Man U to make Owen bid

Guest smoggeordie

why would we buy for 17mill then give a release clause for 12?

FFS is a thick bastard, but he knows how to handle money, and that is the one thing he wouldnt do.

We should be looking for £20m for him. When you think we bought him for £17m, he's given us jack shit in the way of service AND we've had to shell out for his medical costs. To break even £17m outlay and £3m medical costs would be the minimum we'd need to achieve to sell him.

Taking an £8m loss is madness, we might as well keep him, let his earn his reputation again with a couple of years worth of good goal returns and then take a lesser hit if we have to get rid. At least that way, it'd be on OUR terms.

£12m - they can get to fuck.

Within a couple of years he will walk away on a bosman free!

We wont get more than we paid for him, If Man United didn't want him for £16m they arent going to buy him for £20m after a couple of years out.

We might get him to sign a new contract on the back of his shite service, given we've paid him two years wages for nowt. If Man Utd didn't want him , there would be others.

Even if he was planning on leaving on a Bosman, we'd be better off taking the £12m hit over two seasons and letting him go on a free. He'll guarantee at least 30 goals over the next two years not to mention assist with season ticket sales. For £6m + wages per season I'd keep him rather than flog him for £12m.

That said, he'll not leave imo and not fuck us off on the sly when we've looked after him properly. Don't think he's that kind of bloke.

Without searching through ICNewcastle to prove it, I am 100% sure that Shepherd has already confirmed that there is no "£X million" get out clause in Owen's contract. This was first said around the time we bought Owen. It was in answer to all the tabloid papers who kept saying there was a clause (because they were upset because we bought Owen).

As I recall, Shepherd said that there were no clauses other than what was normal in a contract. So of course it's anyone's guess what constitutes 'normal'.

I don't understand why so many people are reluctant to believe in the existence of this clause. It's quite common with contracts for major players, and when you consider that Owen was openly reluctant to join us and we had to pay over the odds, I'd be amazed if he didn't manage to get a clause inserted.

I think there is a clause, and I think if Man U match the figure, then he'd be off. What's more, I wouldn't blame him. He's a professional, he'll have the chance to play for one of the world's top clubs, and he won't actually be breaking the terms of his contract. The fault will lie fairly and squarely with Shepherd for signing the player on such unfavourable terms.

We should be looking for £20m for him. When you think we bought him for £17m, he's given us jack shit in the way of service AND we've had to shell out for his medical costs. To break even £17m outlay and £3m medical costs would be the minimum we'd need to achieve to sell him.

Taking an £8m loss is madness, we might as well keep him, let his earn his reputation again with a couple of years worth of good goal returns and then take a lesser hit if we have to get rid. At least that way, it'd be on OUR terms.

We wont get more than we paid for him, If Man United didn't want him for £16m they arent going to buy him for £20m after a couple of years out.

We might get him to sign a new contract on the back of his shite service, given we've paid him two years wages for nowt. If Man Utd didn't want him , there would be others.

Even if he was planning on leaving on a Bosman, we'd be better off taking the £12m hit over two seasons and letting him go on a free. He'll guarantee at least 30 goals over the next two years not to mention assist with season ticket sales. For £6m + wages per season I'd keep him rather than flog him for £12m.

That said, he'll not leave imo and not fuck us off on the sly when we've looked after him properly. Don't think he's that kind of bloke.

For £12m plus the huge wages he is on I am confident we could get a 15 goal a season striker in. We could sign Viduka and Zigic with that sort of money and have a little left over for a decent defender.

Guest smoggeordie

We should be looking for £20m for him. When you think we bought him for £17m, he's given us jack s*** in the way of service AND we've had to shell out for his medical costs. To break even £17m outlay and £3m medical costs would be the minimum we'd need to achieve to sell him.

£12m - they can get to f***.

We might get him to sign a new contract on the back of his s**** service, given we've paid him two years wages for nowt. If Man Utd didn't want him , there would be others.

That said, he'll not leave imo and not f*** us off on the sly when we've looked after him properly. Don't think he's that kind of bloke.

For £12m plus the huge wages he is on I am confident we could get a 15 goal a season striker in. We could sign Viduka and Zigic with that sort of money and have a little left over for a decent defender.

We could get Viduka on a free.

