Man U to make Owen bid

Guest smoggeordie

If we sold Owen, it would leave us with a terrible squad minus the one truly class player on our books and 12 million in the pocket of our greedy, manipulative chairman and his useless, struggling manager that has already proven his incompetence in the transfer market.  How does that improve the team?

You think that money will then be spent on quality defenders and a partner for the good (but somewhat overrated) Oba?  What club have you been supporting?  A fat f****** chance.  It will go to the ground expansion project and new contracts for existing players.  Even if there is re-investment, is Glenn Roeder the man you want spending it? 

In short, a monumentally stupid idea from the s*** stirring tabloids that want to see Owen out of Newcastle. 

Guest dansa

1. I seriously doubt Man U would not want Owen. Owens next club will be of the stature of Blackburn/Portsmouth and they would be stupid (as we were) to buy him.

2. 12 mil - we would and should snap their hands off.

if anyone was gonna be interested in signing owen, in my opinion, it would be arsenal: 

they consistently fail to kill teams off and need a striker who can poach and score simple goals amidst all the glorious foorball they play

they also, i feel, will spend this summer given the 'disastrous' season they've had and owen might be an option for them

i don't see owen fitting into manu's system in any way, shape or form, they'll move for torres or someone else with a better all round game

Manager and Chairman being slated once again by the usual suspects based on nowt but wild speculation. Absolutely typical of a percentage of this forum.

Does anybody know there is a £12m clause? No. But slag Roeder and the Chairman anyway.

IF there is a £12m clause, do you know the detail surrounding it? No.  But slag Roeder and the Chairman anyway.

Do you know when it kicked in if it does exist? No. But slag Roeder and the Chairman anyway.

I'd seriously doubt we'd sign a player for £17m and do a deal that would immediately force the club to release him to any club making an offer the next day of £12m.

Absolutely pathetic attitude from so-called supporters. Always looking for something to moan about. I'm frankly bored shitless of the crap attitude of people on this forum.

Criticise...Yes. But all the fucking time? Bollocks. Supporters? My arse. Supporters just don't moan at every turn as much as some do on here.

As has been pointed out already, Owen's contract ends in two years so next summer we may get nowt at all for him. Any £12m clause in existence MAY well kick in this summer but not before. If it does, you have to be intelligent enough to ask yourself why it is there, instead of the immediate knee-jerk of "let's slag Roeder and the Board". Owen is a top footballer who joined the club during a period of uncertainty. At the time of signing his contract a clause such as this would give him 2 years to judge the direction the club is heading. He's ambitious, so imo there's nowt wrong with that. Nobody knew he'd spend a full year out injured, which has had a major negative impact on the team.

If there is any sign of him not extending his contract I'd seriously consider accepting any offer of £12m for him, although I'd sooner he stayed and signed a longer deal and the club make sure he has a suitable striking partner playing alongside him.

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see them make a bid for Owen tbh.  They never replaced their 'goals on legs' player when they sold RVN and no-one questions Owen's ability to put the ball in the back of the net.  Whether there is a £12m release clause or if Owen would want to go is more debateable.

The other relevant fact is that this info is coming from the NOTW, who 2 weeks ago said Man Utd were lining up a £10m bid for Jermain Defoe.  Maybe if they predict a striker making the move to OT each week, they're bound to get one right!  For the extra £2m I know who I would prefer!!

think owen would be wise to move on.  Unless hes heard inside rumours of a change of manager, i for one, would not want the shame of playing for an incompetant manager like roeder.  It would be so frustrating as a world class striker to be shackled to the shower of shite that is nufc atmo.

Only thing keeping him here is his reputation, which would be tarnished if he moved so soon.  IF arsenal bid 18m i can see manu topping this with 20m bid.

On the very small chance that the 12m clause exists, whoat could save us is the fact that more than one club would bid for his saintly ass!

I doubt Shepherd will sell him for 12m because he said that he is the replacement for Alan Shearer and Owen will play many years here.But when we consider that fact that Owen's contract is expiring in 2 years time and if he refuse to sign new one we will lose him for even less and maybe even for free.So imo Shepherd must think about talking to Owen about his future and if he wants to be here and wants to sign new contract.If he dont then its better for us to sell him now when we have the chance to get some money.

