How good can Taylor be in the future?

Ikon

Rather have Richard Dunne than Distin, although both are better than Moore/Bramble/Onyewu/Taylor/Ramage... I'm sure Dr. Spectrum will back me up on this if he's around somewhere. I'd be interested to see who he rates more highly out of the two, as well.

Obviously Distin makes more sense because of the freeness, but will he come back here?

Dunne is a good defender, but he has his moments and at City there isn't so much pressure on him so any mistakes don't go that much noticed. At Newcastle...

I prefer Distin myself who is a much better all-round defender and he can play at LB too.

Except he won't, which is why he didn't stay with us a few years ago.

Rather have Richard Dunne than Distin, although both are better than Moore/Bramble/Onyewu/Taylor/Ramage... I'm sure Dr. Spectrum will back me up on this if he's around somewhere. I'd be interested to see who he rates more highly out of the two, as well.

Obviously Distin makes more sense because of the freeness, but will he come back here?

Don't see a better team coming in for him....atleast in terms of wages anyway. I don't think he left on a bad note.

Have you missed the numerous "only one greedy bastard" chants directed towards him over the years after he went to Man City ahead of us for more money? (When we were in the Champions' League and Man City were mid-table.) I'm sure one of his own reasons behind it was because he didn't want to play left-back, as well, which is where Bobby wanted to use him. Two birds with one stone, there.

He certainly left on a bad note, though, but he'd soon be forgiven if he came back and played well.

Guest Knightrider

Dunne is a good defender, but he has his moments and at City there isn't so much pressure on him so any mistakes don't go that much noticed. At Newcastle...

I prefer Distin myself who is a much better all-round defender and he can play at LB too.

Except he won't, which is why he didn't stay with us a few years ago.

I think the reasons behind his non-move were down to a number of factors and not just LB, in fact was it even an issue? He's played there a few times for City without any complaints.

I'd be interested to see how many times he has done and like I said before, I'm sure the Doc will fill us in on this whole thing. To me, Dunne seems to be more of a leader and we already have the obvious Irish connections here that would be a platform for him coming. It's obviously all pie-in-the-sky as he might not want to leave City, but I think he'd probably do better here than Sylvain would.

Sylvain Distin - Former Newcastle defender who can play at left back or centre back' date=' but fell out with chairman Freddie Shepherd in his first spell at the club and "won't be coming back."[/quote']

Following the loan spell' date=' Newcastle wished to sign Distin permanently, but instead he opted to sign for Manchester City as he wished to play in his preferred position of central defence (Distin had mainly been used as a left sided defender as Newcastle).[/quote']

Although the defender will be available on a Bosman free transfer if he leaves Manchester City' date=' Magpies boss Glenn Roeder told the Evening Chronicle: "I am not interested in Sylvain Distin."[/quote']

Obviously nothing concrete, but tells more of a story than my opinion alone does. It's a shame, because as people have said he is an excellent football player - not sure if he's an ideal partner for Taylor, though, as I don't think he's ever had the reputation of being a big-talker/leader, even when he was captain at Eastlands. Just why Dunne makes more sense to me out of the two, as Roeder has said he's looking for "leaders" and "talkers" - although with both being nearer 30 than 20 (Dunne is 2 years younger than Distin at 27), neither fit his "mould" exactly.

Richard Dunne is the white Titus Bramble, fact.

He's fucking hopeless

He's fucking hopeless

That settles it, tbh. I'd definitely have Dunne here now.

He's f****** hopeless

That settles it, tbh. I'd definitely have Dunne here now.

White Titus Bramble? Hardly. He's had a pretty good season so far

Man City have the 6th best defence in the league, matey, 35 goals against.

We've conceded 41 and are joint 11th with Reading.

Do you really know nowt? Or is it all an act?

Not sure who is a better defender with regards to Dunne vs Distin, but Distin is absolutely ideal for us. Hes fast, he has leadership abilities, hes a good distributor of the ball as well as being comfortable on it, and hes both very experienced in the Premiership, as well as a good professional - which is surely why hes captain at Man City. But most importantly, he rarely seems to pick up an injury.

Hed make a good partner for Taylor because of all of these attributes, its like he has everything that Taylor lacks and everything Taylor needs in a solid partner, and to top it all off, hes left footed - how perfect is that to partner a right footed centreback? Its obviously not something that will make a difference overall as its not a necessity for a good centreback pairing, but its something that does help in certain situations.

Not sure who is a better defender with regards to Dunne vs Distin, but Distin is absolutely ideal for us. Hes fast, he has leadership abilities, hes a good distributor of the ball as well as being comfortable on it, and hes both very experienced in the Premiership, as well as a good professional - which is surely why hes captain at Man City. But most importantly, he rarely seems to pick up an injury.

