Eriksson For Toon

Guest Spark

Erikkson is good manager and would get a better overall performance out of our players therefore a better league position. He's not as good as the likes of Mourinho, wenger and fergi but probably in the same bracket as O'Neil.

Guest Invicta_Toon

Erikkson is good manager and would get a better overall performance out of our players therefore a better league position. He's not as good as the likes of Mourinho, wenger and fergi but probably in the same bracket as O'Neil.

so why not just get O'Neil for a fraction of the cost? Oh that' right, he's shite too

From Wikipedia

Like it or not SGE's era should not be considered as abject failure. We blame him for not having achieved the full potential but SGE's England did achieve very respectable international recognitions.

* 67 matches spanning over 5 years with only 5 competitive losses (3 inside 90 mins). This record is only beaten by Sir Alf Ramsey and Glenn Hoddle, excluding Caretaker managers.

* He never lost a competitive match by more than 1 goal.

* He is the only England manager in post for 3 or more major tournaments not to fail to qualify for any (each time qualifying without the need for playoffs). Of course, both the European Championships and World Cup now admit twice as many teams as they once did, making the job of qualifying approximately half as difficult for European countries.

* He took England to their first European Championship quarter-finals on foreign soil since 1972 - their third ever.

* The 5-1 defeat of Germany on September 1 2001, will probably rank as Sven's most significant single game in charge, as well as his point of highest popularity. It remains Germany's largest competitive home defeat and the best England result against probably their biggest rival. England had never previously beaten Germany in a competitive match in Germany and had not beaten them at all in the World Cup competition since 1966. Following the defeat, the host of popular sports comedy quiz They Think It's All Over unveiled an icon-style picture of Sven, comicly depicting him as a saint-like figure.

* England were ranked as a top ten team by FIFA for the vast majority of Sven's time as manager, and they improved to 5th after the 2006 World Cup. Between 1975 and 2000 they were rarely in the top ten and often fell below 20.

* England earned the second seed of the 2006 World Cup, ahead of all other European teams and only behind top-ranked Brazil.

* Reaching the quarter-finals, which England did in all of Sven's tournaments was an improvement on both of England's preceding two tournaments (World Cup 1998 and Euro 2000), when England were knocked out before the quarter-finals.

Despite all this, the media's initial reactions to Eriksson's departure following the 2006 World Cup generally focused on England's failure to progress past the quarter-finals of any major tournament and the manner of the exit in 2006, compared to his salary, which was considerably more than those of other international managers. Eriksson's supporters cite the fact that in the 56 years since entering their first major tournament, England have only twice won major tournament quarter finals on foreign soil. Both being in Italy in the 1968 Euro and 1990 World Cup.

This is a very respectable CV and I can't understand why people would see him as medicore club manager.

Treble in Swedish League

Double in Portugese League

European Cup finalist

1 UEFA Cup, 1 UEFA Cup Finalist

4 Coppa Italia

1 Serie A

Guest Invicta_Toon

I remember the days when Alf Ramsay and Glenn Hoddle were chuffed to bits with their competitive wins against Azebaijan and Lichtenstein

fucking ridiculous

Guest Invicta_Toon

Does anyone honestly disagree with the assertion that we'd do better under SGE than Roeder? 

simpleton attitude

when do you judge this? after 18 months? over a similar budget than Roeder has? how would the 'but I've only signed 3 players excuse be treated when it comes from Sven's mouth? how about the fact SGE would demand a 5 year contract, whereas Roeder had enough balls to admit for the good of the club he would take 2 and be fairly judged at the end of that period?

I'm not convinced. Our players are shite atm, whats Sven going to do? Turn Dyer into Ronaldo. These managers arent alchemists.

How many times did you look at an england team sheet slightly perplexed? How many of his substitutions left you scratching your head?

I remember the days when Alf Ramsay and Glenn Hoddle were chuffed to bits with their competitive wins against Azebaijan and Lichtenstein

f****** ridiculous

You also remember that England reach any quarter final under Hoddle?

fucking ridiculous

Guest Invicta_Toon

f****** ridiculous

fucking ridiculous

good point. we spent millions and went what? 1 match further. Great. You know Souness managed to get to quarter finals don't you?

f****** ridiculous

fucking ridiculous

good point. we spent millions and went what? 1 match further.

Still did better then didn't he?

Guest Invicta_Toon

f****** ridiculous

fucking ridiculous

fuck me how obtuse can you get? Do you honeslty believe that was worth the money that was spent. Do you honestly think that was his stated goal when he interviewed for the job? Do you honestly think the FA were pleased with their return?

f****** ridiculous

fucking ridiculous

fuck me how obtuse can you get? Do you honeslty believe that was worth the money that was spent. Do you honestly think that was his stated goal when he interviewed for the job? Do you honestly think the FA were pleased with their return?

Do you think paying him that much should have guarenteed England winning the World Cup? Unless I've missed your point - what was it again?

