Eriksson For Toon

Guest Spark

Guest Invicta_Toon

There was nothing in the way he handled the England side to make you think he knew what he was doing.

Not even losing just four matches in over five years? Qualifying for three tournaments in a row? Getting to the quarter-finals each time?

Since the WC I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much SGE that was overrated, but the players (and not least by themselves).

you honestly do just see it in numeric terms don't you?

All four of those losses came against equivalent opposition. How many equivalent opposition wins did he achieve? TWO!

when you can find me a Premiership team of a relative standard of San Marino, Azerbaijan or Lichtenstein, then you can come back to me

Without checking I'm pretty sure you could use a narrow argument like that (i.e. results against so-called top 10 sides) to 'prove' SBR was an average or poor England manager. Not that I think Sven was great or anything.

so why say it? The above details are FACTS

I can check it if you want. I was using my knowledge/memory from football in the past. I appreciate you won't be able to relate to that :razz:

Anyway, how are they facts? What definition of a 'top 10 side' are you using?

how many do you have?

ftr:

1 Argentina

2 Italy

3 Brazil

4 France

5 Germany

6 England

7 The Netherlands

8 Portugal

9 Czech Republic

10 Spain

You see Vic, I can remember Robson not qualifying for Euro '84 in France and losing all 3 games in Euro '88 and going out against the first 'top 10 team' we played in the knockout stage of both the 1986 and 1990 World Cups. Not having a go at SBR or his managerial talent in any way. Just showing how applying selective criteria proves very little.

yet you have no problem with the statement SGE only lost 4 matches in 5 years? interesting

Why would anyone but you have a problem with a true, provable, factual statement?

when it is used to imply he was somehow a great manager because he never lost. Seriously, where are your Premiership comparison clubs to the level of Azerbaijan?

There was nothing in the way he handled the England side to make you think he knew what he was doing.

Not even losing just four matches in over five years? Qualifying for three tournaments in a row? Getting to the quarter-finals each time?

Since the WC I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much SGE that was overrated, but the players (and not least by themselves).

you honestly do just see it in numeric terms don't you?

All four of those losses came against equivalent opposition. How many equivalent opposition wins did he achieve? TWO!

when you can find me a Premiership team of a relative standard of San Marino, Azerbaijan or Lichtenstein, then you can come back to me

Without checking I'm pretty sure you could use a narrow argument like that (i.e. results against so-called top 10 sides) to 'prove' SBR was an average or poor England manager. Not that I think Sven was great or anything.

so why say it? The above details are FACTS

I can check it if you want. I was using my knowledge/memory from football in the past. I appreciate you won't be able to relate to that :razz:

Anyway, how are they facts? What definition of a 'top 10 side' are you using?

how many do you have?

ftr:

1 Argentina

2 Italy

3 Brazil

4 France

5 Germany

6 England

7 The Netherlands

8 Portugal

9 Czech Republic

10 Spain

You see Vic, I can remember Robson not qualifying for Euro '84 in France and losing all 3 games in Euro '88 and going out against the first 'top 10 team' we played in the knockout stage of both the 1986 and 1990 World Cups. Not having a go at SBR or his managerial talent in any way. Just showing how applying selective criteria proves very little.

yet you have no problem with the statement SGE only lost 4 matches in 5 years? interesting

Why would anyone but you have a problem with a true, provable, factual statement?

when it is used to imply he was somehow a great manager because he never lost. Seriously, where are your Premiership comparison clubs to the level of Azerbaijan?

It was used to reply to this:

"There was nothing in the way he handled the England side to make you think he knew what he was doing."

The ball has crossed the line, no doubt about it.. "Do you honeslty believe that was worth the money that was spent." to "There are people on here who think more money = more right to success, I'm not one of them" just doesn't compute..

you're confusing right to success, with actual performance achieved given the money spent

Oh right.. Now correct me if I'm wrong but this "right to success" bollocks is something YOU came up with and was never actually used by any of us.. All people have said is that a club like Newcastle spending the amount of money we do should be higher up the league table than we currently are. It's not something we deserve or have a divine right to, but it's something we should realistically aim for, hence the disappointment if we continually fail to meet those targets. To me, that is exactly what you imply by saying "actual performance achieved given the money spent" which you use to make your 'point' regarding Eriksson. How come other people are apparently f***, s*** t** or w*** (you do like your swearing) for using the exact same argument you do, yet you are not? You twist and turn an awful lot to always be controversial, but you should have known that all this twisting and turning in your own penalty box would eventually lead to you losing control of the ball and it bobbling over the goal line for an own goal.. ;)

so a belief that if you spend X amount of money you realisitically believe you should achieve a standard Y

is different from, we spent X so we deserve Y

you're just twisting words tbh

It very obviously is (it's the word "deserve" that you brought to the table yourself that you now claim is behind our mindset of realistically expecting a certain return for the money invested by the club), I'm not twisting words (if you can't see the difference between "expecting" and "deserving" even though you yourself came up with the league table based on financial power concept to ridicule others you're less clever than I gave you credit for) and I find that very funny coming from you of all people..  :uglystupid2:

there is no f****** difference between someone at the start of the season saying we have spent X so we deserve a 5th place, and at the end of the season someone saying we spent X so we have failed on our expectations to achieve 5th

Yes there is. The first is ridiculous, as you yourself argued very well yesterday (http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php?topic=38429.msg776285#msg776285), the second is only natural and should be done at regular intervals anyway, i.e. determine whether the club has been underachieving, and if so correct the situation. You seem to think this logic applies to England/Eriksson, but not Newcastle/Roeder..?

You honestly think Roeder has spent a huge amount of money to justify 'expectations'? I had no expectations of Roeder apart from be better than Souness i.e. not to get us relegated

Well yes. He did inherit a fairly good squad you know, plus he has been given 15 million (and probably more based on media reports of us being linked to all sorts of players this January without spending a penny) and three (!) transfer windows to make any imrpovement he saw fit.. Your expectations have been met by the looks of things, so how do you explain your grumpyness on this board. You should be dancing in the streets.. Excuse us for setting our sights a bit higher, will you?

Guest Phil K

Your's isn't though, go climb on her, somebody has too.  :lol:

Aw come on for frigs sake.

Kiss and make up, the lot of yers.  :idiot2: ;)

just seen the pathetic excuse for journalism that Anal wrote today.

obviously we can take anything the fatman says with a bucketful of salt. but i must admit, being forced to contemplate life next season with the worst manager in the premiership is a depressing one.

if it wasn't for the fact that FFS is such an idiot on football matters, i'd not be scared, but he is. so the threat of a relegation battle next season under that incompetent liar Roeder has to be considered. fuck.

The fact that Anal predicted the story and denied it before it happened, followed up by FS rapid denial has me thinking conspiracy, could well be true. Sadly. I think SGE grasp of tactics (that is changing things mid-game to alter the balance of play) isn't that much better than Roeder, which is close to non-existant.

God knows how anyone expects the club to progress when the major footballing decisions are made by a scrap-yard junk collector.

Guest Dr. Richard Kimble
...made by a scrap-yard junk collector.

Son of a scrap yard junk collector, that is. ;)