Journal reckons nearly everyone is leaving

Guest smoggeordie

Guest smoggeordie

Glenn Roeder has already hinted at a major summer clear-out at Newcastle after a hugely disappointing season - but it could be bigger than expected following the inept 1-0 defeat to Manchester City.

Magpies manager Roeder has talked tough in recent weeks about his plans for the future, but his players have failed to respond to their manager's warnings with two successive Premiership defeats to Charlton and City after the Uefa Cup exit in Alkmaar.

And while the Magpies boss has attempted to galvanise his squad with threats and ultimatums, there appears to be an air of despondency within the squad and there is a danger there could be more than a just a clearing of the dead wood in the summer.

Craig Moore, who picked up yet another injury to ruin an otherwise decent performance on Saturday, will head to the Middle East or Australia at the end of the season, while Titus Bramble will almost certainly sign for Portsmouth, having been dropped from the first team squad altogether at the weekend.

Newcastle will also look for buyers for Celestine Babayaro and Stephen Carr, while Onyewu Oguchi is unlikely to have his loan deal from Standard Liege turned into a permanent move. But The Journal understands that other Premiership and European clubs are also prepared to test United's resolve to hang on to Damien Duff, Kieron Dyer, Emre and Scott Parker when the transfer window opens in the summer.

Roeder has always insisted he wants to build a team around Parker, quoting the midfielder as one of his "big hitters" alongside Michael Owen and Shay Given last month. But the England international, who was made captain at the start of the season, has had a series of verbal clashes with supporters which have deeply upset the midfielder, alerting United's rivals.

Parker's commitment to the Newcastle cause cannot be questioned, but the former Chelsea star has been strangely singled out for severe criticism by some sections of the club's support. The 26-year-old was wanted by Everton and Wigan before he signed for former Newcastle boss Graeme Souness in 2005 and his stock remains high on Merseyside. Everton manager David Moyes could try and exploit Parker's problems by making another bid, while Tottenham Hotspur have also been monitoring his situation.

Dyer would also be expected to remain at St James's Park next season, but the England star has suffered a worrying dip in form in recent games and was awful against City. The former Ipswich prospect has several admirers among other Premiership managers and could be sacrificed to raise funds if an attractive offer was made.

Emre is another whose future is uncertain. Roeder wants to keep hold of the Turkish international, having defended him in his FA racism charge last month, but the former Inter Milan man is another who could be sold if a big offer was made. The 26-year-old has already been linked with several clubs in the German Bundesliga, including Bayern Munich and Hertha Berlin and was not in the starting line-up against Manchester City.

Roeder has also defended Duff - who was one of United's better players against City - this season as the Republic of Ireland international has failed to find the form which once made him one of the most feared wingers in the Premiership.

But that will not stop other clubs from enquiring about his availability in the summer and there are already rumours circulating that Roy Keane wants to make his former Republic of Ireland team-mate part of the Irish contingent at Sunderland if they are promoted to the Premiership.

While United might be reluctant to sell any of the four, the quartet will also need to be reassured that United can match their ambitions. The Magpies are almost certainly going to fail to qualify for Europe next season and that raises question marks about their ability to attract top players to the North-East.

Given United's collapse this season, Roeder knows he needs to make a drastic overhaul of the squad but, unless results improve dramatically between now and the end of the season, there is no guarantee the former Newcastle skipper will still be in the job to spend the summer's transfer kitty.

Roeder has refused to reveal his targets, although chairman Freddie Shepherd - who will be keeping a close eye on performances and results, starting at relegation-threatened Sheffield United next weekend - has attempted to appease disgruntled supporters with a promise of significant investment.

He said: "We know that the teams needs looking at in more ways than one and that's what we are concentrating on. The squad will be strengthened in the close season - and rarely has there ever been a summer when there have not been comings and goings at St James's Park?"

-----------------------------------------------------

....and if 1/2/3+ of them leave we'll have "and this was brough to you exclusively by The Journal as early as April"  :lol:

Every time I see a match report it always describes him as inspirational, even against man city. Every time I see him he is a great player and works hard.

But building a team around someone who has glandular fever might not be too clever seeing as he shouldn't even be playing every match.

But building a team around someone who has glandular fever might not be too clever seeing as he shouldn't even be playing every match.

