the likes of Martins, NZogbia, Emre, and probably a fit Owen, decide to pack their bags (ie the few players we have who will attract a better/bigger club), and itll be less suprising when we end up with inferior players. Were going to struggle to attact good players from abroad without Eurpoean football, so well be looking at paying inflated prices for overrated players already playing in this country, unless we look to the lower leagues and take gambles on players who probably arent good enough since most of the good ones are already snatched up by the London clubs.

Its the financial blow thats going to hurt us, the gate receipts, TV money, prize money, match day money, probably increased sponsorship deals due to the extra coverage.

No doubt were going to use the increased TV money to compensate for the huge wages we pay out for a team thats not in the CL, but then well fall further behind when our competitors (the Man Citys, the Fulhams, the Blackburns and Evertons) get to use that extra income to upgrade their squads.

On top of this, player ambition. Wont be suprised if at least one from the likes of Martins, NZogbia, Emre, and probably a fit Owen, decide to pack their bags (ie the few players we have who will attract a better/bigger club), and itll be less suprising when we end up with inferior players. Were going to struggle to attact good players from abroad without Eurpoean football, so well be looking at paying inflated prices for overrated players already playing in this country, unless we look to the lower leagues and take gambles on players who probably arent good enough since most of the good ones are already snatched up by the London clubs.

I follow what you're saying but I don't agree with all of it.  As I said before (no back-up for this mind) the club doesn't make that much money out of the UEFA cup.....the TV deals are with people like Setanta and C5, there's no big TV money till you get to the semis or final stage when it gets on the major channels.  The gates aren't that great and half the matches are usually at little away grounds in some Eastern European backwater.  Not a lot of money there.

As far as players go, most big name players want to be playing in the CL not the Intertoto.  Is it really that big a draw?  And if it's the difference between players staying or going, then f*** them, they obviously weren't trying hard enough in the first place.  Your point about buying overrated players on inflated terms is a good one, but I think you'll find we've been doing that for years, Europe or not.  That's because unless and until we return to the CL, we won't be a destination for top players without dangling massive amounts of money under their/their clubs' noses.

I agree with everything you say if you're talking about the CL.  But the Intertoto?  I can't help we view ourselves as a club that HAS to be in Europe so we crucify ourselves to progress in it at the cost of injuries and underchieving elsewhere.  But the reality is our squad isn't good enough or deep enough to compete on all these different fronts - I mean, Huntington at left back for f***'s sake?   I think we're kidding ourselves and our vanity isn't doing us any favours in the league or domestic cups.....

Financially we also gotta keep in mind the monies we will get a the end of next season what with the HUGE increase in prize money for league positions....Which will be nice..providing we aren't relegated next season ...which wouldn't happen...

Guest teepee

i love the european games - but we'll have to give it a miss next season, simply because we cannot qualify.

european football is, however, essential in the future - it brings money and helps attract players!

Guest Invicta_Toon

if we don't og for the intertoto then that's Ne5TheLad's argument blown out the water

I say yes, fuck it off, trim the squad of the dead wood, make some money from selling good players who are shite for us, get some decent veterans and youngsters, have some good cup runs and see what comes out in the wash, as it''s plain to see that neither Roeder or Shepherd are going anywhere

Guest Invicta_Toon

i love the european games - but we'll have to give it a miss next season, simply because we cannot qualify.

european football is, however, essential in the future - it brings money and helps attract players!

abolute tosh, unless you think being attractive to the likes of Luque is a good thing

Well, another season over then  :'(

As we survey the wreckage of more mediocrity and incompetence, we consider many things:

- the need to jettison an utterly useless back line

- the need to jettison some useless midfield players

- the need to jettison a mediocre manager

- the need to jettison a useless Board

And yet you can't do everything at once.....the Board's here to stay, Roeder will still be dazzling us with his tactical brilliance next season, I fully expect most of the useless shite to be give yet another chance due to Roeder's inability to sign anybody decent.  Ho hum.

However one thought occurs.....maybe we should give the Intertoto a miss if, by some miracle, we qualify again?  Give our players a proper holiday (not that they deserve it) and pre-season, cut down on the games, concentrate on the league and cups and most importantly of all STOP PRETENDING WE ARE A EUROPEAN POWERHOUSE (take note O Fat One).

The reality is with Roeder in chance we stand no chance of winning against clever European coaches.  Our season starts in the summer and carries on till the late spring (although technically it's usually over in Jan/Feb).  We're constantly top of the injuries league.  Our players have delusions of grandeur.  I don't think it's a coincidence.

Thoughts please  :thup:

....those pesky 'clever' european coaches...Grrr.