Fußball-Bundesliga

samag

Going to Hertha BSC v Bayer Leverkusen in a couple of weeks. :megusta:

Hope it goes better for you than when I was there for that game last season. Ye got thumped. Unsurprisingly, Hamburg have looked abysmal the last two games. The defending tonight in particular has been hilariously bad.

• 7 years later...

The quality of the Bundesliga, the stadiums, atmosphere and general fan experience never cease to amaze. Drink beer, smoke tabs and plastic season tickets which can be freely passed on still the norm.

Couple of interesting (or maybe not) snippets.  Jonas Wind Wolfburg's Danish player has now scored 3 consecutive penalties by getting the rebound after the keeper parried and some weeks the second division attendances aggregate higher than then the top league.

Just about everything still sells out but the 2 Liga now has some of Germany's biggest clubs in it, regularly selling out with crowds of 50+ and even 60+K attendances while a few smaller, traditionally second or third tier clubs, have been promoted to 1 Liga.

2 minutes ago, Benwell Lad said:

The quality of the Bundesliga, the stadiums, atmosphere and general fan experience never cease to amaze. Drink beer, smoke tabs and plastic season tickets which can be freely passed on still the norm.

Couple of interesting (or maybe not) snippets.  Jonas Wind Wolfburg's Danish player has now scored 3 consecutive penalties by getting the rebound after the keeper parried and some weeks the second division attendances aggregate higher than then the top league.

Just about everything still sells out but the 2 Liga now has some of Germany's biggest clubs in it, regularly selling out with crowds of 50+ and even 60+K attendances while a few smaller, traditionally second or third tier clubs, have been promoted to 1 Liga.

I find the German league to be a fucking myth to be honest. Yeah ok there are some good parts about it, but people go on like it’s a bastion of perfection.

The league is entirely dominated by Bayern Munich, even if you have money like RB Leipzig, you get a good player and he’s going to Bayern.

The majority of clubs are owned by global companies, ok fans ‘own’ 51%, but none of the good things that the Bundesliga has would have been possible without the fact that global companies own the other 49%.

People often cite cheap tickets, but they can get expensive, and Bayern charge more for Champions League games than Aston Villa have introduced.

They get good attendances, but plenty of crowds are outside of the communities they represent in Silverlink style retail parks.

16 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I find the German league to be a fucking myth to be honest. Yeah ok there are some good parts about it, but people go on like it’s a bastion of perfection.

The league is entirely dominated by Bayern Munich, even if you have money like RB Leipzig, you get a good player and he’s going to Bayern.

The majority of clubs are owned by global companies, ok fans ‘own’ 51%, but none of the good things that the Bundesliga has would have been possible without the fact that global companies own the other 49%.

People often cite cheap tickets, but they can get expensive, and Bayern charge more for Champions League games than Aston Villa have introduced.

They get good attendances, but plenty of crowds are outside of the communities they represent in Silverlink style retail parks.

You make some decent points from an interesting perspective but they have to be replied to.

It's far from a bastion of perfection but generally a lot less sanitised than the PL and, whatever the ownership model may be, fans definitely feel more a part of and closer to their clubs. Truth is a lot of football fans prefer "sanitised" so it depends on what you like.

Yes Bayern dominate, but not entirely, Leverkusen won the league last season with a 30K stadium.

Yeah, total fan ownership could never happen nowadays, though they have a degree of power in decision making.

A lot of season tickets are very affordable to all, one off tickets maybe not so much.

I'm fortunate that the ground I have been to most is right in the city centre and as close to the SJP matchday atmosphere as you'll find anywhere.

23 minutes ago, Benwell Lad said:

You make some decent points from an interesting perspective but they have to be replied to.

It's far from a bastion of perfection but generally a lot less sanitised than the PL and, whatever the ownership model may be, fans definitely feel more a part of and closer to their clubs. Truth is a lot of football fans prefer "sanitised" so it depends on what you like.

Yes Bayern dominate, but not entirely, Leverkusen won the league last season with a 30K stadium.

