Owen 50-50 for Sunday

lovejoy

So Roeder says he hasn't even discussed the situation with Owen, but Owen says he's looking at the game in a fortnight's time.

Anyone get the impression that - as with the end of last season - it's the player that's deciding when he plays rather than the manager?

And quite rightly so. Michael Owen should be sure that he's ready to play... not Roeder.

Nope. It's the club that's paying his wages.

Story

Michael misses Blues clash

Apr 20 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Michael Owen's comeback has gone on ice and Newcastle United will have to take on Chelsea at St James' Park on Sunday without their £17m man.

And while Owen himself has targeted the game with Reading at the Madejski Stadium a week on Monday, it is by no means certain he'll be back by then.

That would leave him to figure in United's last two games against Blackburn Rovers at St James' and at Watford on the last day of the season.

Owen is still not back in full training and, as revealed in The Chronicle yesterday, he is carrying a bit of groin trouble, something which often happens when a player is returning from a long lay-off.

Meanwhile, as the row about Owen playing for England shows no sign of abating, Steve McClaren was at the United training ground today to see for himself how the striker is progressing.

But Glenn Roeder's only concern is Chelsea on Sunday and he will have his skipper Scott Parker, Kieron Dyer and Antoine Sibierski back for the visit of the champions.

However, like Owen, I don't expect Shola Ameobi to figure in Sunday's game as United look for their first Premiership goal at St James' Park since the win over Liverpool on February 10.

Yet with Damien Duff likely to be out for the rest of the season, there would seem to be a chance for Charles N'Zogbia to end a disappointing season in style, but the Frenchman, who was blasted by Roeder for his lacklustre performance in the first half at Portsmouth last Saturday, will have to wait to see if he gets the nod from the manager.

Roeder told me today: "With Damien Duff out this would seem to be a good opportunity for Charles in our last four games, but I will be monitoring him in training today and again tomorrow before I make my decision on him."

United have lost only once at home in the Premiership since early November - to Manchester City - and obviously this will be put to the test on Sunday.

But Roeder has challenged United to maintain their fair form against the big four at St James' this season.

He added: "We have beaten Liverpool and drawn with Manchester United and Arsenal at home, and we don't want to miss out against Chelsea on Sunday.

"Yes we have been beaten 1-0 twice by Chelsea this season, first when their big hitters came off the bench at Stamford Bridge, and then again at home in the Carling Cup, when Didier Drogba moved a free-kick to get a better angle for his shot.

"I watched Chelsea beat West Ham on Wednesday night and they are a team full of top internationals who are in the mood at the moment.

"And with Manchester United playing tomorrow and likely to be six points ahead of them by the time Chelsea come here on Sunday, we know what to expect."

Guest Gemmill

"Yes we have been beaten 1-0 twice by Chelsea this season, first when their big hitters came off the bench at Stamford Bridge, and then again at home in the Carling Cup, when Didier Drogba moved a free-kick to get a better angle for his shot.

The non-excuse-making Glenn Roeder strikes again. :lol:

Story

Michael misses Blues clash

Apr 20 2007

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Yet with Damien Duff likely to be out for the rest of the season, there would seem to be a chance for Charles N'Zogbia to end a disappointing season in style, but the Frenchman, who was blasted by Roeder for his lacklustre performance in the first half at Portsmouth last Saturday, will have to wait to see if he gets the nod from the manager.

Roeder told me today: "With Damien Duff out this would seem to be a good opportunity for Charles in our last four games, but I will be monitoring him in training today and again tomorrow before I make my decision on him."

I hope that means that Roeder hasnt given up on Charlie 100%