Duff

Guest Mantis

in fact, that's precisely why Parker, Duff and Owen joined us imo. they were earning big bucks at Chelsea and Madrid, sums that wouldn't or couldn't be matched by Spurs and Liverpool. tbh Spurs probably needed Duff more than we did, one would think the player and club would be a good match while we had more pressing needs than LW. yet Duff came to us so call me skeptical but it can't be for footballing reasons.

So why did he leave Chelsea genius?  I will accept the fact these players chose us because we were offering a better wage but the whole reason for them leaving their old clubs was to get more football so this whole "only here for the money, aren't bothered about playing" thing is a load of bollocks!

was probably being asked to find a new club, as Raconteur guessed. and it doesn't take a genius to guess who outside of the top 4 - none of whom needed him - would pay the kind of money he was earning at chelsea. yeah he could have sat out his contract and i'm not saying he's a useless parasite like Bogarde was, but for me it's pretty clear he came to us - rather than say Spurs - cause we were the only pursuer who could match what he was earning at Chelsea.

in fact, that's precisely why Parker, Duff and Owen joined us imo. they were earning big bucks at Chelsea and Madrid, sums that wouldn't or couldn't be matched by Spurs and Liverpool. tbh Spurs probably needed Duff more than we did, one would think the player and club would be a good match while we had more pressing needs than LW. yet Duff came to us so call me skeptical but it can't be for footballing reasons.

You're right I believe, Spurs' need for Duff was greater than yours.  It's a fact that Newcastle offered both Parker and Duff more in wages than Spurs were prepared to offer.  In Duff's case, there was also a bigger signing on fee and Duff's agent (Pat Devlin) has his boy employed at SJP.  All those things contributed to DD signing for Newcastle (so I was told at the time).

Guest TheOrder

Or he could of just wanted to play for Newcastle. It's not that hard to believe to be honest.

You're right I believe, Spurs' need for Duff was greater than yours.  It's a fact that Newcastle offered both Parker and Duff more in wages than Spurs were prepared to offer.  In Duff's case, there was also a bigger signing on fee and Duff's agent (Pat Devlin) has his boy employed at SJP.  All those things contributed to DD signing for Newcastle (so I was told at the time).

Or he could of just wanted to play for Newcastle. It's not that hard to believe to be honest.

You're right I believe, Spurs' need for Duff was greater than yours.   It's a fact that Newcastle offered both Parker and Duff more in wages than Spurs were prepared to offer.  In Duff's case, there was also a bigger signing on fee and Duff's agent (Pat Devlin) has his boy employed at SJP.  All those things contributed to DD signing for Newcastle (so I was told at the time).

May have been that as well.  I've no complaints that he did, it's a short career, he does what he thinks is best for him.  I'm sure Spurs will get the right person for the LW spot in time.

You're right I believe, Spurs' need for Duff was greater than yours.   It's a fact that Newcastle offered both Parker and Duff more in wages than Spurs were prepared to offer.  In Duff's case, there was also a bigger signing on fee and Duff's agent (Pat Devlin) has his boy employed at SJP.  All those things contributed to DD signing for Newcastle (so I was told at the time).

May have been that as well.   I've no complaints that he did, it's a short career, he does what he thinks is best for him.  I'm sure Spurs will get the right person for the LW spot in time.

i think duff would suit you down to the ground!

i hope jol comes back with his speculated £7m bid

Guest wheels

I'm suprised at some of the comments here. Duff didn't join Newcastle for the money, he's not that type of person. His mother deals with his wages ffs. He certainly doesn't lack in effort, I don't know how people come to that conclusion. All you have to do is look at his off the ball work.

Most of Irish people would say Duff was average yesterday and hasn't been at his best for years. Mourinho ruined him as he doesn't like wingers and I don't know whether we'll see him at his best again.

I'm suprised at some of the comments here. Duff didn't join Newcastle for the money, he's not that type of person. His mother deals with his wages ffs. He certainly doesn't lack in effort, I don't know how people come to that conclusion. All you have to do is look at his off the ball work.

Most of Irish people would say Duff was average yesterday and hasn't been at his best for years. Mourinho ruined him as he doesn't like wingers and I don't know whether we'll see him at his best again.

So basically you're saying he is now shit but a tryer? Well that's just grand.

Guest wheels
So basically you're saying he is now s*** but a tryer? Well that's just grand.

Basically, yes. No point in talking rubbish about being a money grabber and not putting in the effort.

Guest wheels

Anyone see Duff tonight? He was top class in the first half, destroyed his two markers.

You have to remember he spent the best part of 2 years in shackles at Chelsea. Mourinho doesn't like wingers and didn't want him taking on players, just using his brain and passing simple. He's taking a while to get the ability to beat player back and it's finally back. He's still not at his very, very best but I'm certain you'll be impressed when he plays for you again.

Anyone see Duff tonight? He was top class in the first half, destroyed his two markers.

You have to remember he spent the best part of 2 years in shackles at Chelsea. Mourinho doesn't like wingers and didn't want him taking on players, just using his brain and passing simple. He's taking a while to get the ability to beat player back and it's finally back. He's still not at his very, very best but I'm certain you'll be impressed when he plays for you again.

So when he plays for us again, and is shit, what then?

Guest maznislav

The main problem for Duff and Parker is basically the same problem for each former Chelsea player and it is definitely psychological. Compare their carriers before joining Chelsea and after that, all of them are going down. There are many examples - Mutu, Kezman. Therefore I think that if someone try to work with this boys to recover psychologically now their game will improve in the next season.

Guest nyscooby

"Duff playing poorly for us is the lack of a true full back behind him, which forces him to take on his man on every time"

If Duff cant take people on or win tackles then whats the point of him playing the game..... ?

How shocked i'll be if we buy a player who can actually get past players with their own skill and not relying on other players to pass the ball...

Poor excuses for a poor performer.

i heard today that wor Damien is a bit of a piss head. Just thought id mention.

Well he is Irish...

To be honest I got the impression he was a model professional, where did you hear this?

Guest wheels

So when he plays for us again, and is s***, what then?

I was as worried as anyone that Duff had completely lost the ability to beat a player. Last nights performance, plus his embarassment of Gareth Bale, has shown he still has it and is finally regaining form after 2 years.

Trust me, the Irish fans were as frustrated as the Newcastle fans. He plays Man City this weekend, I'd be very, very suprised if he has a poor game.