Happy Birthday Shay

Rich

Because he'll obviously be reading this... but our sewpa-'keeper turned 31 today and has been at NUFC for just under 10 years; making 412(?) appearances for us.

What a guy.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/744/sgpt8.jpg

(Couldn't find one of "the save" versus Sunderland.)

How many 'keepers excel in all of those areas that you've just mentioned? How many 'keepers stay at an underachieving club for ten seasons despite apparent interest from "bigger" teams? Howay man, for £1.5M I think we did alright.

Surely, bar Shearer, he's been our best/most valuable player of the last decade?

Guest johnson293

Shay responds to Roy Keane about his recent comments about winning record caps for the republic....

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/744/sgpt8.jpg

(sorry for nicking ya pic - it the first thing that sprung to mind whe I saw it!)

How many 'keepers excel in all of those areas that you've just mentioned? How many 'keepers stay at an underachieving club for ten seasons despite apparent interest from "bigger" teams? Howay man, for £1.5M I think we did alright.

Surely, bar Shearer, he's been our best/most valuable player of the last decade?

I'm not saying he's a poor goalie. I'm just saying he's overrated.

Nah.

Whether true or not (and I think you're right that some people do think he's better than he is) Given's still been fantastic for us, and that was the general aim of the OP. He's probably won us a lot more points than he's lost us.

Whether true or not (and I think you're right that some people do think he's better than he is) Given's still been fantastic for us, and that was the general aim of the OP. He's probably won us a lot more points than he's lost us.

I'm not disputing that... and I do wish him a very overrated, but happy birthday  :lol:

:knuppel2:

We need some of the school kids in to praise him to the hilt in order to override your appalling comments.

"Given iz fkn mint leek!"

Guest johnson293

I bet he still shudders when he thinks of Dion Dublin tho!!!!

If he was only 1.5m then, surely, he must've been one of the best buys in the history of NUFC

I noticed that yesterday as well, but thought it was a mistake and found a fair few more sources quoting £1.5m - it's also the figure I remember at the time. The official site (ho ho) says £1.5m, an' all:

Kenny Dalglish, who had taken Shay to Blackburn from Celtic in 1994, moved in to bring him to St James' Park for £1.5m.  Played in the 1998 FA Cup Final and then missed out on the 1999 Final when displaced by Steve Harper, but after sitting out the start of the 1999/2000 season, ended the campaign in possession of the first-team place.