You do realise he had glandular fever over a year ago don't you?

Guest smoggeordie

You do realise he had glandular fever over a year ago don't you?

Glandular fever can take years to leave the body fully.

Lad on another site who has in the past been absolutely spot on with his info is saying Roeder will go in the summer and Big Sam will be the man. Shepherd apparently had harsh words with Roeder post City match and is aware he has 'lost' the dressing room.

Whatever, who'd be a skunker eh?

Lad on another site who has in the past been absolutely spot on with his info is saying Roeder will go in the summer and Big Sam will be the man. Shepherd apparently had harsh words with Roeder post City match and is aware he has 'lost' the dressing room.

Think it was Dr Spectrum on here who said rumours were rife around Bolton that Big Sam was going to Newcastle. Could be something in it.

Glandular fever never leaves the body.  But it stays in a dormant state, which is why you can't get it more than once.  Dormant means it doesn't have any adverse effects, it just sits there doing nothing.

Think it was Dr Spectrum on here who said rumours were rife around Bolton that Big Sam was going to Newcastle. Could be something in it.

I've read them. But this from an entirely unconnected source (as far as I'm aware)

Guest smoggeordie

Glandular fever never leaves the body.  But it stays in a dormant state, which is why you can't get it more than once.  Dormant means it doesn't have any adverse effects, it just sits there doing nothing.

The effects of it though is what I meant - wise-acre  :lol:

Guest teepee

we need an overhaul - the main problem is, however, that too many of our fans will be one the back of the new squad within months - they will need time to settle and gel, but too many people don't acknowledge that....

i'd stick with given, taylor, parker, butt, zoggy, duff, milner, nobby, dyer, martins and owen (and also keep harper, hunts and edgar as squad players). That only lezves us with having to find 10 new players :D

id have big respect for Roeder if he managed to ship out all the dead wood at the club (and theres a lot of it!)

But...

Will other clubs be prepared to match certain players wage demands, for the quality of player they are getting... Eg Dyer, Carr, Babayaro...

If we did get rid, would any decent/good players actually wonna come here any more?

Would Roeder be able to attract good players

Or would we just end up giving a big name(s) £80k a week, for him to toss it off...

I'm going to be boring and pedantic now because I study medicine and have had glandular fever myself.   :tongue:

The effects do not last this long.  The average length of time to be displaying symptoms is 3-4 weeks, in rare cases it can be a few months.  It can take a while to get full fitness after recovery because it drains you physically and leaves you constantly fatigued, but this is also uncommon, maybe it happens in 2-3% of cases.  In any case, Parker wouldn't be showing any of the fever's symptoms except tiredness.

IF Parker was still suffering from GF, there's no way he'd be playing.  There's such a high risk of spleenic rupture, the doctors would never clear him.

Hope so mate

Guest smoggeordie

I'm going to be boring and pedantic now because I study medicine and have had glandular fever myself.  :tongue:

The effects do not last this long.  The average length of time to be displaying symptoms is 3-4 weeks, in rare cases it can be a few months.  It can take a while to get full fitness after recovery because it drains you physically and leaves you constantly fatigued, but this is also uncommon, maybe it happens in 2-3% of cases.  In any case, Parker wouldn't be showing any of the fever's symptoms except tiredness.

IF Parker was still suffering from GF, there's no way he'd be playing.  There's such a high risk of spleenic rupture, the doctors would never clear him.

Nob off, i'll ask me dad  ;)

Guest smoggeordie

Nob off, i'll ask me dad  ;)

Your nob falls off if u have GF?  O0

That explains why Parker has no balls.  :cheesy:

Fundamental to our problems is that we have:

• Some real shite on decent money (Moore)
  • Some real shite on good money (Babayaro, Bramble, Ameobi, Carr)
  • Some very, very average players on great money (Dyer, Parker, Duff)
  • A manager who is abolutely incapable of seeing his own fuckups, and who will play the shite because he is so terribly, terribly bad at his job

Moore's not that shite compared to the rest, he actually had a pretty good game against Man City.  If he could string together more than a game and a half in a row, I'd try and hang onto him.

Moore's not that shite compared to the rest, he actually had a pretty good game against Man City.  If he could string together more than a game and a half in a row, I'd try and hang onto him.

He's bloody awful. Right up there with Damage and Shambles.