Hed make a good partner for Taylor because of all of these attributes, its like he has everything that Taylor lacks and everything Taylor needs in a solid partner, and to top it all off, hes left footed - how perfect is that to partner a right footed centreback? Its obviously not something that will make a difference overall as its not a necessity for a good centreback pairing, but its something that does help in certain situations.

Isn't that Dunne?

Whew....lets get tucked into this....

Hardly anyone down here agrees with me but Distin is better than Dunne IMO. While Richard Dunne has a LOT of very good games but when the wheels come off...ehm....can be interesting - Henri Camara consistently tears him a new one and he seems to conceed a calimitaous OG every season. Everyone here thinks the sun shines of Dunne's arse tho...He's probably going to win the player of the year award for the 3rd straight season. I can see the asking price for him being far higher than it really should be due to his popularity so I wouldn't bother speculating about signing him unless you want to pay silly money. On the other hand Distin makes nowhere near as many mistakes, doesn't struggle when he's being turned around as Dunne sometimes does (While Dunne is a lot quicker than he you would think he is not agile and he is not quick off the mark). Shame he's off, its the CB best partnership we've had in my time supporting City.

Another thing that I think would be relevant, when Distin picked up a knock earlier in the season, and Dunne had to lead the defense with Richards under his wing - We lost 4-0 to Wigan and Dunne scored an OG. When Dunne picked up a knock a couple of years back and missed a few weeks, Distin played with Nedum Onuoha as his partner and we were great (That would have been in the unbeaten run Pearce had as caretaker), altho tbf Onuoha is probably a better CB than Richards.

Distin has hardly ever played LB for us, maybe once or twice if someone has picked up a knock but never consistently over any period. He's a centre back, end of.

Why he chose us in the first place, not sure, I'm sure there was hardly any difference in the wage packets, maybe £5k or so...but we were a newly promoted side and you were in the champions league, it seems like a no brainer to chose you, unless he really didn't want to play LB consistently...

I won't dignify the Titus Bramble comment with a response. :idiot2:

And ya, Dunne is the captain now. Was Distin from 03-06 but Pearce changed it. Not sure why, I think its because Pearce prefers similar characters to himself.

Guest Invicta_Toon

'He's only 21' has got to be one of the stupidest comments ever trolled out in football

fucking hell, you're allowed to drive a car at 16, how much more 'learning' is going to take place after 21 FFS?

'He's only 21' has got to be one of the stupidest comments ever trolled out in football

f****** hell, you're allowed to drive a car at 16, how much more 'learning' is going to take place after 21 FFS?

http://www.cyprus44.com/photos/large/fishing.jpg

fucking hell, you're allowed to drive a car at 16, how much more 'learning' is going to take place after 21 FFS?

Not unless you're on full disabled benefit you aren't. Oh, hang on... :lol:

Whew....lets get tucked into this....

Hardly anyone down here agrees with me but Distin is better than Dunne IMO. While Richard Dunne has a LOT of very good games but when the wheels come off...ehm....can be interesting - Henri Camara consistently tears him a new one and he seems to conceed a calimitaous OG every season. Everyone here thinks the sun shines of Dunne's arse tho...He's probably going to win the player of the year award for the 3rd straight season. I can see the asking price for him being far higher than it really should be due to his popularity so I wouldn't bother speculating about signing him unless you want to pay silly money. On the other hand Distin makes nowhere near as many mistakes, doesn't struggle when he's being turned around as Dunne sometimes does (While Dunne is a lot quicker than he you would think he is not agile and he is not quick off the mark). Shame he's off, its the CB best partnership we've had in my time supporting City.

Another thing that I think would be relevant, when Distin picked up a knock earlier in the season, and Dunne had to lead the defense with Richards under his wing - We lost 4-0 to Wigan and Dunne scored an OG. When Dunne picked up a knock a couple of years back and missed a few weeks, Distin played with Nedum Onuoha as his partner and we were great (That would have been in the unbeaten run Pearce had as caretaker), altho tbf Onuoha is probably a better CB than Richards.

Distin has hardly ever played LB for us, maybe once or twice if someone has picked up a knock but never consistently over any period. He's a centre back, end of.

Why he chose us in the first place, not sure, I'm sure there was hardly any difference in the wage packets, maybe £5k or so...but we were a newly promoted side and you were in the champions league, it seems like a no brainer to chose you, unless he really didn't want to play LB consistently...

I won't dignify the Titus Bramble comment with a response. :idiot2:

And ya, Dunne is the captain now. Was Distin from 03-06 but Pearce changed it. Not sure why, I think its because Pearce prefers similar characters to himself.

Cheers mate, fantastic response and exactly what I was after. Very interesting stuff and it does seem a shame that the partnership is splitting up, because it looks like it has been a highlight in a fairly dodgy few years. Like I've said, I think both would be an improvement on what we have, but Distin is probably more attainable. Cannot disagree with the comments that have said he'd be an excellent signing for us.

Can't help but feel he'll go elsewhere, again.