And if you look the things in Michael Owen's perspective its normal for him to wants to move away from Newcastle

Man Utd are one of the biggest clubs in the world,playing Champions league every season and fights for the tittle every year,on the other hand we are sinking ship with shit manager and shit chairman.

If i was Owen if any bids come from Man Utd i wont hesitate too much about going there

And honestly who can blame Owen for that...?

Guest smoggeordie

TBF let's give Shepherd some credit. We wouldn't sell a player unless it was for the overall good of the football club, or was astute business. Selling Owen is neither. It's not as if we need the money badly.

Guest smoggeordie

"It's not as if we need the money badly."

think you need to re examine  the balance sheet actually.  THe club does have some financial problems

But, in the long run, what would be more valuable. 25 goals a season from Owen for the next 5 years, or  a 5million loss?

Manchester United have looked the best they do for ages this season, with a team that can pass, move, and hold the ball up. Owen and Rooney have never clicked for England, and I cant see Manyoo looking a better team with Owenin their starting XI.

For that reason, I doubt Fergie has even considered it.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

think you need to re examine  the balance sheet actually.   THe club does have some financial problems

But, in the long run, what would be more valuable. 25 goals a season from Owen for the next 5 years, or  a 5million loss?

Can absolutely guarantee you without doubt Owen won't get 25 goals a season for the next 5 years, even if he was at Barcelona he wouldn't acheive that.

think you need to re examine  the balance sheet actually.   THe club does have some financial problems

25 goals a season (or whatever he scores) for the next 5 years, without any doubt.  But that's the nub of the problem.  Owen's contract only runs for another 2 years and under the new Uefa rules, he could buy out his contract at the end of next season for approximately £5m (assuming he's on around £100k pw).

Don't sell him for £12m this summer and he could be gone for £5m next summer, gone for nothing the summer after that.  Newcastle have to get him to sign a new contract this summer or sell him imo.

think you need to re examine  the balance sheet actually.  THe club does have some financial problems

25 goals a season (or whatever he scores) for the next 5 years, without any doubt.  But that's the nub of the problem.  Owen's contract only runs for another 2 years and under the new Uefa rules, he could buy out his contract at the end of next season for approximately £5m (assuming he's on around £100k pw).

Don't sell him for £12m this summer and he could be gone for £5m next summer, gone for nothing the summer after that.  Newcastle have to get him to sign a new contract this summer or sell him imo.

Rules state that you can only buy out your contract to move to a club in another country. Owen has no intention of playing abroad ever again.

Rules state that you can only buy out your contract to move to a club in another country. Owen has no intention of playing abroad ever again.

Where/when did he state this?

Where/when did he state this?

http://search.bbc.co.uk/cgi-bin/search/results.pl?scope=all&edition=d&q=owen+real+madrid&go=Search

Radio Interview there, but he has said the same in even more certain terms pretty regularly over the past 18 months.

I stand corrected. ;)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4309136.stm

I won't play abroad again - Owen

Newcastle United striker Michael Owen does not think he will play club football abroad again.

Owen left Real Madrid for Newcastle after one season at the Bernabeu and told BBC Radio Five Live: "I very much doubt I will go abroad again.

"I wanted to see what it was like. I have opened my eyes to it now.

"But I love living at home. I knew I would always be coming back to the Premiership, it was just a matter of how many years."

The 25-year-old signed for Newcastle for a club record £17m - and has scored two goals for his new club.

"I was open-minded about going to Spain but I always knew that the Premiership was where I wanted to come back to," he added.

"I had a good time in Madrid, both on and off the pitch but I missed the UK weather, I missed the food, the Premiership and being around English people.

"It is where I was born and brought up and where I have always played my football.

"I was looking forward to getting back and now I'm back I'm enjoying every minute of it."

Owen is relishing being back in the Premiership - but has noticed that the league has changed in his absence.

"It is nice to be settled and back in the Premiership and playing every game," he said.

"Everyone is scared of losing a bit more - the defences are a bit tighter.

"It is a little bit more cautious - people are trying to hold on to a point a bit more - but in my opinion it is still the best league in the world."

