Keegan

Ally

I just read this about Keegan on wikipedia:

Newcastle

Keegan joined Newcastle United and spent two seasons there, during which time he was adored by the supporters. He played 78 times, scored 48 goals and helped them to promotion from the Second Division in 1984, within a team which also contained Peter Beardsley, Chris Waddle and Terry McDermott. Keegan announced his retirement prior to the end of the 1984 season and on the last day of the season left St James' Park ground by helicopter, still in his kit, after an emotional (and goalscoring) farewell. He moved with his family to Spain and lived an exile's life until the call came back from Newcastle and his career as a manager began.

Managerial career

Newcastle

In February 1992, after eight years of retirement and golf in Spain, Keegan returned to the game as manager of Newcastle United. Widely heralded by a loving Newcastle public as the "Geordie Messiah"[2], he, along with his assistant and close friend Terry McDermott - who Keegan paid out of his own pocket for the first year of their managerial partnership - led Newcastle to promotion to the Premier League as First Division champions in 1993.

Although Keegan was appointed Director of Football in 1994 and agreed a new deal that tied him to the club for next 10 years, he resigned as manager of Newcastle on January 8, 1997.

Found out some things I didnt know such as the helicopter part and that he signed a ten year contract...

Very good interview.

I agree with what he said at the end.

When asked what would he change about football.

He said "Whoever picks up the ball must throw it in".

Agree 100 %. I hate it when they pass it on and laze around.

Would he ever come back?

Very good interview.

I agree with what he said at the end.

When asked what would he change about football.

He said "Whoever picks up the ball must throw it in".

Agree 100 %. I hate it when they pass it on and laze around.

Would he ever come back?

But then, say there's a throw-in in the left-wing position, you'll just get nobody picking up the ball and say they're waiting for the right-back to trot over and take it.

Murdo Macleod, wow that brings back memories...

Good old Murdo, nearly brought the "glory days" back to Dumbarton lol

He was something like a "cult hero" for Dortmund and helped them winning their first trophy for over two decades.

Guest Knightrider

"I'm a Geordie really, so I was going home" or words to that effect. Cracking interview, good to see him less defensive, especially about his England time and letting the title slip, I thought he was spot on regarding that - basically that no-one could handle the pressure due to a lack of experience, him and the players. He reckons if we had of beaten Man Utd in that game at SJP, we'd have won it and I also agree. He also wrote off money owed to him by the club as a player, never knew that, although I knew when he took over he paid Terry Mac's wages, while the club were in financial turmoil and that he basically worked for free when he first took over. Top bloke and a NUFC legend if ever there was one.

Murdo Macleod, wow that brings back memories...

Good old Murdo, nearly brought the "glory days" back to Dumbarton lol

He was something like a "cult hero" for Dortmund and helped them winning their first trophy for over two decades.

He lives in the same town as me, I know his daughters.

Was doing a decent managerial job at Dumbarton but left to take over at Thistle, and then worked under Wim Jansen at Celtic but I think he pretty much just sticks to the commentary work now

We didnt let the title slip, manu gained it.  We didnt do bad, they just did exceptionally well.

We blew it. Pretty sure Ferdinand only scored about 5 goals after the New Year. Games like the Man City 3-3, Forest 1-1 & Spurs 1-1...games against crap/average sides we blew 6 points against, and that's before we even mention the Liverpool, Blackburn & Man U games.

We didnt let the title slip, manu gained it.  We didnt do bad, they just did exceptionally well.

We blew it. Pretty sure Ferdinand only scored about 5 goals after the New Year. Games like the Man City 3-3, Forest 1-1 & Spurs 1-1...games against crap/average sides we blew 6 points against, and that's before we even mention the Liverpool, Blackburn & Man U games.

Bit of both imo. Few key players like Ferdinand and Lee lost their form a bit. Man Utd went on an amazing run too though.

That and the fact Beardsley was clearly losing his form near the end of the season and was tiring badly (couldn't blame him because of his age), and Keegan, rather than just playing with Ferdinand & Asprilla up tops with Gillespie on the wing, decided to try and accommodate all three. But agree, Man U went on an awesome run too.

Guest Knightrider

In the main it was our title to lose and we did just that, I personally think bottle was the biggest factor ahead of other factors such as form, injuries, unkind fixtures (i.e. sky putting us on after Man Utd had won, although that could come under bottle too) and of course Man Utd's amazing form.

Bit of both imo. Few key players like Ferdinand and Lee lost their form a bit. Man Utd went on an amazing run too though.

IIRC ManU wan something like 40 from 50 possible points after New Year.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Keegan lost that title and he knows it

that's why he's been like a broken man in every job since

And there were a number of jammy 1-0 wins. Saw the Premiership Years recently, and there was one game at home to Spurs where Sinton crossed a ball in, took a huge...not a slight, huge deflection off a Man U defender and behind for a corner...the ref gave a goal kick. Straight from the goal-kick, within 10 seconds, Man U had scored to win the game 1-0. Little incidents like that.