Charles N'Zogbia

Shak

The fact is, he was injured so it was obvious we needed another left winger at the club anyway, for backup at the very least. Anyway, he deserves a good kicking if he thinks he has the divine right to a starting place ahead of Damien Duff, even if Duff has been poor.

No he wasn't injured, he only got injured after the season started.

We had Milner who is quite capable of playing on the left, while Dyer or Solano could then take over on the right.

Meanwhile we had 1 defender with potential and a trio of CM's who can't make a good pairing between them.

So a LW was the priority?

I'd say it was more of the case when quality had become available, I think most people at the time said that and I was one of them I won't lie.

That's only cos you're stupid tbh.  :razz:

And Duff is quality?  :lol:

Despite his injury problems many of us at the time thought we were in for a quality player, that is correct. That was the general feeling at the time for the price he went for.

Obviously perhaps you knew different Shak due to seeing him more for Ireland but most of us weren't judging him on that.

He has been horrendous for Ireland since the 2002 WC tbh, but even then that's not the point.

The price was a good one, considering his reputation, but fact is he was a player we just didn't need who removed one of our best young players from the team while several other positions desperately needed strenghtening.

cannot remember too many complaints when we bought Duff for £5 million. Most thought it was a cracking signing.   Hopfully Big Sam can get his true potential out of him, and if he does Zoggy would have to settle for a place on the bench, as a Duff on top form is far better than Zoggy.

TBH, most thought it was a good signing for the money, but the mutual feeling was that there really wasn't that much point, and people feared for Zog's future. And guess what!

Someone mentioned above as well, but we did need another left sider whether it was Duff or not.

No we didn't. We had Milner, Zoggy, Solano and Dyer who could all do a job on the wings.

Milner and N'Zogbia aren't exactly bad options down th left.

cannot remember too many complaints when we bought Duff for £5 million. Most thought it was a cracking signing.  Hopfully Big Sam can get his true potential out of him, and if he does Zoggy would have to settle for a place on the bench, as a Duff on top form is far better than Zoggy.

WHAT?

This whole place was filled with things like "medicor player", "not needed", "could piss Zoggy right off", "we need defenders". There were a canny few on here not over the moon with us buying Duff.

cannot remember too many complaints when we bought Duff for £5 million. Most thought it was a cracking signing.  Hopfully Big Sam can get his true potential out of him, and if he does Zoggy would have to settle for a place on the bench, as a Duff on top form is far better than Zoggy.

Duff aged 22-25 was a quality player, so if we could have him then I'd be happy.

But he's past it, while N'Zogbia has his best years ahead of him.

N'Zogbia aged 19 is five times the player Duff was at that age.

cannot remember too many complaints when we bought Duff for £5 million. Most thought it was a cracking signing.   Hopfully Big Sam can get his true potential out of him, and if he does Zoggy would have to settle for a place on the bench, as a Duff on top form is far better than Zoggy.

WTF are you on fella?? :lol:

Zidane picked out 2 players for the future for France last summer one was Nasri and the other was Zoggy.

Wenger is well aware of the Zoggmeisters potential. blueyes.gif

My point was that Duff was recognised as a top player and has played and scored at the highest level. He started the majority of matches in that first PL winning season, I think, on the right wing for most of it, scored against Barca, so I can't say how people can turn around and say he didn't have a hand in it their success or wasn't seen as a quality player when we bought him.

Aye, he had a disappointing season before we bought him, but there weren't many complaining at the time.

Someone mentioned above as well, but we did need another left sider whether it was Duff or not.

No we didn't. We had Milner, Zoggy, Solano and Dyer who could all do a job on the wings.

Considering we tried to boot Milner off to Villa, we would've been left with Luque as cover.

Zidane picked out 2 players for the future for France last summer one was Nasri and the other was Zoggy.

That means fuck all, the greatest player of all time named Diouf in the 100 greatest living players, just because he was a great player doesn't mean he's a great scout of talent.

To be honest, Zoggy was dropped because his attitude stinks. He got the idea that Arsenal were in for him and his form dropped dramaticly.

