Owen and Shola come back

sempuki

From .com:

Back in action:

Strike duo return

Tuesday morning saw both Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi make a playing return for Newcastle in a behind closed doors friendly match against Scottish side Gretna.

More details to follow.

Am I wrong for being happy to see Big Shola back in business? Obviously, the real delight comes with Owen's impending return - of course.

I know Oliver said today that neither will be involved at Fratton Park over the weekend, but surely if they came through this then an appearance in the squad/on the bench shouldn't be completely impossible to forsee for at least one of them. Failing that I wouldn't be surprised to see both on the bench against Chelsea in order to try and instill some positive vibes amongst the other players/crowd pre-match.

Ease them into things nicely so that they find their feet a little bit and then it'll be pre-season time, not exactly ideal, but probably not a bad thing after two incredibly serious injuries.

I am very happy to see Shola back if I am being honest. Someone has said this before but when he stepped out of Shearers shadow he has had a good goal to game ratio plus a couple of assists. He will add more in general to our game than Sibierski.

Surely these behind doors matches are bollocks though. My mate played in a rugby version of this for Johnny Wilkinson and they weren't even allowed to bloody tackle him. If this is the same thing with Owen and Shola surely it serves as nothing other than a kick around with a ball which could have been done without another team ??

I am very happy to see Shola back if I am being honest. Someone has said this before but when he stepped out of Shearers shadow he has had a good goal to game ratio plus a couple of assists. He will add more in general to our game than Sibierski.

Agree entirely. Although Sibierski has had his moments, Shola was starting to look like a Premiership player towards the back end of last season. If he really was suffering from a dodgy hip the entire time, then surely he'll only get better if he's fully fit? If he was playing up-top with Martins yesterday I reckon we would have butchered Arsenal, because Toure/Gallas were having a difficult enough time with Martins alone. His goal ratio of 1-in-2 under Roeder is fair dinkum for someone who has been called worse than shite on numerous occasions.

He'll never be Shearer and he's probably as infuriating as Oba can be at times, but they both have more than their fair share of flair and unpredictability about them - something that defenders definitely don't like. I just hope all three of them can stay fit for the vast majority of next season, the difference it could/should make to the team is probably immeasurable. If Owen/Martins prove a few of us wrong and hit it off, then we'll be laughing, because contrary to belief we do have a few of the required players to provide the bullets.

Guest Knightrider

Ameobi is a decent player, who for a club like Newcastle, ammounts to a decent squad player. We've missed him this season and under Roeder (without Shearer dominating selection/positioning?) he was blossoming and becoming more and more influential.

Has to be Owen & Martins, simply because of their reputations/price-tags. I can't see Ameobi getting a game ahead of those, if they're fit, whatever game it is. Like I've said elsewhere, it might not come off or one of them might get a bad injury and Ameobi will come back into it, but he's most definitely going to be "3rd choice" initially - and rightly so.

A lot of people cannot wait to see Owen and Martins together and I'm one of them, I just really hope they click. Or even if they don't click, I hope they score plenty of goals apiece.

Guest TheOrder

Sho my god, Owens Oba and out!

All three strikers pick up injuries in Newcastles game at Fratton park.

Guest smoggeordie

Sho my god, Owens Oba and out!

All three strikers pick up injuries in Newcastles game at Fratton park.

"Al-bet i'll finally get my chance!" claims luque!

"Sho way" announced Ameobi "I'll run this broken leg off in a week".

Has to be Owen & Martins, simply because of their reputations/price-tags. I can't see Ameobi getting a game ahead of those, if they're fit, whatever game it is. Like I've said elsewhere, it might not come off or one of them might get a bad injury and Ameobi will come back into it, but he's most definitely going to be "3rd choice" initially - and rightly so.

A lot of people cannot wait to see Owen and Martins together and I'm one of them, I just really hope they click. Or even if they don't click, I hope they score plenty of goals apiece.

Yep Owen and Martins, I can see them wroking aswell. Owen is a instinctive predator who hangs around waiting for a chance where as Oba likes to drop deep, pick up the ball and hit belters from distance. Bit more work needs to be done on Martins overall build up play but they could be exceptional with each other!