Toon eye up 2 Benfica Stars

Skirge

Signed loads of s*** English players aswell :D

Exactly. If in a year's time Sir Alex decided to quit Man Utd and said he'd take the Newcastle job, would we turn around and say "well the last two Scottish managers were sh*t so you can feck off".

Shepherd probably would, aye. :lol:

Luisao is class but i really doubt he will want to change playing regular Champions league football with Intertoto or no European football at all

Never seen the other guy play so i cant comment about him

Guest NUFC_FAN

Heard us being linked with nelson of benfica. Would be great signing for us. Last season liverpool were linked with him but got scared off by the price! 18 MILLION.

Guest NUFC_FAN

why do people on this website always beleive the papers when newcastle are linked with a player. You must be idiots. They always lie. In january we were linked with shevchenko. NEVER GOING TO HAPPAN!!!

Guest NUFC_FAN

the nelson thing did'nt appear in the paper it was on bbc.co.uk sayin they offically said they were interested but were put off by the price.

what actuallt happened to Helder...i know he's in Porto now, but why did he leave?

Opted not to sign for us permanently. Shame really, he was a good centreback.

didn't deportivo want him back or they were asking too much ?

Aye, I think we should stay clear of spanish / portugese imports. Our past record is pretty woefull!

We should go for more South Americans tbh. Nobby and Acuna were absolute bargains, 2mill and 1mill respectively. Can only think of Bassedas being the only South American flop that weve purchased in the past decade or so - a few others were shiite, but they were loans and/or trialists anyway.

Bet you theres a whole host of players playing in South America who would turn out to be suprisingly good in this country/league.

what actuallt happened to Helder...i know he's in Porto now, but why did he leave?

Opted not to sign for us permanently. Shame really, he was a good centreback.

didn't deportivo want him back or they were asking too much ?

4mill was the price iirc, a price we werent willing to match, but the papers also had a few stories saying Helder didnt want to sign for us permanently, he wanted to go back to Spain. Cant remember why, but theres the obvious reasons of failing to settle, fearing an end to his international hopes ala Goma, etc.

Goma was another defender who was pretty decent in his time here, not "good" but decent in comparison to players like OBrien, Dabizas, Bramble, etc. Funny how along with Distin and Helder, weve failed to keep some of our better defenders up here for different reasons.

Aye, I think we should stay clear of spanish / portugese imports. Our past record is pretty woefull!

We should go for more South Americans tbh. Nobby and Acuna were absolute bargains, 2mill and 1mill respectively. Can only think of Bassedas being the only South American flop that weve purchased in the past decade or so - a few others were shiite, but they were loans and/or trialists anyway.

Bet you theres a whole host of players playing in South America who would turn out to be suprisingly good in this country/league.

Was Gavilan as well, though he looked decent at first before disappearing off the face of ther planet. should certainly be looking at Argentine or Uruguayan defenders as both nations have a pedigree for hard, ruthless bastards. Sorin, Heinze, Milito, Diogo would be a canny back four.