How good can Taylor be in the future?

Ikon

Taylor can be extremely good if hes paired with someone who is currently considerably better and more experienced.

Im sure Toure, Woodgate and Rio Ferdinand playing alongside the likes of Campbell, Radebe, etc, helped them considerably. And it wasnt too long ago that John Terry was playing second fiddle to Marcel Desailly and William Gallas. Learning from that calibre of player, its no suprise that hes progressed into arguably the Premiership's best.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Here's an idea, how about we start employing defenders who don't need an experienced head next to them? Wacky I know, but it just might work

Taylor has massive potential but as others have said we're crying out for a classy centre-half alongside him.

We're gonna have to fork out but it'll be worth a lot of points over the season if we get the right man in, and I really believe that in the right circumstances Taylor can go on to become one of the league's best defenders in a few years.

We've spent a fortune in midfield and attack the last two summers, it's high time we spent serious money on defence.

And to think a couple of weeks ago people were demanding for him to be dropped in place of Moore. He can go on to be one of the best defenders in the Premiership. He is gonna have dips in form though and he needs a quality long term partner alongside him. He looks very dangerous going foward for set pieces now as well.

It's not the dips in form, it is the pointless offenses and bad acting that people call him to task over.

If he gets that arrogance out of his system, he can be a fantasic player for us in the future.

He's still lacking alot of experience, hence the stupid acting and pointless offenses, and to some extent the reckless challenges he makes. However, his challenges is part of his style of play, being the pressing centreback, going forward etc. He and Bramble are too alike in that way, which is why they've never worked well together (that and the fact that Bramble is shite, basically). Pair Taylor with an experience centrehalf who can sit back and mop up what gets through, and he'll be one of the top centrebacks in the premiership in a few years, I'm positive. At least he still has the potential to go that far, in my opinion - as opposed to Bramble, who wasted his a long time ago.

And like Invicta says, getting someone in who already knows their trade wouldn't be a bad idea at all. Taylor has ALOT to learn still, having two players more or less ahead of him in the pecking order would give him more incentive to improve, I think.

Typical of this club that everyone thinks we can, and should, buy our way out of trouble. How about employing decent coaching staff  and letting them show Taylor what to do? How do you think all these defensive messiahs learned their trade? Like people have said defenders aren't born they're made. Why don't we do the making for a change?

yeah the goal at sheffield united was a towering header! i saw the run and had lots of confidence he'd get on the end of it.The thing i like about taylor is he rarely get dragged all over the park,his positioning is improving.

Apart from Sheff Utd's goal being his fault.

No better than Steve Howey was tbh

I think we should be looking to give him the armband asap.

LMAO @ this whole thread. What a bullshit comment to make.

It's debatable if he's even a consistant Premiership performer let alone making the lad club captain.

He could go on to be the white Titus Bramble minus the fresh air kicks add red cards.

Here man, the lad was being sarcastic you know? It's worrying when it gets to such a stage where people are taking comments of that nature seriously on here!

Taylor was excellent again today and has really started to pull his act together after an under-par season so far, although it's impossible to predict how he'll turn out he does seem to have all the required physical attributes to be a good quality defender at this level, he just needs to continually strive for improvement within himself and mature on the pitch if he's ever to be as good as previously billed.

No defenders in footballing history haven't made mistakes, I think we can allow someone Taylor's age the occasional let-off when he does make one... same goes for Ramage, I suppose. Are there actually centre-halves who are fantastic and practically faultless in every single game that they play? Even at the best clubs with the best team-mates? I certainly haven't seen them/heard about them, if so.

Aye, whoosh for me then. But there where a couple other stupid comments up there like him being better than Wes Brown he hasn't even had 1 decent season.

Lad is only 21 and people are suprised that he makes rash challenges every now and then.

Its another case of never having a quality partner (like Martins). Stick him next to a quality partner with good full backs and then we can make a decison. He has a lot of things going for him, he is often called a "no-nonsence" defender but he likes to come forward when there is the chance and isn't bad with the ball at his feet. He is built like a beast, has good height and has decent (not exceptional) pace.

Guest Gemmill

He is built like a beast, has good height and has decent (not exceptional) pace.

I've seen him in a restaurant and he's not even that big, you know?  He looks ferking masseeve on the pitch, but he's actually not that huge.  I'd lace him.

Anyway, if we had decent coaches/a decent partner for him, he'd stand a chance.  As things stand, he doesn't have either.

Guest teepee

as you lot are saying - get a proper partner in for him - and a new left back. let that back four play 20+ games together and i bet we'll start seing so much more consistency from taylor!

nobby-taylor-gravgaard/upson-brigde

and i think we'll see a completely changed defensive unit - and at a reasonable price - no reason in shouting for terry, canavarro and the likes - although i do hope we'll make a last ditch attempt for woody!

He is built like a beast, has good height and has decent (not exceptional) pace.

I've seen him in a restaurant and he's not even that big, you know?  He looks ferking masseeve on the pitch, but he's actually not that huge.  I'd lace him.

Anyway, if we had decent coaches/a decent partner for him, he'd stand a chance.  As things stand, he doesn't have either.

Ok, he looks bigger than a lot of others on the pitch :D

People have said Bramble doesn't look that big in real life but compared to who he is up against he is normally much bigger looking :)

Well, I saw one from juniatmoko... but howay... it's juniatmoko...

Good point.

Here's an idea, how about we start employing defenders who don't need an experienced head next to them? Wacky I know, but it just might work

Indeed. Woodgate and Distin in the summer.

Totally agree. Is Distin definitely leaving Citeh?

Rather have Richard Dunne than Distin, although both are better than Moore/Bramble/Onyewu/Taylor/Ramage... I'm sure Dr. Spectrum will back me up on this if he's around somewhere. I'd be interested to see who he rates more highly out of the two, as well.

Obviously Distin makes more sense because of the freeness, but will he come back here?

Rather have Richard Dunne than Distin, although both are better than Moore/Bramble/Onyewu/Taylor/Ramage... I'm sure Dr. Spectrum will back me up on this if he's around somewhere. I'd be interested to see who he rates more highly out of the two, as well.

Obviously Distin makes more sense because of the freeness, but will he come back here?

Don't see a better team coming in for him....atleast in terms of wages anyway. I don't think he left on a bad note.

Guest Knightrider

The expectations of good youngsters in football is crazy, especially at Newcastle. People seem to forget he is only 21 and to have made a start to his career like he has done, a decent one, bodes well for the future. However I agree in the main with a few comments on here, he will need the right coaching and partners to fulfil his obvious potential and whether we can supply him those things, remains to be seen. I thought what George Graham had to say about Taylor was interesting, he basically waxed lyrical, rates him highly and thinks he has the makings of a top defender, but is suspect at decision making. However Graham reckons that will improve with maturity and playing in a stronger back-four. Also interesting to note him saying NUFC need to build from the back once and for all, or always be a soft touch. Words to that effect anyway.

Guest Knightrider

Dunne is a good defender, but he has his moments and at City there isn't so much pressure on him so any mistakes don't go that much noticed. At Newcastle...

I prefer Distin myself who is a much better all-round defender and he can play at LB too.