Sol to Newcastle?

thewellander
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hyypia?

Well done to Glenn for realising what we need, like. We're crying out for an experienced head at the back.

yeah, well done Glenn, you clueless c***. You're a year too late, and not capable of the job, but well done.

Its like a teacher saying well done to a retarded kid who has just managed to understand that 1+1 = 2 a year after his classmates started learning pythagoras and calculus.

Not really, to be fair.

Well, LITERALLY, its like saying well done to a stupid, crap, useless, worthless manager, who has realised a year too late soemthing that pretty much everyone else in the country knew ages ago. But you get tmonkey's point.

I do, yeah.

God damn monkeys, always sticking up for each other.

:lol:

Dear me lads, did you miss the patronising tone of the post? Suppose it's difficult to pick up via text, though :blush:

People have been saying we need an experienced/proven defender for as long as I can remember now.

... and why has the age also gone up to 26 from 25? Glenn makes me chuckle sometimes.

Glenn Roeder towards the end of the summer transfer window, when we've signed Steve Sidwell and nobody else: "We don't want to bring anyone in under 30... 35 at a push... maybe 40. Yeah. 40."

There were doubts about Campbell last summer but hey, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

In ze fairness, this board was massively pro-Campbell unless my shite memory is massively mistaken. There were the usual hystericals calling him finished and a nutcase, but I think he had quite a few backers from the more sensible element. I'm prepared for egg on my face here though, my memory has never been my strong point. He did want to come here as well, despite the Chronicle doing a 180 on that after July, and then another 180 in August... then another one a few weeks ago... and then another one today...

It was blatantly obvious that Campbell just needed to get out of Arsenal.

You don't go from a world-class defender to a poor one just like that. He was just finished there, that's all. Not enough games, not enough support, not enough confidence - it had just gone sour. He's gone to Portsmouth to be the uber-leader, and speahead the defense, with an ecstatic welcoming from the supporters.

And guess what. Fucking superb season.

Insane that Roeder turned him down.

It was blatantly obvious that Campbell just needed to get out of Arsenal.

You don't go from a world-class defender to a poor one just like that. He was just finished there, that's all. Not enough games, not enough support, not enough confidence - it had just gone sour. He's gone to Portsmouth to be the uber-leader, and speahead the defense, with an ecstatic welcoming from the supporters.

And guess what. f****** superb season.

Insane that Roeder turned him down.

you do if you come here.

Obviously, I should add, that he could have got crocked IF he did come here, or something odd might have happened, we'll obviously never know. It was undoubtedly a gamble but it seemed a no-brainer when you looked at our other options and when it was clear he'd be here on a free. I know he'd have cost more, but fucking hell the odds are that he'd have been massively more useful than Bernard has been to us since we brought him back.

Like HTL says, it is easier with hindsight, but it doesn't change the fact that the sensible money was on signing him.

Obviously, I should add, that he could have got crocked IF he did come here, or something odd might have happened, we'll obviously never know. It was undoubtedly a gamble but it seemed a no-brainer when you looked at our other options and when it was clear he'd be here on a free. I know he'd have cost more, but f****** hell the odds are that he'd have been massively more useful than Bernard has been to us since we brought him back.

Like HTL says, it is easier with hindsight, but it doesn't change the fact that the sensible money was on signing him.

our other options were get woodgate or huth.........it's a hindsight frenzy i tells ya.

Doesn't really fit Roeder's latest criteria though, does he? He's neither under 26 nor over 30 (and with a long and distinguished career behind him)! Not that we can take Glenn's foresight on transfer activity literally, but it would be cracking if we did get the 29-year-old Distin, if only to make his media comments all the more hysterical.

Is he just winding Oliver up these days, you reckon?

Distin really would be such good business on a free. Roeder's free to buy which ever other centre-back he likes then. Two CBs for the price of one, with atleast one of them being fairly good; who he decides to open the wallet for remains to be seen. :lol:

But seriously - great transfer work undoubtedly if we do that. Get a freebie in Distin and pay good money for another good centre-back. Very un-Newcastle, but good stuff!

Well distin is in the bag tbh. Notice how I beat nsg by a full 7 minutes with that one. Not too sure of his motives seen as he has been called worse than shit every time hes come back for being a money grabbing prick....... oh wait im starting to see his motives

Guest shearer_united

He should have came last year.. No real excuse why we didn't get him here instead of going to pompey...

to be honest he was a nutjob last season and a big risk on those wages. just imagine if we had signed him on 70grand a week then hed carried on like he did at arsenal asking to come off because his head was gone

He just make himself look more and more a tit everyday. What has changed since last season Glenn, what has made you realise that we need an experienced defender now.  We were crying out for a Campbell type of player, and along he came on a free. Even if we just got a season out of him if it were like the one he has had at Pompey this season he would have been well worth it.

I will still have him here he is far better than anything that we have got but he is not getting younger his strength and speed will drop even more this season. Think he'd do a job here for another season though and Stevie Taylor is crying out for someone to guide him because all he has at the moment is a waste of space to learn off!

He just make himself look more and more a tit everyday. What has changed since last season Glenn, what has made you realise that we need an experienced defender now.  We were crying out for a Campbell type of player, and along he came on a free. Even if we just got a season out of him if it were like the one he has had at Pompey this season he would have been well worth it.

I will still have him here he is far better than anything that we have got but he is not getting younger his strength and speed will drop even more this season. Think he'd do a job here for another season though and Stevie Taylor is crying out for someone to guide him because all he has at the moment is a waste of space to learn off!

Maybe what's changed is this http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/news/tm_method=full%26objectid=17192042%26siteid=50081-name_page.html I remember Roeder saying we needed defenders a week or two before that article.