Guest Invicta_Toon

f****** ridiculous

fucking ridiculous

Do you think paying him that much should have guarenteed England winning the World Cup? Unless I've missed your point - what was it again?

that he's shite? I believe his stated aim was to win the world cup. I know that all he actually achieved was to beat a top 10 side twice, while losing 4 times.

There are people on here who think more money = more right to success, I'm not one of them

Does anyone honestly disagree with the assertion that we'd do better under SGE than Roeder? 

simpleton attitude

when do you judge this? after 18 months? over a similar budget than Roeder has? how would the 'but I've only signed 3 players excuse be treated when it comes from Sven's mouth? how about the fact SGE would demand a 5 year contract, whereas Roeder had enough balls to admit for the good of the club he would take 2 and be fairly judged at the end of that period?

How about you answer a question for once in your miserable life instead of trying to put the other person on the back foot by deluging them with questions in response? It's pointless attempting a flimsy defense of Roeder with all these hypothetical questions because absolutely nothing would have played out the same. 

Simple yes or no for a simple boy: Do you think Roeder is doing better than SGE would? 

f****** ridiculous

fucking ridiculous

that he's shite? I believe his stated aim was to win the world cup. I know that all he actually achieved was to beat a top 10 side twice, while losing 4 times.

There are people on here who think more money = more right to success, I'm not one of them

So, do you think his England salary is relevant or not?

Guest Invicta_Toon

simpleton attitude

How about you answer a question for once in your miserable life instead of trying to put the other person on the back foot by deluging them with questions in response? It's pointless attempting a flimsy defense of Roeder with all these hypothetical questions because absolutely nothing would have played out the same. 

Simple yes or no for a simple boy: Do you think Roeder is doing better than SGE would

you wan't me to answer a hypothetical question without being hypothetical? how does that work then?

why don't stop being such a little girl, and flesh out just exactly how you think SVG would do better than Roeder? You tell me whether SVG would sign a 2 year contract. You tell me if you would criticise SVG for coming out with the only 3 players excuse? (Christ, even the saviour Martin O'Neil is being defended with that shite excuse, but funnily, Roeder isn't given the same leeway). Or is it that you realise you can't, because you're too simple to even expand that assertion in your mind beyond 'he would do better ug'?

I find people tend to go on the 'back foot' when they've been found out tbh, but still, try your best to expand your mind. Eating some tuna might help

This is a very respectable CV and I can't understand why people would see him as medicore club manager.

Treble in Swedish League

Double in Portugese League

European Cup finalist

1 UEFA Cup, 1 UEFA Cup Finalist

4 Coppa Italia

1 Serie A

And 1 Cup-Winners Cup

And another double with Lazio

I don't want him. There was nothing in the way he handled the England side to make you think he knew what he was doing. It's not that long since he decided that Theo 'no premiership experience' Walcott was worth a spot in the World Cup squad.

Gerrard and Lampard have both said he never spoke to them about how they were supposed to play together despite their relationship being the most important one in the whole side, and he clearly didn't have the guts to try anything like dropping one of them for Hargreaves. He'd never have sorted out the left wing if Mourinho hadn't realised Joe Cole's potential, and his relationship with Beckham was pathetic, especially that experiment with a 'quarterback' formation which was clearly done just to let Beckham play in the middle without dropping either of Gerrard / Lampard.

That kind of thing really doesn't give me much confidence in his ability to handle big name players or take difficult decisions. Not to mention the fact that he's a magnet for tabloid press, something we've had mercifully little of this season.

Guest Invicta_Toon

f****** ridiculous

fucking ridiculous

of course it is

f****** ridiculous

f****** ridiculous

f*** me how obtuse can you get? Do you honeslty believe that was worth the money that was spent. Do you honestly think that was his stated goal when he interviewed for the job? Do you honestly think the FA were pleased with their return?

that he's s****? I believe his stated aim was to win the world cup. I know that all he actually achieved was to beat a top 10 side twice, while losing 4 times.

That's a bit mean of you Alex, to be rubbing it in after Vix has jus scored an own goal.. ;)

f****** ridiculous

fucking ridiculous

of course it is

In what way? I thought we were discussing his merits as a manager. Him being the highest paid England manager ever doesn't make him 'shite' to use your phrase. It just means he was probably (and still is being) paid too much.

There was nothing in the way he handled the England side to make you think he knew what he was doing.

Not even losing just four matches in over five years? Qualifying for three tournaments in a row? Getting to the quarter-finals each time?

Since the WC I've come to the conclusion that it's not so much SGE that was overrated, but the players (and not least by themselves).

f****** ridiculous

f****** ridiculous

good point. we spent millions and went what? 1 match further. Great. You know Souness managed to get to quarter finals don't you?

Boy do England spent millions on buying players :lol::lol::lol::lol: I know you are trying to be stupid but even a fool NE5 realised that players are dearer than managers ... sigh