And the striker denied that the Premiership is already over, with leaders Chelsea nine points clear of second-placed Charlton.

"Chelsea are playing really well and it looks like they are heading towards going plenty of points clear," added Owen.

"They are making it difficult for any other team to catch them but I don't think we have played 10 games yet.

"They are impressing and playing really well but I wouldn't say they have a stranglehold."

If they bid £18m i'd take it, but not £12m. I reckon if we kept him another 2seasons, we'd still get £10m for him, so its not worth selling for £2m extra now.

Think its a load of bollox to be honest anyway.

Saha + Heinze + £10m... Take that O0

Lets be serious, £12 million and we should snap their hands off

Erm, why? If I could trust us to spend that money wisely I might be more inclined to agree with you but even so I wouldn't want him to go.

Owen is consistantly injured, dont get me wrong, right now with no bid he is our savour, but a bid of £12million is a loss of £5million, yet it takes £110k off the wage bill every week. Martins is our main man now, hes playing in a s*** team all season, he is on the brink of 20 goals, he rarely gets injured, HE is the man we need to build this team around, with £12million we could sign another striker who will get 20 goals or more a season but wont be injured half as much as Owen. Look at the facts, Owen has been here 2 years and has made something like 11 appearences, THAT IS SHOCKING, world class or not we dont need a player who costs us so much money every week when he doesnt play. Like i said right now Owen is coming back and he is our saviour, but with his injury record, and with the fact that in a year and a half he is a free agent, plus the fact that he could jump to Liverpool any second, all these facts mean that right now if we got £12 million for him we should be laughing!

I understand the whole Roeder thing, but lets not forget Roeder gave us Martins, im not defending Roeder or anything, but the fact that he gave us Martins makes me trust him somewhat in the transfer window in regards to buying a striker.

Dont get me wrong btw, im a huge Owen fan and i love him being here, but £12million, guys i just cant stop thinking that his contract is up in 2 years and that he might stall on signing a new one. If we lost him to a free transfer id be gutted, even next summer clubs would be reluctant to bid high for him due to his contract ending. If this is true this will be the highest we will get for him should he want to leave, i think Shepherd needs to talk to Owen, find out weither or not he will sign a new deal. If not then sell.

Any idiot who knows anything about football abroad knew Martins was a good fast player for a few years now.  It was probably nothing to do with Roeder or our dumb scout. It was Emre saw Roeder crying into his cornflakes about needing a striker who then told the club about Martins.

Guest elbee909

Manager and Chairman being slated once again by the usual suspects based on nowt but wild speculation. Absolutely typical of a percentage of this forum.

Does anybody know there is a £12m clause? No. But slag Roeder and the Chairman anyway.

IF there is a £12m clause, do you know the detail surrounding it? No.  But slag Roeder and the Chairman anyway.

Do you know when it kicked in if it does exist? No. But slag Roeder and the Chairman anyway.

I'd seriously doubt we'd sign a player for £17m and do a deal that would immediately force the club to release him to any club making an offer the next day of £12m.

Absolutely pathetic attitude from so-called supporters. Always looking for something to moan about. I'm frankly bored shitless of the crap attitude of people on this forum.

Criticise...Yes. But all the fucking time? Bollocks. Supporters? My arse. Supporters just don't moan at every turn as much as some do on here.

As has been pointed out already, Owen's contract ends in two years so next summer we may get nowt at all for him. Any £12m clause in existence MAY well kick in this summer but not before. If it does, you have to be intelligent enough to ask yourself why it is there, instead of the immediate knee-jerk of "let's slag Roeder and the Board". Owen is a top footballer who joined the club during a period of uncertainty. At the time of signing his contract a clause such as this would give him 2 years to judge the direction the club is heading. He's ambitious, so imo there's nowt wrong with that. Nobody knew he'd spend a full year out injured, which has had a major negative impact on the team.

If there is any sign of him not extending his contract I'd seriously consider accepting any offer of £12m for him, although I'd sooner he stayed and signed a longer deal and the club make sure he has a suitable striking partner playing alongside him.

Completely agree.  And the argumentless moaning about the board and manager is getting a bit old, if people are going to slate them at least show your working.