He has got a 2nd chance now, lets hope he does not follow Olly Bernards example.

Looked to me like he was dropped because we bought Duff to play in his place, for some reason.

Then his attitude began to stink, and understandably so tbh.

Well he could have got his head down and tried to make the position his by putting in a performance when he got the chance. At the end of the day he is young and if you can find a balance between giving a player a decent amount of chances without putting too much pressure on him then it will be beneficial for him and the club. The player has to have the right attitude though.

By that logic Man U should have sold Ronaldo last summer, considering he wanted out.

And Milner has played more than anyone this season, and he's flourished in it. So I'd say it benefits players to play more rather than 'protecting' them.

Yes but Ronaldo's attitude wasnt poor for his club last season, he wanted to leave because of the goings on in the world cup, and this season he has had a good attitude.

Neither was Charlie's. Ronaldo's would have been 'poor' this season if they'd bought a replacement and benched him.

For a start you don't know that, and Man Utd have better existing options in their squad than we do. I appreciate that other positions needed filling before a 2nd left mid, but we did need another option on the left. As I said above he could have got his head down and tried to capitalize on his chances when he got them. Its down to the character of the person at the end of the day, they can either sulk and blame everyone else and want out, or be determined to get in the side. Milner is a good example.

Zoggy on form last season - was like no winger i've ever seen play for Newcastle. Granted, i haven't seen as many as most, but at the very top of his game - he was unstoppable. And that isn't an exaggeration, that's simply what he was. No one could handle him down that left hand side, he was immense. Roeder fucking crucified him, and if there's anything i would go as much to loathe Roeder for - it'd be this.

That's just a glimpse of what we've thrown away. People might slate someone for saying this, but it's probably true, cos he did just look that good: but he could have been one of the greatest foreign players ever to play for us.

Considering we tried to boot Milner off to Villa, we would've been left with Luque as cover.

Better than Duff tbh.  ;)

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Zoggy on form last season - was like no winger i've ever seen play for Newcastle. Granted, i haven't seen as many as most, but at the very top of his game - he was unstoppable. And that isn't an exaggeration, that's simply what he was. No one could handle him down that left hand side, he was immense. Roeder fucking crucified him, and if there's anything i would go as much to loathe Roeder for - it'd be this.

Oh dear. You're making out he's like Messi or something. Rediculous.

You mustn't have seen any winger at all then.

Christ almighty. He looked a prospect. He was rough as fuck, enthusiastic with pace but nowhere near the finished article and a headless chicken half the time. Let's not rewrite history and start saying his was fucking Maradona.

Better than Duff? He's not even better than Pattison.

To be honest, Zoggy was dropped because his attitude stinks. He got the idea that Arsenal were in for him and his form dropped dramaticly.

He has got a 2nd chance now, lets hope he does not follow Olly Bernards example.

Utter nonsense. This is typical media spin Rodent and his circus started putting out when they realised they had pushed Zoggy too far.

He is one of the best young players in this league and we/the new man should do all to keep him.

I'd rather get rid of Parker or Dyer (gone anyway).

Don't think its utter nonsence at all. Zog was one of our best players last season and is/was one of our brightest prospects but just because a player is good it doesn't mean he should be allowed to get away with whatever the hell he likes.

Better than Duff? He's not even better than Pattison.

I'd have him ahead of Pattison tbh, though I was joking with the origianl post, obviously.

I really cant see how people can call Duff at 28 past it. He has had a bad season, broken up by injury but before he came here (seems to be the trend with a lot of players), he was a quality player. There are so many players in our squad not playing to their ability at the moment. Hopefully whoever comes in can use what he has effectively because we do actually have some potentially quality players.

That means fuck all, the greatest player of all time named Diouf in the 100 greatest living players, just because he was a great player doesn't mean he's a great scout of talent.

I'd have Diouf in a heartbeat. Fantastic player.

This debate has veered into the ridiculous.

Let's keep the kid, give him his chance, but it's up to him to get off his arse and show what he's made of because he's gone backwards at an alarming rate this season.