We should be looking for £20m for him. When you think we bought him for £17m, he's given us jack s*** in the way of service AND we've had to shell out for his medical costs. To break even £17m outlay and £3m medical costs would be the minimum we'd need to achieve to sell him.

£12m - they can get to f***.

We might get him to sign a new contract on the back of his s**** service, given we've paid him two years wages for nowt. If Man Utd didn't want him , there would be others.

That said, he'll not leave imo and not f*** us off on the sly when we've looked after him properly. Don't think he's that kind of bloke.

We could get Viduka on a free.

I know :lol:

Viduka and Zigic (who is shite btw) would not sell the merchandise or season tickets that Owen does, nor would they attract quality players from elsewhere.

Can just see Roeder now:-

Zigic/Potential Signing: Why should I come to Newcastle Glenn, what are your plans for the future and who are your targets this summer?

Glenn: Well, I've just sold Englands best finisher, even though he's now fully fit after two years worth of injuries. I am about to make a bold, audacious bid for the fattest, laziest striker in the league though. The lads desperate for a final pay day and I reckon we're just the club to give it to him.

Granted, he costs about £40k a week less than Owen but thats where you come in Lanky.

Have I told you about my record with Forwards from La Liga by the way?

Surely if Zigic is shit as you claim he wouldn't need to have the club sold to him?

I think the hype that sold season tickets through Owen is well and truely dead aswell tbh!

Your kidding me right? We've got to sell the club to every fucker we're in for these days. GOOD or BAD. If a player has ANY self - confidence then he'll be expecting his potential employer to give him all the talk and schmooze.

Some how their Agent saying "Well they are a middle of the road side, with a bent Chairman and shite Manager' will make them rush to sign up do you?

If you think the Owen hype is finished just look out for the Evening Chronicle back pages in June/July & August. It might a shitefest of a newspaper but it's what most would be 'ticket buyers' will get.

He won't go. I actually think that he really feels like he has to give us a season after all the money we paid.

total supposition.

in fact, after the mythical man utd bid, thats the 2nd biggest load of s*** in this thread.

I don't think so.  I've always thought Owen's a good guy, and i think he'll want to put at least 1 proper year in for us.  I could only see him going this summer if it was a great offer and he was confident no more such offers would be available in the future.

Plus, he'd be truly hated in liverpool if he went to manu

Surely if Zigic is shit as you claim he wouldn't need to have the club sold to him?

I think the hype that sold season tickets through Owen is well and truely dead aswell tbh!

Your kidding me right? We've got to sell the club to every fucker we're in for these days. GOOD or BAD. If a player has ANY self - confidence then he'll be expecting his potential employer to give him all the talk and schmooze.

Some how their Agent saying "Well they are a middle of the road side, with a bent Chairman and shite Manager' will make them rush to sign up do you?

If you think the Owen hype is finished just look out for the Evening Chronicle back pages in June/July & August. It might a shitefest of a newspaper but it's what most would be 'ticket buyers' will get.

Every season we have the "we will never be able to attract x,y and z" and pretty much every season we do!

What do you thnk the selling point to Owen was exactly? "well you can play under Souness and play with a knackered Shearer for a season".

Every season we have the "we will never be able to attract x,y and z" and pretty much every season we do!

What do you thnk the selling point to Owen was exactly? "well you can play under Souness and play with a knackered Shearer for a season".

Would not say every season at all TBH.

I would imagine the selling point to Owen would have been that he was the man to lead the charge to better times with a promise of signing further top players, along with the chance to play with Shearer at club level and be a God again.

Not to mention the fact that we were the only club willing to pay him over the top wages.

When we signed Owen, it should have been a symbol of our status and an example of our plans for the future. Selling the club to a world beater like Owen was at the time is different to selling our plans to Antoine Sibierski or to a Mark Viduka.

Not going to get into yet another argument with you Gejon but my point of view is that we are better off with Michael Owen at the club than having the £12m in the bank because:-

- He guarantees you goals

- He'll help sell season tickets

- He's not going to end up on the front page of the papers

- He should have 5 good years in him

- He's the best finisher in the league

- His name being associated with the club helps maintain/build our global appeal.

- His name will help attract other top quality players (a Zigic/Viduka) would not.

- We need a talisman, a spearhead up top and Martins/Amoebi will never be that. Owen can relied upon.

He can only gaurantee goals if he us fit to play. Zigic has a very good goal scoring record for all his club and country. He would be playing in front of twice the home crowd he currently plays in front of and will more than likely earn a lot more.