Yeah, total fan ownership could never happen nowadays, though they have a degree of power in decision making.

A lot of season tickets are very affordable to all, one off tickets maybe not so much.

I'm fortunate that the ground I have been to most is right in the city centre and as close to the SJP matchday atmosphere as you'll find anywhere.

I’d say winning the title for 11 years straight was total domination tbh.

26 minutes ago, Benwell Lad said:

Leverkusen are classed as one of the biggest clubs in Germany. They won the league for the first time last season.

Dortmund are classed as a massive club, and they have failed to win it for a long time, and only every do so as a 1 off.

The cheap tickets don’t come without the global company owners, and the fan support doesn’t come without the cheap tickets that allows.

How long until the likes of Stuttgart realise that they are now the German Crystal Palace? When do fans actually want to start having a chance of winning things? As soon as the Germans realise this, then that is when the cheap tickets etc all end. Let’s see where their appetite is when they are trudging to Die Silverlink for €120 knowing they still aren’t likely to mount a challenge.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

Leverkusen are classed as one of the biggest clubs in Germany. They won the league for the first time last season.

Dortmund are classed as a massive club, and they have failed to win it for a long time, and only every do so as a 1 off.

The cheap tickets don’t come without the global company owners, and the fan support doesn’t come without the cheap tickets that allows.

How long until the likes of Stuttgart realise that they are now the German Crystal Palace? When do fans actually want to start having a chance of winning things? As soon as the Germans realise this, then that is when the cheap tickets etc all end. Let’s see where their appetite is when they are trudging to Die Silverlink for €120 knowing they still aren’t likely to mount a challenge.

I think the mentality of your average German supporter is completely different to over here. Obviously you picked a bad example in Stuttgart as they finished runners up last season to Leverkusen but their culture is different. You've had the likes of Hamburg in the 2nd division for quite a few years now selling out 57,000 every week. Schalke have been in a mess down in the 2nd Division for a few years now, still 62,000 there every week. That doesn't happen over here.

I'm lucky enough to have visited half a dozen Bundesliga grounds and the general fan mentality at each one has always been the same. Enjoy yourself with your friends and family, have a good drink, and support your team unconditionally inside the stadium irrespective of the scoreline. 

Leverkusen are actually classed as a "plastic" club in Germany. Think there's only 3 non fan owned clubs in the Bundesliga and they are one of them, being majority owned by Bayer Pharmaceuticals. Wolfsburg (Volkswagon) and RB Leipzig (Red Bull) are the only other two I believe.

One thing I will say is that all the grounds I've visited are indeed miles from their respective City centres which involved either using local trains, trams or park and rides to access. Eintracht Frankfurt and Bayer Leverkusen involved walking through a forest to get to!

6 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Leverkusen are actually classed as a "plastic" club in Germany. Think there's only 3 non fan owned clubs in the Bundesliga and they are one of them, being majority owned by Bayer Pharmaceuticals. Wolfsburg (Volkswagon) and RB Leipzig (Red Bull) are the only other two I believe.

Hoffenheim as well. Sugar Daddy club who no one likes or really supports.

11 minutes ago, Disco said:

Aye they're another one as well but tbf to them, Hoffenheim is a tiny club playing from.a tiny village with a population of under 5,000 and their average crowd is around 25,000.

26 minutes ago, Disco said:

Hoffenheim are definitely the most despised club in Germany due to their rise from village club to Bundesliga and they do get a lot of stick for it.

I missed the city game as was at BMG - Union, the quality of football was poor, but the fan experience ie not getting out of seat for a decent beer was unmatched, atmosphere was good as next to the union ultras.  My 6th German ground and a bit soulless outside although the fanhaus was decent.  

24 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Aye they're another one as well but tbf to them, Hoffenheim is a tiny club playing from.a tiny village with a population of under 5,000 and their average crowd is around 25,000.

Crazy to think a club from a village of about 3,000 people have become an established Liga 1 club while Dusseldorf, HSV, Koln, Hertha, Nurnberg, Kaiserslautem and Schalke are all in Liga 2.