Chopra: England selections "do my head in"

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Cardiff striker Michael Chopra admits it 'does his head in' to see David Nugent ahead of him in the England pecking order.

Preston's Nugent has been selected for England's Under 21 game against Italy but could be called up to the senior squad if there are any late withdrawals, after being placed on standby by Steve McClaren.

Chopra is the Championship's top scorer with 21 goals this term but has been overlooked for international duty since earning one Under 21 cap when he was at Newcastle.

And he concedes it is frustrating to see others in line to be picked before him.

"It does do my head in to see David Nugent called up like that for England, to be honest with you," Chopra told the Western Mail.

"He's a good player, but I don't think I'm getting a fair crack at the England setup.

"Nugent has been playing for the Under 21s and that makes it easier to make the step up.

"I wasn't ever really given a chance at that level to show what I could do. I had one match, I scored a goal and was never called up again.

"All I can do now is take things on the chin and do my best at Cardiff and see if I can get a chance for England in future."

www.skysports.com

Still lots of time for him prove he can cutt it at the top level, Fergie always said if you can score goals, then you can score tham  in any league. Funny but Chopra did'nt really do to well in the Prem when he got his chance here.

He has proven though that he has an eye for goal when playing  in a lower league, I Still think he will end up back in the Prem soon enough managers take notice of a goal record like his.

This Season

Appearances: 39

Goals: 21

@ Barnsley

Appearances: 39

Goals: 17

I don't have any stats on his assists count but I reckon he has supplied quite a few assists for Cardiff.

Also the number of times he hits the woodwork.

The sooner Chopra plays regularly for a Premiership side (not necessarily Newcastle united) the better.

Its weird,but i think he SHOULD be picked

i.e he scored 21 goals,and a decent number of assists

i see no reason for him not getting picked,he is a natural goal scorer and can also support play,really liked him when he was here and it was too bad he didnt want to renew his contract (who can blame him)..

if he keeps his peformence like this then he should get a call-up,sooner or later..

Chopra has 12 assists so far this season..

Shots are

shots ; on    off    ww

57   69   5

in 39  Appearances league and cup

David Nugent has

Goals ; 16

Shots ; on      off    ww

50   46   3

assists 5

Appearances 39

21 goals and 12 assists, and the season is not finished yet.

This is a trully impressive figure. I know, and this is repeated many times already, that he is only playing at championship level. But if Nugent, Doyle, Lita et al are deemed better than Chopra why did they not score more goals than Chopra?

Paper Stats don't tell the whole story but Chopra is not someone who just sit and wait for goal scoring opportunity.

I don't think Chopra should play for England yet as they are more qualified players about. But is Nugent trully a better player than Chopra? Time will tell but at this moment I still regard Chopra a better forward/striker than Nugent.

His stats are miles better than Nugents.

David Nugent

Goals ; 16

Shots ; on      off    ww

50      46      3

assists 5

Appearances 39

Stats do not lie, if I was Chopra I would be pissed Nugent got the nod a head of me.

The reason Chopra will never be taken seriously is because he lacks pace...

Them be the new rules of football. You cannot be his size in this day and age and not have pace. Far lesser players will always get greater opportunities as long as they have more pace.

He obviously has adapted his game to cope with his lack of pace, Shearer was enver the fastest player.

But I agree mate it is what will keep him out of the squad, I think its daft but it is why he wil lsuffer.

Guest eyeball_tickler

this is the same as milner being overlooked and lennon getting in the squad despite inconsistent form.

ie. nugent has the "bigger name" so he must be miles better.

He's got a point, but the case is a simple one. Nugent currently plays for the U21s. Therefore he's the next in line by default.

Ameobi is next in line tbh..

I've no idea what you mean there.

He's got a point, but the case is a simple one. Nugent currently plays for the U21s. Therefore he's the next in line by default.

Ameobi is next in line tbh..

I've no idea what you mean there.

Exactly my point :)

Nugent gets picked by default just because he played for the U-21 side..

well,Ameobi played for them hasn't he?,and everytime he scores 3 goals in a row he is "tipped for England" :lol:

Anyway,just ignore me next time..

I would pick Lennon over Milner though, both are not great crossers of a ball, but Lennon has more pace and is more direct than Milner. Its tougher with strikers though, I say if they are scoring goals on a regular basis then pick them.

Andy Johnson has 10 goals , 5 assists, 26 apps. not that great, dunno how many of his 10 are pens aswell.

21 goals and 12 assists, and the season is not finished yet.

This is a trully impressive figure. I know, and this is repeated many times already, that he is only playing at championship level. But if Nugent, Doyle, Lita et al are deemed better than Chopra why did they not score more goals than Chopra?

Paper Stats don't tell the whole story but Chopra is not someone who just sit and wait for goal scoring opportunity.

I don't think Chopra should play for England yet as they are more qualified players about. But is Nugent trully a better player than Chopra? Time will tell but at this moment I still regard Chopra a better forward/striker than Nugent.

Chopra will never be in the England team, i suspect. He's found his level, good luck to him. But he's not premiership class, so he's not going to be international class.

Guest Gemmill

There seem to be some people in this thread actually agreeing with Chopra.  HELLO???  THIS IS MICHAEL CHOPRA WE'RE TALKING ABOUT.  MICHAEL CHOPRA AND THE FULL ENGLAND SQUAD.