Your England Team......

Guest nufc_geordie

Guest nufc_geordie

Now just imagine you were appointed head of the FA and it was your decision to appoint a new ENGLISH manager, and select a squad of 16 players for an upcoming game. What would be your selection?

Manager: Bobby Robson

Assistant: Sam Allardyce

----------------------------------------------P.Robinson-----------------------------------------

M.Richards-----------------J.Terry----------------------J.Woodgate-----------------A.Cole

A.Lennon-------------------S.Gerrard------------------O.Hargreaves-------------G.Barry

-------------------------------W.Rooney----------------A.Johnson-------------------------------

Subs: B.Foster, J.Carragher, D.Beckham, J.Cole, P.Crouch

This is the way I would go, Bobby is the only qualified English manager that should be allowed anywhere near the job. Big Sam is a distant 2nd so should be brought in alongside, and with his technical and advanced preparation techniques with Bobby's enthusiasm and knowledge of the game could work.

Micah Richards has now played enough games for me to say he is good enough to replace and ageing, slowing Gary Neville and the other three defenders pick themselves almost. Playing Lennon on the right and a LEFT footed inform player gives the side balance. Hargreaves and Gerrard in the centre compliment each other well. Rooney and Johnson has potential. Johnson is the inform quick player and if Rooney is given service to feet rather than neck high 60 yeard balls then he can create.

Ben Foster is pushing hard at Robinsons heals for a start, but maybe in another season if he plays regularly for Man Utd in Europe etc. he might push Robinson out. Carragher is great cover for the whole back four. Beckham still could play a role as technically he is still our best ball player and can play either centrally or on the right. Joe Cole creates things and is ideal coming off the bench if the game is stretched. He can play right across the midfield or off a amin striker. Crouch gives a different attacking dimension.

Guest nufc_geordie

Yes, no injuries, just your ideal squad! Wouldn't have Owen at the minute as I would want to see how he reacts when fit, also I think if Johnson is given a chnce he will score goals at that level if in a settled partnership with Rooney.

Yes, no injuries, just your ideal squad! Wouldn't have Owen at the minute as I would want to see how he reacts when fit, also I think if Johnson is given a chnce he will score goals at that level if in a settled partnership with Rooney.

A half fit Owen is better than Johnson. 

B.Foster

M.Richards J.Terry R.Ferdinand A.Cole

O.Hargreaves

S.Gerrard              F.Lampard

A.Lennon                              W.Rooney

P.Crouch

Best team? no way, but i'd like to give it a pop... It really needs Didier Drogba though!

Guest smoggeordie

Manager: Big Sam

Assistant: Shearer

Foster

Richards Woodgate Ferdinand Cole

Lennon Gerrard Carrick Cole

Rooney Owen

In the long term, i'd like to see England adopt a 4-3-3 formation:

Foster

G.Neville Woodgate Terry A.Cole

Hargreaves

Gerrard J.Cole

Lennon Owen Rooney

this is similar to what i was trying 2 recreate, but i think a fat striker is needed. Dunno who though because Crouch is hardly the answer... and Emile Heskey can sit back down.

Guest icemanblue

Picks itself, really.

Foster

Richards - Terry - Ferdinand - Cole

Lennon - Gerrard - Hargreaves - Cole

Rooney - Owen

Robinson

G. Neville - R. Ferdinand - Terry - A. Cole

Beckham - Gerrard - Hargreaves - J. Cole

Rooney - Owen

Subs: Foster, Carragher, Richards, Lampard, Lennon, Crouch, D. Bent

Manager: Scolari

Can't believe some people have Terry ahead of Woodgate.

:lol:

I'm a massive Woodgate fan, and if he'd stayed clear of injuries he'd be up there with the very best. He's still a top class player like, but John Terry is absolutely immense

I'm a massive Woodgate fan, and if he'd stayed clear of injuries he'd be up there with the very best. He's still a top class player like, but John Terry is absolutely immense

For Chelsea, yeah.

Not necessarily the best team, more what I would like to see:

Robinson

Neville - Ferdinand - Terry - Cole

Dyer - Gerrard - Hargreaves - Lennon

Rooney - Owen

Subs: Foster, Woodgate, Richards, Lampard, J. Cole, Beckham, Bent

For Chelsea, yeah.

When has he had a bad game for England in recent times? England's defence is quality and always has been, its going forward where we're always let down.

Only conceded 2 goals in the WC, only conceded 2 in the Euro qualifiers.

Robinson just isn't good enough imo, you can't afford to have a goalkeeper in your national side who is prone to poor spells and "moments". Calamity James has been better than Robinson this season but I would have to go with Foster as he is the most consistant of the bunch.

I just don't think he looks the same player at international level.  Maybe it's do to with the mentality Mourinho installs, I dunno.

I agree that going forward and scoring is the problem, though.  Which is why I'm suprised I'm the only one who would drop Rooney.

His ego is ever since he became captain!  A fit Woodgate should walk into the team ahead of Terry every day of the week.  Terry should never have been given the captaincy when there are better players (Woodgate) being excluded because of that.

Guest smoggeordie

For Chelsea, yeah.

When has he had a bad game for England in recent times? England's defence is quality and always has been, its going forward where we're always let down.

Only conceded 2 goals in the WC, only conceded 2 in the Euro qualifiers.

2 Goals conceded in WC? So what? I'd expect that as we played the mammoth Paraguay, T&T, Sweden and Portugal. We were lucky not to get smashed by Portugal, it should have been 3 or 4. Some of our marking against Sweden, Terry especially, was truely awful.

Robinson/Foster

G.Nevillie  J.Woodgate  R.Ferdinand/Terry  A.Cole

A.Lennon  O.Hargreaves/M.Carrick S.Gerard  J.Cole

M.Owen                W.Rooney

tactics...attack, attack, attack

subs, A.Johnson, G.Barry and my three undecided.

Guest shearer_united

---------------------- James ----------------------

G. Neville ---- Terry --- Ferdinand --- A. Cole

--------------------- Gerrard ----------------------

Beckham ----------- Dyer  ---------------- J. Cole

------------Owen ---------------Rooney-----------