Owen is a top class finisher but I wouldn't say he is the best in the league.

£12m and £102,000 a week is a lot of money and I am not sure if we could gamble on not taking the offer up when we could get a few more players in for that money and lower the risk.

End of the day its paper talk and most likely a load of shite but there is no way I would be happy with turning down £12m now and Owen leaving in 2 years on a free.

Owen is a good instinctive finisher, perhaps one of the best in the world, helped by his excellent positioning, movement and anticipation. when he has to think about what he's doing, he's not so clinical, as his technique is not as good as RVN or Crespo.

He can only gaurantee goals if he us fit to play. Zigic has a very good goal scoring record for all his club and country. He would be playing in front of twice the home crowd he currently plays in front of and will more than likely earn a lot more.

Owen is a top class finisher but I wouldn't say he is the best in the league.

£12m and £102,000 a week is a lot of money and I am not sure if we could gamble on not taking the offer up when we could get a few more players in for that money and lower the risk.

End of the day its paper talk and most likely a load of shite but there is no way I would be happy with turning down £12m now and Owen leaving in 2 years on a free.

£102k a week for Owen Vs Zigic on circa £40k, Viduka on £45k (he's a free remember?) = £95k so saving 7k.

I'd rather have Owen than an unproven La Liga striker who makes Peter Crouch look like a better header of the ball than Jurgen Klinnsmann and a fat, lazy waster like Viduka. Oh, and remember we've got the Luque and Marcelinho experiences to help us sell the club to Zigic.

Selling Owen now would be an damning indictment of the ambition of the club at this moment in time. Even more damning would be the signing of two wasters/risks.

Sorry I didn't realise Zigic was Spanish, as for the Crouch comment thats just laughable, so I will :lol:

Fat lazy waster that he is Viduka scores and sets up goals, on a free and for £45k a week he will be better value than a lot of our recent purchases!

Sorry I didn't realise Zigic was Spanish, as for the Crouch comment thats just laughable, so I will :lol:

Fat lazy waster that he is Viduka scores and sets up goals, on a free and for £45k a week he will be better value than a lot of our recent purchases!

Where did I say he was Spanish? I said he was an unproven La Liga striker. Can you tell me about all the great buys we've made from Spain that have hit the ground running like Owen did and will again?

There's thousands of players who represent better value than most of our recent signings but that doesn't mean we should sign them all.

Whats the matter Gejon, don't you like somebody providing constructive arguments against your points?

Where did I say he was Spanish? I said he was an unproven La Liga striker. Can you tell me about all the great buys we've made from Spain that have hit the ground running like Owen did and will again?

There's thousands of players who represent better value than most of our recent signings but that doesn't mean we should sign them all.

Whats the matter Gejon, don't you like somebody providing constructive arguments against your points?

Have I abused you in any way? Grow up FFS!

Yes Owen is a very good player and a world class finisher but he is also a big risk and given the length of his contract I am not sure we could risk turning down an offer that would fund us improving our squad and possibly reducing the risk.

He's Serbian, used to play for Red Star Belgrade and has all the attributes to play in the Premiership..........apart from pace and heading ability. He's a big lad but his heading is not very good at all.

I watch La Liga all the time and take in some live games in the Castilla La Mancha area a few times a year, cos I have a house there.

My fear in signing him would be that it would make our play one dimensional. Even more than it is now.

Also, Wenger had the chance to buy him and didn't. Neither did Harry or Rafa. 

Have I abused you in any way? Grow up FFS!

Yes Owen is a very good player and a world class finisher but he is also a big risk and given the length of his contract I am not sure we could risk turning down an offer that would fund us improving our squad and possibly reducing the risk.

No you haven't but your cocky 'didn't realise Zigic was Spanish' remark wasn't needed - maybe you think you're the font of all knowledge? :idiot2:

I wouldn't base our signings from what other managers have refused. They have all made mistakes.

People say if he sign a big lump he will revert to long ball football but to be honest thats all we do now unless Emre drops deep then he is being wasted. Until we get some defenders in who can pass and a manager who knows how to use tactics we will play shit football. At least Zigic will help this to an extent then if we get the right players and a quality manager the whole issue of resorting to the easy option wont be a worry and we will have a different option if we need to change the way we are playing.