Owen sounding very confident

James

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=462506&CPID=8&clid=4&lid=&title=Owen:+I

Michael Owen feels his cruciate ligament injury has helped to prolong his career and believes he is quicker than he has been in recent seasons.

The striker has not played a competitive game since damaging knee ligaments in England's World Cup group fixture with Sweden last June.

He is close to a comeback for Newcastle United, although he is expected to sit out Sunday's clash with Chelsea due to a tight groin.

But when he is back in the Newcastle first team, Owen is confident that he will be faster and stronger than in the past.

"I know for a fact that when I was 17 or 18 there wasn't anybody quicker than me in the league," Owen told The People.

"In my heart of hearts I know I'm not as quick as I was then, but I'm quicker than I have been for the last two or three years and I can do more.

"Okay, so I am not built like Alan Shearer. I am small and quick, but you get what you are given in life, and I have been given this body and I have to make the most of it.

"People will find it difficult to knock me off the ball, they can't shoulder-barge me too easily because I am low and nippy. Having speed and agility is good, but strength is important, too."

Owen also revealed his belief that the long-term injury will ultimately be of benefit to his playing career.

The 27-year-old added: "I have had 10 months out and had to grit my teeth and work long hours to get back.

"Lots of people can come back from a cruciate injury, but not many people come back better from a cruciate injury. I don't think it has been a blessing in disguise - I know it has.

"I am positive this break has happened for a reason and it will prolong my career and allow me to play into my mid-30s rather than my early 30s."

Obviously it's just talk, but if he is correct, things could be looking up.

Feels so great eyt is still not ready to play agianst Chelsea, sick of hearing to be honest...

Well we could just throw him in and hope he doesn't get injured again.

Its obvious when your record signing is making a comeback they are going to make the most of it in the press, especially when we have had such a shite season.

Guest Kenton Magpie

Too risky playing him today even if fit, as for his future, the only way he will leave this season is if the fat one feels the need to line his pockets, he is in debt to us after the way we have stuck by him over the past two years, its up to us if we have him for longer than one season and the only way to do that is by playing football that gets us into a position in the leage which will make the likes of Owen want to stay and play football here for a long time!

Guest Micktoon

Why is it that every time Owen's name is mentioned on this bloody forum there is queue of people waiting to have a pop at the lad. Imo the only fucking thing he done wrong was sign for us because you bunch of fuckers can't leave him alone. Yes I know he is a selfish cunt who delibrately bust his cruciate so he wouldn't have to play for us this season, yes i know he has timed his comeback perfectly so he can play at the first new wembley international and I'm pretty sure he is wandering liverpool with a sandwhich board saying"please rafa sign me".

Come some one tell me what he has done wrong, injuries fucking happen.

Why is it that every time Owen's name is mentioned on this bloody forum there is queue of people waiting to have a pop at the lad. Imo the only f****** thing he done wrong was sign for us because you bunch of fuckers can't leave him alone. Yes I know he is a selfish c*** who delibrately bust his cruciate so he wouldn't have to play for us this season, yes i know he has timed his comeback perfectly so he can play at the first new wembley international and I'm pretty sure he is wandering liverpool with a sandwhich board saying"please rafa sign me".

Come some one tell me what he has done wrong, injuries f****** happen.

seconded

Why is it that every time Owen's name is mentioned on this bloody forum there is queue of people waiting to have a pop at the lad. Imo the only fucking thing he done wrong was sign for us because you bunch of fuckers can't leave him alone. Yes I know he is a selfish cunt who delibrately bust his cruciate so he wouldn't have to play for us this season, yes i know he has timed his comeback perfectly so he can play at the first new wembley international and I'm pretty sure he is wandering liverpool with a sandwhich board saying"please rafa sign me".

Come some one tell me what he has done wrong, injuries fucking happen.

To be fair he does want to play for his country the utter wanker!

Guest Micktoon

Why is it that every time Owen's name is mentioned on this bloody forum there is queue of people waiting to have a pop at the lad. Imo the only f****** thing he done wrong was sign for us because you bunch of fuckers can't leave him alone. Yes I know he is a selfish c*** who delibrately bust his cruciate so he wouldn't have to play for us this season, yes i know he has timed his comeback perfectly so he can play at the first new wembley international and I'm pretty sure he is wandering liverpool with a sandwhich board saying"please rafa sign me".

To be fair he does want to play for his country the utter w******!

Fair point, fancy someone wanting to play at Wembley, against Brazil, for England and in a match the could improve his overall match fitness, the utter cunt.

Fair point, fancy someone wanting to play at Wembley, against Brazil, for England and in a match the could improve his overall match fitness, the utter cunt.

I know, I saw we just cut our losses, terminate his contract and get the cancer out of our club!

I know, I saw we just cut our losses, terminate his contract and get the cancer out of our club!

Cancer's too good for him. Sell the leech and get the AIDS out of our club, more like.

You have just answered that question yourself.

Guest Micktoon

Fair point, fancy someone wanting to play at Wembley, against Brazil, for England and in a match the could improve his overall match fitness, the utter c***.

Cancer's too good for him. Sell the leech and get the AIDS out of our club, more like.

Hang the useless good for nothing from the Gallowgate and let the pidgeons take care of the waste of space.